Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'homemade'.
Found 1 result
Sound Barrier Rockets (SBR) Homemade Rocket Program The last year or so I've been building, testing, and launching homemade sugar rockets at my house. Each engine is a homemade version of Estes rocket motors, except a little bit better. I've built a static test stand to test each rocket motor. So far, I've completed a total of four static tests of what I call an F-1 motor. After the third successful static test of an F-1 a year ago, I converted it into an actual rocket and conducted a vertical launch. It flew about a half-mile into the air in a spinning trajectory. We found it in the driveway in a nearby house's driveway. Here's a photo of the flying F-1: A fourth successful static test was conducted of another F-1 engine a couple months ago. As of late, I've been designing a new rocket called the Cougar 1. It will house a much larger F-2 engine. The F-1 engine was a puny 5 inches in height. The F-2 engine is 1 foot and 4.5 inches long. It is as large as it is to launch a heavy payload of a camera and parachute over a mile into the air. Here's a picture of the Cougar 1 design: I've also been building the Cougar 1 rocket as well. So far I've cut a hole in the tube and am currently in the process of cutting the camera platform into shape. The body tube is 2.5 inches in width and 2 feet 7 inches in height. In the picture is the body tube with the cutout. (That's my foot to the side. Whoops! ) I'll be posting regular updates. Tell me your thoughts below!