Unity 5 to release today?

godefroi

Didn't Squad say something about making the upgrade to Unity 5 first priority once it's released? If so, then that means 1.0 will probably be using it!

I remember exactly opposite: the game is supposed to be released with Unity 4, and after the game release, if it's possible, if it's stable, it may be updated to Unity 5.

Didn't Squad say something about making the upgrade to Unity 5 first priority once it's released? If so, then that means 1.0 will probably be using it!
If Unity 5 comes out right now, Squad is highly unlikely to reverse their course on the current update. It will likely be done in the update after this one and we'll get a message about how they want to keep the current update on track. Alternatively, the devs already have Unity 5 and are putting it into the next update.

Anyway, hopefully when/if Unity 5 comes out we can have some refactoring to make things easier on modders.

Don't get overly enthousiastic. It was announced (multiple times) that they would first wait for it to be reported stable and bugfree, then it'll probably take time to properly make the transition. An engine change is very unlikely to be a ctrl+c ctrl+v operation...

It would be an enormous risk to put the 1.0 release on a brand new engine.

And Squad never said they WOULD put KSP on the Unity 5 engine, they said they would absolutely explore the possibility.

I find it sort of annoying how people seem to think that Unity 5 will be the thing that fixes all the KSP bugs (a.k.a. as 'The Silver Bullet').

Just simply allowing more memory to be used will fix a lot of issues for people.

Not sure how Unity 5 will use CPUs but any improvement in that area will allow the game to run better.

Unity 4 does not get close to using the full capabilities of a lot of peoples' rigs.

The very least that should be expected from changing engines is allowing higher part counts before lag, increased FPS, the ability to use more MODs.

Not a silver bullet fixing bugs but overall performance improvements.

I'm glad they put in all the features in both free and professional, no more "Area lights only available in Unity Pro." At least, that's how I understand it from reading.

(splash screens are still pro-only, though.)

While I am aware that Unity 5 will not be 'The Silver Bullet', I do believe that it might increase performance and stability. Looking forward to what the devs have to say.

It will improve performance. Vanilla stability is IMHO already fine. Even modded I hardly experience any problems anymore.

I actually wouldn't mind if Squad delayed 1.0 to add in Unity 5...:cool:

I hope they don't. Since it's been released today there is no way of telling if it's going to mean months of work are going down the drain or if it's going to be an improvement within a reasonable period of time.

An engine is not something you simply add in, it's basically the thing on which a whole game is built. Even if just carrying the project over is turns out to be quite straight forward it doesn't mean all the functionality will be used properly and it might even present a huge amount of new bugs, incompatibilities and other problems.

With the stock game being as stable as it is now there's no reason to push back the release date, and finally shedding the early access stamp that puts a lot of people off, for potentially months.

I hope they just take their time, see if it works, how it works, and if it's a real improvement release a new version later. I would hate a bug filled problemfest 1.0 release that will damage the game and the community.

I think Squad deserves a great deal of credit for announcing they'll even try, in most cases changing engine this far on the development timeline would be an absolute no-go unless there were crippling problems. It does show their absolute commitment to make KSP as awesome as it can be and that they believe in this game like almost no other dev does.

Edited by ColourOfFire

I hope they don't. Since it's been released today there is no way of telling if it's going to mean months of work are going down the drain or if it's going to be an improvement within a reasonable period of time.

An engine is not something you simply add in, it's basically the thing on which a whole game is built. Even if just carrying the project over is turns out to be quite straight forward it doesn't mean all the functionality will be used properly and it might even present a huge amount of new bugs, incompatibilities and other problems.

With the stock game being as stable as it is now there's no reason to push back the release date, and finally shedding the early access stamp that puts a lot of people off, for potentially months.

I hope they just take their time, see if it works, how it works, and if it's a real improvement release a new version later. I would hate a bug filled problemfest 1.0 release that will damage the game and the community.

I think Squad deserves a great deal of credit for announcing they'll even try, in most cases changing engine this far on the development timeline would be an absolute no-go unless there were crippling problems. It does show their absolute commitment to make KSP as awesome as it can be and that they believe in this game like almost no other dev does.

You make it sound like Unity 5 is a completely new engine and not a re-work of Unity 4... it's an update ffs. The engine developer is specifically intending projects made on Unity 4 to be ported to 5...

Besides, Unity 5 has had months of beta testing. It's ready. You aren't a software dev by the sounds of it with your naive speculation that everything is going to be completely broken and hard to port. It'll take some extra work, but I'd rather have 1.0 delayed a month and a half and have x64 on Windows...

>With the stock game being as stable as it is now

LMFAO

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.