TD Industries Orion bits [Alpha]

The renaming of pulse units to create an order is a very good idea. I was just sitting here considering renaming for nominal Kerbal tons of TNT, rather than the KN, so it matches full scale human kt yield. That way I could keep the same names for Realism Overhaul, with 8x impulse. Renaming so they're in order would greatly simplify things, I agree.

So much for alphabetical sorting

ZTs1fUm.png

I'll have to see if I can find where the sorting is, and what it sorts by.

• 1 month later...
Hello there.
While this mode itself works quite well and it's great because in RSS it's quite the way to go if you want to do manned exploration outside the moon and mars, there is quite a big issue concerning the bombs: simply, the kill -> button doesn't work. And this makes the vessel quite useless since 50MN bombs are too dangerous at liftoff (aerodynamic forces will destroy everyting after only one bomb) and smaller bombs alternating are just a waste and really inefficent. Even worse (but it might won't be an issue on the mod itself), if i launch it to orbit with a rocket, once i press space to activate the engine the bombs suddenly drops to 0 without any apparent reason.
Any ideas about why this happens? Many thanks in advance

Also, the log gives me a nullreferenceexception and the orbit target says that the target is null... Edited by diomedea
merged consecutive posts

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2015 at 3:35 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I'm starting a thread to keep this stuff slightly separated from Nyrath's thread.

Releasing parts for the 10m Orion craft from the early 60's. Primarily the upper craft components designed by General Atomics for NASA use, that should work on the USAF Engines (nearly identical to the "for NASA" engine designs). I'm basing my parts on compatibility with Nyrath's Orion drive mod, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28428-Orion-aka-Ol-Boom-boom

They should (mostly) work as normal spacecraft parts as well, although some parts are probably a teeny bit heavier than is normal. It's that use of inch thick plate steel and almost foot thick plates of depleted uranium shielding and so on that really does it. But apart from an intention to later add internal bomb storage to Nyrath's engine, I'm not messing with the Orion engine itself. Just providing the parts that were originally designed to go along with the drive when General Atomics was trying to sell the idea to NASA/USAF.

Downloadlink;

http://spacedock.info/mod/148/TD%20Industry's%20Orion%20bits%2010m

A436A7BE66E93288BC2F5A5E1A0523506B0A38F3

• 1 month later...

Notes for 1.1 based on prerelease;

The module/plugin doesn't work, as all plugins won't without recompiling.  Parts not related to Orion propulsion should work.  I'm not sure when I can get the module fixed up, seeing as I have no idea what I'm doing.  I have solicited help, so we might even get a working UI by the end of this (the existing UI depends on a separate library that's not in 1.1 afaik).

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

How about the space taxi?

It's gone missing.  I did one up with IVA and all, but I can't find it now.  I've been ignoring the parts for this until I get the module for the orion drive working, but I can dig up my space taxi parts.

I still have the models, and the Unity outsides, but not the insides, and I seem to have over-aggressively-cleaned my GameData folder at some stage and completely lost the part.

I'll rebuild and make it an independent mod.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
Update

• 2 months later...
On 31-3-2016 at 2:22 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Notes for 1.1 based on prerelease;

The module/plugin doesn't work, as all plugins won't without recompiling.  Parts not related to Orion propulsion should work.  I'm not sure when I can get the module fixed up, seeing as I have no idea what I'm doing.  I have solicited help, so we might even get a working UI by the end of this (the existing UI depends on a separate library that's not in 1.1 afaik).

Well, I took a second look, I fixed and  recompiled it against KSP 1.2.1 . Perhaps it works now.

• 4 months later...

Thanks to @FreeThinker and @HebaruSan both putting in some work to bring this up to date, this now functions.

Updated version is on spacedock right now.  I took the opportunity to do a rescale of the TD edition to 64% instead of 50%.  This means until I do the same to the upper stage bits mod, it'll be out of whack.  But there's now a working 6.4m(10m) and 16.8m (86f) Orion drive available.

21 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Makes me sad when a good mod gets updated, right about a few days before squad is releasing a new ksp version!

It seems unlikely that an update where the best they hype it up about is localization will break many mods.  Unless it breaks all mods.  I do expect there to be a way of adding multi-lingual descriptions for parts at least.  But I'd like to think they found a way of adding that sideways without breaking every existing parts mod.

And, um, the 16th isn't so far away as a "few days" anymore.  But I'll grant that a deadline of the 16th, might very well still be a few days away.  ;-)

12 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

It seems unlikely that an update where the best they hype it up about is localization will break many mods.  Unless it breaks all mods.  I do expect there to be a way of adding multi-lingual descriptions for parts at least.  But I'd like to think they found a way of adding that sideways without breaking every existing parts mod.

And, um, the 16th isn't so far away as a "few days" anymore.  But I'll grant that a deadline of the 16th, might very well still be a few days away.  ;-)

Right-o. This time the new version seems to only affect periferic things. Lets hope it doesnt come with a "game-changer" (pun intended)

OK, updating the Orion Bits mod as I type.  I've gone through and rescaled all the parts to 64% to match what I did with the orion drive.  But, I'd like to pick some KSP sizes for future versions.  Although the two different sizes for the upper and lower spine are going to annoy me.  I'm currently thinking Size 2 and size 1.5 (1.875m, which has been used by other mods from time to time).  I'd just round the 7m mission control areas to size 4 (5m) etc.

I mention this as, having gone back and looked at the parts, some of them are plain awful.  One is just a cylinder with basically crayon marks on it.  Jeebus.  And there's way too many.  That escape vehicle engine is a serious pain in the gluteus maximus.  It could be one part with an engine fairing and two modes.  So, also expect some changes in the next few months (although, I may wait until after the imminent 1.3 pre-release before worrying too much about that).

And my amazingly fast, surely better than dialup, upload has finished.

I agree the default should be 10M  But why not just give full tweakscale support, some people want to scale even larger., its just a matter of adding a few TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS definitions. Not that hard.

Edited by FreeThinker

17 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I agree the default should be 10M  But why not just give full tweakscale support, some people want to scale even larger., its just a matter of adding a few TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS definitions. Not that hard.

I'd have to check.  There's quite a bit of tweaking that would have to be done for scaling.  The main engine pieces would be mostly, roughly OK to scale I think.  And I guess if I just scale the number of pulse units on the magazines without scaling each unit's effectiveness I can ignore my other concerns.

My plan was basically a Kerbal scaled (aka 64%) and MM config for RSS+RO to scale up to real world values.  But for the kerbal scaled, make the parts fit in with existing sizes.  So, Kerbal/RSS sizes would be 1.875m/3m, 5m/7m, 2.5m/3.2m, 6.4m/10m.  But also, eventually there should be a (nominal) 10m, 20m, and 86f.  And Orion's don't scale in all directions.  As they get larger, they don't need to have a longer suspension stroke, so they get wide and squat.  

That turned into some weird rambling.  

TL;DR; I'll look at it, but not making any promises.

I am working on re-doing a lot of parts.  I didn't do a lot of remeshing on the main engine, but I have re-UVed it, and will have a much saner texture soon (lines that meet up, and other crazy things) eEyl2ci.png

Also, as I realized when I rescaled things, I didn't rescale the pulse unit impulse values, I started some long overdue rebuild of the magazines and am looking at combining an update of fixing values, and putting all the magazine assets in one folder with shared model and overlays for the labeling.  And I might end up with equivalents of USAF and NASA pulse unit magazines.

NWx4LKn.png

Quick test with 1.2.9 shows that a simple recompile is all that's needed to keep the old boom boom going.

enNGLWF.png

OK, and if anyone desperately needs orions in their pre-release 1.2.9, the current recompiled dll is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/rym45sre6j2uvej/USAFOrion_v1.2.9.zip?dl=0

Just replace the USAFOrion.dll in your mod where-ever it happens to be (usually GameData/modname/libraries).  It may need further updating if the linked KSP libraries change during pre-release.

Patch

39 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Quick test with 1.2.9 shows that a simple recompile is all that's needed to keep the old boom boom going.

OK, and if anyone desperately needs orions in their pre-release 1.2.9, the current recompiled dll is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/rym45sre6j2uvej/USAFOrion_v1.2.9.zip?dl=0

Just replace the USAFOrion.dll in your mod where-ever it happens to be (usually GameData/modname/libraries).  It may need further updating if the linked KSP libraries change during pre-release.

Perhaps is time to create a new Development/Release thread where you can put everything needed on the first page

Edited by FreeThinker

I struggled a bit with having parts reference non-baked in textures.  Turns out a simple issue of me exporting without an image assigned to the flag transform was stopping it working.  So, re-building the magazines can continue apace.  At a pace I'm capable of while working a full time job that takes a bit over an hour to get to or from.  While working on other mods.  n stuff.  

But those early parts are just embarrassing.  I was working through the nexus to re-texture and clean up the meshes with "lessons learnt" from the last year or so, but now that I look at the "Orion bits" I realize these parts need a revamp much much more.  So, after I actually apply a texture to the 86foot parts, I'm going to re-do the Orion Bits pretty much from scratch (except probably the 7m mission section, cos that was a poodle).  In particular, that control centre is just so bad.

Thoughts?

I am seriously thinking of consolidating parts.  EG the escape vehicle would become the crew area as a single piece.  A fuel tank.  And an engine piece.  The lower spine would still need to be modular, ditto for the mission section.  But the rather annoying fiddly bits of putting together the escape vehicle, especially those solid boosters, needs to go away.  IMHO.

Almost have the magazines done.  There were some (stupidly simple) issues getting the label switching to work, but we're on the way again.

The only remaining label issue is that I forgot to generate one of the labels (derp).

7RUIhYG.png

I'll finish up my retexturing the Orion 10m engine, then look at the 86 foot engine.  That one's more a "texturing" than "retexturing".

Then I'll be aiming solidly at fixing some of the non-engine parts.

OK, first flight of the textured 86 foot engine.

QWqoTOA.png

Them bomb loader floors very much need texturing next, and the payload interface, which is literally untextured.

And I kept trying to screenshot the flash on the map view, never could get the timing right.  But I managed here;

jbN0xmH.png

That's the night side of kerbin.

Example of texturing.

Final part (loader floor for the 86foot pusher plate Orion);

j49hL6q.png

With the old version stacked on top.  The old version was basically just unwrapped and had a basic colour applied to each sub-mesh.;

lG4CVzr.png

Although, I messed up the stack nodes somehow, and I must have rotated the part to match the leg covers.  Those cylinders with the rounded tops should line up.  But that's all fairly minor tweaks.

And the payload interface (although I still need to fix up the stack nodes on that, and tweak the fairing for the version that has a fairing) is done.  It's a much simpler part than those floors.

6KZ1U73.png

It's nice that when you zoom in past the shell, you can see the detail in the loader floors too;

l0ghZkT.png

So, it's looking pretty solid that the 86-foot Orion will be all done for the 1.3 release.

And I've decided the next update (aiming for ksp v1.3) will be scaled differently (again).  Still aiming at something around the x0.64 as suggested by NathanKell as a general Kerbal scale, but also aiming at part compatibility.  So, the engine and lower sections will actually end up being 78.125%, which is an odd number, but it sets the 3.2m lower spine to match 2.5m parts.  So, you can then do things like;

6eS8X1w.png

I'm still deciding what scale for the upper sections, but they'll either aim for just being the same size, ie, 2.5m, or the size1.5 that some mods use, 1.875m.  But leaning a bit more towards 2.5m, for greater general compatibility.

UPDATED

Rolled back to 1.2.2 (from the 1.2.9 prerelease) so I could recompile and get the updated bits n bobs out to people.  AKA I caved in to wanting to update before 1.3, because the engine parts are now perfectly happy without the upper stages.

Updates;

Plugin;

Main change is to update the max number of different pulse unit types, as each loader type counts differently, as do the yields.  So to have 6 yield sizes, with three different supplies (magazine, 10m loader floor, 80f loader floor) I need 6x3 types, which is more than the original set limit of 10.

Also, adjusted the scaling for atmosphere.  It was roughly proportional to the cube root of density, but after some research it's both a bit more complex (depends a bit on bomb yield) and should be the square of the cube-root (aka power 2/3rds) of density.  It should also scale with temperature (in reverse), but I'll need to do some math/gas physics to see if that manages to cancel out.

Parts;

All parts have been rescaled for 78.125%  This will break existing craft.  Several parts have been renamed, this will break existing craft.  78.125% is picked so that it's vaguely near the recommended Kerbal scale of 64%, and so the lower spine diameter now matches a standard kerbal size (size2 aka 2.5m).  3.2m was a bit awkward, and 2.048m wasn't a lot better (even if it did make it clear all the numbers heading towards it were powers of 2 adjusted by powers of 10).

Complete rework of the pulse unit magazines.  Much saner re-use of mesh and texture.  Values all changed to result of rescaling.  I'm not saying you have to, but those size2 batteries now stack nicely on top of the round magazines.

7RUIhYG.png

Complete re-texturing and revamp of loader floors for the 10m and 86foot Orions.  They now come in the full set of 6 pulse unit yield.  Labels are re-used from magazines.

jkiPrJq.png

Retexture of 10m and 86foot Orion engines.

AoKVZ5X.png

Payload interfaces for the 86f Orion are retextured and stack symmetry enabled for stack nodes.

6KZ1U73.png

Payload interfaces for the 10m Orion have not yet been retextured, only stack symmetry added, and some scaling changed.

text formating

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.