Buran-Energia Shuttle

bakanando

After reading about the Buran Shuttle and the release of porkjet's MK3 parts I decided to make a replica of a shuttle that has it's main engines in-line with the spaceplane, a problem that the US shuttle has. I tried to make it as close to the real one as possible without spamming parts.

It is still in testing though, and haven't de-orbited it to see how does it handle when empty or landing.

1024x576.resizedimage

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Buran Cargo, Buran Transport, Energia, and Energia-Buran are mostly finished.

Update:

.craft files upon request.

Parachutes in all Buran are still unbalanced and might/will destroy the ship on landing.

Edited by bakanando
added .crafts

Wow, looks great! Possibly the first 0.90 version.

I'd suggest making the tail on the Shuttle taller, and replace the Jumbo-64 tanks with white ones instead.

(BTW, Would you mind offering a .craft file for the ship? :))

Right now it is extremely barebones as I forgot to put many things in both Energia and Buran that I realized when I put them together. So I still have to update the separate .craft files and tweak the combined one too.

As I mentioned, this replica is as low-as-possible part count to reduce lag and have better handling so the oranges stay. Energia is already 100+ parts and that would add at least 8 more. You are right with the tail though, it is not big enough to control the whole ship.

I will post the .craft files on thursday or friday, as this week is gonna be busy.

@Starwhip: This thing flies like two bricks slapped together, don't worry about not being able to make one.

Pretty!

Buran's RD-58's didn't fire during ascent except to circularize, like Shuttle's OMS, only kerosene-fueled.

Welp, there goes the whole thing. This one needs the thrust (about 950kN) to not flop and crash.

It did just launch once, so maybe it was for flighttest that it didn't. ;) (Yeah, I know... It did lift 60 tons of payload to LKO, though)

The only flght it did was able to land mostly unpowered (The last 9km or so IRC) and it used its LO+K (thanks Kibble) engines for maneuvering.

This shuttle has many inaccuracies, but it was a fun thing I wanted to do. It needs a Mainsail to lift itself and you can get Energia-sans-Boosters into orbit and back (which I did), so basically the payload is the whole Buran (it does help during ascent though).

Also, it works so I don't mind. I might clip a LFB instead of the mainsail just so I can have twin engines instead of the giant monster, but it's overkill.

Finally, I forgot the parachutes in the buran mk2 so I'll have to add them later today. Then I'll post the craft files.

• 2 years later...

Well Buran, it self is a spacecraft, and must be named Energia-Buran, Energia is a different Booster, while Buran is a Different Orbiter, Unlike Space Shuttle, which it self is a Space Craft. Sry, but As we cant say Space Shuttle a Launcher, Such Buran, cant be named along Shuttle.