"Top down" view on the orbital map.

Ever since 0.14, I can\'t position the camera in the orbital map view to let me see 'top down' relative to the equatorial plane. I seem to recall that there were some changes to the way the camera works. Is it no longer possible to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Too many people complained about the camera going upside down, they found it difficult to orient themselves, so the camera has been restricted and it\'s affected the map screen badly, I really miss that feature :(

The problem is not really that we can\'t go upside-down anymore, but more that we can\'t even go 90° up, which is, for me, far more of a problem.

The upside-down camera had some cool effects though =P

Ok, I think I\'ll file a feature request in the development section, then. I just wanted to make sure I wasn\'t missing something obvious. Thanks all.

I hope they\'ll make that an option someday. The earlier version worked better for me. (I\'m always disoriented anyway, so upside-down-ness was a small price to pay for being able to see the poles.)

In flight school, they intentionally disorient you and then hand you back the controls, and you have to get a hang of it.

To me, the fix would be either make it so the camera can go to 89.9 deg, or else add some form of orientation check for the camera that\'ll smoothly rotate it to universal 'up'

Since we\'re on the subject, what would you guys think of a map camera mode that is relative to the craft\'s radial axis? In other words, the camera still follows the craft but the planet and/or sky rotates behind the craft. I think it would seem more intuitive for most situations.

Just being able to look straight down from above, and straight up from below, would be enough for me right now, but later when we have more places to go It\'d be nice to have a small icon on the side of the screen showing the direction of the sun and major planets when they are out of view.

In fact when you have ships within 100km in the flight view, it\'d be nice to have those icons for them, as It can be a pain to find rendezvous targets, I think it was Freelancer that did something similar to what I\'m after, showing triangles for direction and the distance in meters for craft out of view.

Since we\'re on the subject, what would you guys think of a map camera mode that is relative to the craft\'s radial axis? In other words, the camera still follows the craft but the planet and/or sky rotates behind the craft. I think it would seem more intuitive for most situations.

If they made the camera and SAS be body-relative instead of universal, I think everyone would smile. You can accomplish what you\'re talking about with the chase camera mode, though.