collect science data from space around kerbin: what data exactly?

so I was playing career when a mission popped up where I had to "collect science data from space around kerbin". I searched the forums but didn't find any answers, so I decided to ask it myself: what science data do I need to collect? is anything enough? or do I need a special science module? do I need to collect the data from various points in orbit or just one?

can someone please help me?

thank you in advance!

Edited by BoobyTrapGaming

Furthermore, to complete a contract the science doesn't need to be new. In other words, if you get a contract in the future that asks for science from a place from which you've already collected science, you can repeat the same experiment. Even though you may not collect any new science points from the repeated experiment, it will fulfill the contract.

(edit to add) ... There may be an issue of this not working with some mod science instruments. It should work with stock science instruments.

Edited by OhioBob

Like red iron allerady said, any science data is good. It does not even have to yield and points, for example a crew report that you allready recovered wont give you any science but it will complete the contract if you transmit another one

Doing crew reports is the easiest, I've found. Another way would be to accept and fulfill a satellite contract, making sure to put a thermometer on the craft (many of the contracts require one anyway), and then just leave it in orbit. That way you get two birds with one stone, and future science from XX orbit contracts can be very quickly and easily completed. Think of it as free cash.

Edited by Barefoot Friar
Speling

I think its most fun to try send back data relevant to what the flavor text of the contract seems to be desiring or requesting. For example, if they mention common argument about Kerbin being a sphere or oblate spheroid, I try to send back gravity survey. If they are engineering company talking about explosive failures I figure they want data on how chemistry or material samples behave in space. IMO it seems likely a system like this will be implemented in future update much like the current requests for specific types of surveys on planet surfaces.

... and future science from XX orbit contracts can be very quickly and easily completed. Think of it as free cash.

I think it is a good idea to always include a repeatable science experiment on any probe or lander that will be left in place. It is very common to get "collect science data from space around X" from places you've already been. You may even get the same contract multiple times. If you already have an old probe/lander parked there, you can fulfill the new contract immediately and for free. Thermometers are good for this because they are cheap, repeatable, and can be used both on the surface and in space (low).

Example: I got an old robotic lander sitting on Moho whose primary mission has already ended. Since then I have twice received "collect science data from space around Moho" contracts. All a had to do was return to my lander, pulse the engine to lift a few meters off the ground, quickly log the temperature before touching back down again, and transmit the science data. Contract completed in almost no time and easy money in the bank.

Once you unlock the Rockmax 48-7S engine, the first probe core with SAS (the one after the Sputnik) and the basic solar cells, you can put in space a probe with an antenna, a thermometer and enough dV that it can do "Science from space" missions anywhere up to and including Duna, Eve and their moons, all of this for about 8k a launch and within the parts limit and tonnage limit of the Level 1 VAB and Launchpad.

Yeah, as soon as you have a satellite somewhere the "Transmit or Recover Science Data from..." contracts are easy money.

Also fun tip: Crew Reports only need a command pod, no Kerbal required! This might be useful if your mission used a separate ascent vehicle and return ship, or if you're using a life support mod.

Furthermore, to complete a contract the science doesn't need to be new. In other words, if you get a contract in the future that asks for science from a place from which you've already collected science, you can repeat the same experiment. Even though you may not collect any new science points from the repeated experiment, it will fulfill the contract.

That is what I thought also. But i got stuck on using "dynamic ablation of neutrinos" from Dmagic orbital science mod. I got a contract to do it on a Munar pole but it was already done. When I tried to do it i just got a messadge that the experiment was already done and I have to do move to a diferent biome to do it again.

Might be a mod problem, but not a stock problem.

That is what I thought also. But i got stuck on using "dynamic ablation of neutrinos" from Dmagic orbital science mod. I got a contract to do it on a Munar pole but it was already done. When I tried to do it i just got a messadge that the experiment was already done and I have to do move to a diferent biome to do it again.

Might be a mod problem, but not a stock problem.

Yes, there may be an issue with non-stock science experiments. I once tried to transmit science from a SAR Altimeter (ScanSat mod) to complete a contract and it didn't work. It didn't give me an error message but I didn't get the money for completing the contract. I tried again using a Gravioli Detector and it worked. I've never had a problem using any of the stock science instruments.

Hmm.

All of my contracts specifically state that it must be a "new" satellite/station.

I even tried cheating by separating my existing Mun station and reassembling it with the addition of one new module.

Didn't work.

Also fun tip: Crew Reports only need a command pod, no Kerbal required! This might be useful if your mission used a separate ascent vehicle and return ship, or if you're using a life support mod.

yeah that should be fixed in my opinion. Having free money from "sience from xxx" contracts is already enough of an exploit :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.