[1.4.3] [(Re^4)visited!] Science Revisited 1.7.0

zekew11

23 hours ago, larkvi said:

Is there a list of all the changes this makes?

There's this in the OP; as well as a patch list distributed with the mod; are you looking for more specific changes?

On 2/27/2015 at 9:55 PM, zekew11 said:
  • Revised Crew v EVA Reports: Switches low space/flying crew reports to make them biome-dependant, while making the same EVA reports biome independant. No more hanging off the sides of cockpits to get that "flying at kerbin's mountains" data or EVAing every two minutes in low munar orbit. This just makes more sense this way.
  • Reduced Transmission Penalty On Numerical Experiments: Science data that is just a number (temp, grav, barometer, accelerometer, atmo data) is much more effectively transmitted. Recovering the instruments is still mildly helpful.
  • Increased Transmission Penalty On Physical Experiments: Seriously nerfs the already low transmission rates for materials studies and mystery goo.
  • Surface Sample Transmition Penalty: (in alpha, currently disabled by default) Seriously nerfs the transmission value of Surface Samples to be in line with materials studies given the "Materials_Nerfs" patch.
  • Science Lab Rebalance: Increases the Science Lab's weight to 5 tons (aprox. 2 hitchhikers). Increases lab's data and science storage. Also adds small labs to some mod-added habitats.
  • Probe Science: Adds a very low value experiment to all command modules. This data is representative of the telemetry data needed to pilot the vessel. Mostly helpful for contracts that require science transmission.
  • Hitchhiker Experiments: Replaces the hitchhiker's stock crew report with a new, slightly more valuable "Micro-Gravity" Experiment. Really just flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there zekew11, just checking to see how my old mod is doing. I like what you've done with it. The near-zero loss rate for numerical experiments especially is a good addition you made. Originally I had 100% transmission, but your setup works better. It's not worth it to bring a probe back for the difference, but for manned missions you've given the choice of getting instant science at an earlier time or waiting for the return of  your crew with full science benefits (with the risk of accidents along the way). It's very realistic. Almost all science was done with data brought back from the Apollo missions, but for a Mars mission you'd want to get started on some stuff already instead of waiting another year for the crew and their ship to return.

Edited by CaptRobau

• 2 weeks later...

Love this mod! But I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

The EVA/Crew Report reversal is working fine, but the transmission rate buffs aren't. I'm still getting 50% transmission rates for things like gravity, temperature, pressure, etc. Even modifying that stat in the Squad part .cfg files doesn't change it... any ideas?

56 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Love this mod! But I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

The EVA/Crew Report reversal is working fine, but the transmission rate buffs aren't. I'm still getting 50% transmission rates for things like gravity, temperature, pressure, etc. Even modifying that stat in the Squad part .cfg files doesn't change it... any ideas?

Not an expert by any means, but it sounds like something else is patching your transmission rates after both of those configs are loaded.

Well, I went into the part files, and noticed that there were no transmission scalars at all. I might have deleted them trying to modify them before for some reason, so if the @xmitDataScalar means "modify this field", and there's nothing to modify, then it wouldn't work. So I put them back, and I'm gonna try again.

It sounds like you should carefully make sure that the squad files are really stock (if it were me, I would use steam to forcibly re-install them) first. You might have subtly broken something. Then if it's still happening, you'll have to think through your mod list about what else could be modifying stock experiments.

The "Micro-Gravity"-Experiment from "Science Revisited Revisited" have strange behavior within the "Spectrometron" of "Station Science 2.0", which wasnt present in Station Science 1.6.

Once the Hitch is manned with an Scientist and Micro-Gravity is done once, it begins to doubles/duplicated/spam the analyzable Results in the Spectrometron after analyzed first time. It keeps happen when i move the Scientist back to another Module.

(Think involved Mods are Station Science, Science Rev Rev, Automated Science Sampler (= off). First quick LOG-investigations dont bring up any.. "Science Results".. cant find any errors..)

On 5/11/2016 at 4:15 PM, CaptRobau said:

Hi there zekew11, just checking to see how my old mod is doing. I like what you've done with it. The near-zero loss rate for numerical experiments especially is a good addition you made. Originally I had 100% transmission, but your setup works better. It's not worth it to bring a probe back for the difference, but for manned missions you've given the choice of getting instant science at an earlier time or waiting for the return of  your crew with full science benefits (with the risk of accidents along the way). It's very realistic. Almost all science was done with data brought back from the Apollo missions, but for a Mars mission you'd want to get started on some stuff already instead of waiting another year for the crew and their ship to return.

Thanks for the kind words - OPM is a stellar piece of work. I'm a min-maxer so the near-zero rates play into my style well :P. I also agree with the realism argument. Things are going well; I consider this mod essential for my playthroughs. I've been away from Kerbal Space Program for some time now, but the game has a special place in my collection. For various reasons I'm looking at studying engineering; I think Kerbal helping me rediscover my childhood passion for problem solving was on the critical path to that decision. Long story short; I'm making sure this mod stays alive until the magical future point when I have a gaming pc and some time on my hands :P

8 hours ago, Jansn67 said:

The "Micro-Gravity"-Experiment from "Science Revisited Revisited" have strange behavior within the "Spectrometron" of "Station Science 2.0", which wasnt present in Station Science 1.6.

Once the Hitch is manned with an Scientist and Micro-Gravity is done once, it begins to doubles/duplicated/spam the analyzable Results in the Spectrometron after analyzed first time. It keeps happen when i move the Scientist back to another Module.

(Think involved Mods are Station Science, Science Rev Rev, Automated Science Sampler (= off). First quick LOG-investigations dont bring up any.. "Science Results".. cant find any errors..)

I haven't played with the station science mod. I suspect there is a game engine conflict when a single part contains both an experiment and a lab though. I won't have time for a while to do a thorough investigation. The interim fix will be to release a patch that makes the Microgravity experiment contingent upon the part not also having an lab. In your save, you could accomplish this effect by deleting the config lines that add this experiment to the hitchhiker (though already launched hitchhikers would still be affected.) I'll try to get this out sooner rather than later.

On 5/20/2016 at 10:13 AM, CarnageINC said:

Got another name for your mod, instead of 'science revisited revisited', why not call it 'Science Revisited2' ?  Huh...Huh...whatcha think governor? :cool:

TREASON! I'd do it were it not for the popular Nerdyoutube chanel beating me to the joke. Also, renaming a mod thats been out a while is just confusion for everyone :P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And here's a config for Kerbalism to remove Kerbalism's telemetry experiment:

//Probe Telemetry
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]:HAS[#experimentID[probeTelemetry]]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]:HAS[#experimentID[probeTelemetry]]
}

!EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[probeTelemetry]] {}

//Geiger Counter
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]:HAS[#experimentID[geigerCounter]]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]:HAS[#experimentID[geigerCounter]]
	{
		@xmitDataScalar = 0.95
	}
}

• 2 months later...

Science Revisited Revisited is looking for an adopter!

There's not much to say really. I still appreciate this game and community immensely, but I haven't played seriously in about a year, and I don't see myself returning to modding anytime soon. I still see value in this mod, and want to give it an opportunity to be continued. Please PM me if you're interested in adopting this mod and we'll discuss. It's important to me that it ends up in good hands.

5 hours ago, zekew11 said:

There's not much to say really. I still appreciate this game and community immensely, but I haven't played seriously in about a year, and I don't see myself returning to modding anytime soon. I still see value in this mod, and want to give it an opportunity to be continued. Please PM me if you're interested in adopting this mod and we'll discuss. It's important to me that it ends up in good hands.

I second that I too hope it ends up in good hands. I've used this mod for so long that it just feels weird without it now. More logical while still very Kerbal and fits well in a Career/Science play through. Good luck.

22 hours ago, zekew11 said:

I'll give it a shot, but someone else probably would do better things with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• Reconfigured patch which nerfs the transmission rate of surface samples; Removed "EVA Manager" dependence
  • Updated Kerbal Planetary Base Systems compatibility
  • Added the USI Ranger science lab to labs explicitly rebalanced.
  • Removed :FINAL tags; added :FOR tags

Mod Status Overview

Real Gecko and I have discussed a bit more, and agreed to co-support this mod going forward. I'm at university and during terms have almost no time to commit to modding. Over winter break I've gotten a lot done, more on that later. Real Gecko isn't in a position of wanting to take ownership of this mod, but has agreed to help support it in my absences.

More on that.

• 4 months later...

I've been enjoying this mod for a long time.

Recently upgraded KSP from an older version to 1.2.2, and while tweaking all my mod settings I noticed that EVA reports while flying are back to being biome-dependant. Was the feature that made them biome-independant removed?

I do run a lot of mods, but it still happens on a clean 32-bit install with just MM and this mod.

• 1 month later...

Tested and just found it mostly works - there is an error generated when it tried to give a float value to an integer property for the USI Ranger_CommPak - but I suspect this has always been there as I've only just found / had it pointed out it was this MM config that generates that error. A simple change from 3.75 to 4 fixed my issue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.