[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

...Check the user guide (PDF) on the main page for more info.

I did read the user guide several times...thank you. However, not all contents in the inventory require a wrench/screwdriver. There are ground-based science experiments that don't require these tools. I am relegated to using the scenario I detailed in post #421.

Regardless, I like the new KIS system. When I figure out its idiosyncrasies, I'll enjoy it even more. Thank you for developing this and KAS. KAS is a "must have" for me; I expect KIS to be likewise.

Sidebar: I'm modding some KIS in-line containers in the stock fashion.

I was imagining a crane/JCB (type of digger etc) for the kerbals. If equipped, then you would effectively have a off site VAB. :)

If I had time, I'd model the crane. It needs to be a little short stout fellar. :P

Off site VAB is the end goal yes.

But before that, I need to work on the release of KIS 1.1, fix bugs, update KAS, fix bugs, create KCS (kerbal crafting system), fix bugs, and maybe create a fourth mod (Kerbal Building System ?), I also need to convince my wife that I'm not loosing my time to code weird things for a game with small green fellows... So it's a long way to go. :D

Edited by KospY

Please retain the KAS containers in some capacity... the spearhead shapes fit very nicely in the mk2 cargo bay. Just saying.

The new one too ;)

gzy4Hefl.png

Anyway, don't worry, I think I will release an optional pack with the old containers when KAS will be updated.

Edited by KospY

There is some important features missing from KAS (multiple mounts on the same part, ground anchor, carryable container), so I need to update KIS again before updating KAS to remove the old storage system.

The good news is KIS 1.1.0 is feature complete right now.

Does this mean KIS 1.1.0 will have ground attach? EL's stakes rather need that feature.

Is the kerbal's disappearing inventory fixed in the next version? I just sent a mess of parts to my station assuming my engineer could install the critical part I needed, only to discover that the tools I sent him out with were gone.

Is the kerbal's disappearing inventory fixed in the next version? I just sent a mess of parts to my station assuming my engineer could install the critical part I needed, only to discover that the tools I sent him out with were gone.

It's really not a bug, problem is with crew pods without IVAs. You need a INTERNAL node. This MM patch should do it (if anyone has improvements or can show me where I went wrong please chime in). Post 1.0 all stock crew containers will have IVAs, and hopefully modders will at least put in the place holder, so hopefully this isn't needed for long.

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[*],!INTERNAL[]]:FINAL
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

It's really not a bug, problem is with crew pods without IVAs. You need a INTERNAL node. This MM patch should do it (if anyone has improvements or can show me where I went wrong please chime in). Post 1.0 all stock crew containers will have IVAs, and hopefully modders will at least put in the place holder, so hopefully this isn't needed for long.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.

Kospy, I suggest including some kind of MM fallback file like this as even though Squad will get IVAs in there, there will always be mods that don't. Tough problem for users to debug.

I found an interesting "feature"... Volume calculation doesn't seem to take rescaleFactor = x into account, parts with any value other than 1 are counted as if it were 1 leading to many parts having an incorrect volume and many rescaled parts having the same volume as the original.

I have yet to test extensively with other scaling methods.

Unfortunatly, KSP physic on ground is pretty buggy...

Avoid dropping small part on the ground. I personally drop them on the container to avoid problem :)

HOLD IT! (phoenix wright reference) Then why does the KAS drop work while the KIS drop does not? Huh? HUH?! HUUUH?!?!? *dances aggressively to drive his point home*

HOLD IT! (phoenix wright reference) Then why does the KAS drop work while the KIS drop does not? Huh? HUH?! HUUUH?!?!? *dances aggressively to drive his point home*

I've had things explode plenty of times after dropping something with KAS. It's probably the ground attach deal.

There's a big difference between dropping on the ground (G) and attaching to the ground (H). Dropping tends to cause the parts to explode, attaching does not because the part doesn't move relative to the ground.

Anyway, don't worry, I think I will release an optional pack with the old containers when KAS will be updated.

Please maintain the KAS Grab/Take functionality as well. Some other mods depend on them.

For instance, I use the Munar Surfaces Experiments mod which has four objects that collect Science. Oddly, the only way to use these is they must be on the back of the kerbal.

Munar Surfaces Experiment package

1. I remove the object from the KIS container using KIS's native drag function.

2. Instead of KIS/Attaching, I drop the object and quickly press P-key to put it on the kerbal's back.

3. I take a reading with the object.

4. I then must Attach it to the ground to retrieve/take the data from the object.

5. Finally, I use KIS's grab-and-drag functionality to place the object back into the KIS container.

Obviously, this wonky situation is not a KIS problem nor is it yours. It just requires KAS's functionality.

Warning: These parts no longer contain probe cores, so you must run the experiment before planting them on the ground!

Sidebar: thank you for making the Engineer meaningful. Instead of one kerbal (pilot) landing on planets/moons/etc, I now have two: pilot and engineer.

Edited by Apollo13

Sidebar: thank you for making the Engineer meaningful.

That's the first time I've seen someone think Engineers weren't meaningful. After you unlock probe cores with SAS, pilots are near useless. Scientists are never useful because experiment science is so dwarfed by contract science. Engineers start out useful (they can do things nothing else in the game can do) and most every mod that gives a bonus for specific professions gives those bonuses to Engineers.

Hello Forums. I was just inquiring about the idea of keeping the KAS "Grab and hold" functionality, as I would like to know if this will be continued in KIS? As Apollo13 has previously stated, carrying objects on the backs of Kerbals is a very fun and realistic feature!

Edited by samsamsammy

Please maintain the KAS Grab/Take functionality as well. Some other mods depend on them.

For instance, I use the Munar Surfaces Experiments mod which has four objects that collect Science. Oddly, the only way to use these is they must be on the back of the kerbal.

2. Instead of KIS/Attaching, I drop the object and quickly press P-key to put it on the kerbal's back.

4. I then must Attach it to the ground to retrieve/take the data from the object.

5. Finally, I use KIS's grab-and-drag functionality to place the object back into the KIS container.

Obviously, this wonky situation is not a KIS problem nor is it yours. It just requires KAS's functionality.

Sidebar: thank you for making the Engineer meaningful. Instead of one kerbal (pilot) landing on planets/moons/etc, I now have two: pilot and engineer.

Don't worry, AlbertKermin will adapt his experiments for KIS. KIS has its own EVA part equip, and other modders should comply with this funcionality.

I didn't use this mod, so I wonder why you need to attach the surface experiment on kerbal back ?

Why not simply drop it on the ground, take the reading and grab it again ?

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Forums. I was just inquiring about the idea of keeping the KAS "Grab and hold" functionality, as I would like to know if this will be continued in KIS? As Apollo13 has previously stated, carrying objects on the backs of Kerbals is a very fun and realistic feature!

Well, grabbing part one by one on kerbal back (like KAS) is maybe realistic, but, from a gameplay point of view it's really to complicated to use and not smooth at all.

The goal of KIS is to simplify part manipulation by using an inventory with drag & drop capabilities. It's really far more simple to use and I don't think it break fun or immersion, inventories is pretty common in a lot of game.

Anyway, carrying object on the backs of Kerbals is always possible if needed, you just need to configure it for the part you want (using the equip/unequip feature).

In KIS 1.1, you will also be able to carry small container on back by default (carried container don't take volume in the inventory and are shown on back of the kerbal), you can configure this feature for other parts if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this mean KIS 1.1.0 will have ground attach? EL's stakes rather need that feature.

Yes. A ground attachable part will be in.

EL's stakes will be able to use that feature by using the ModuleKISItemGroundAnchor module

- - - Updated - - -

And if a non-engineer could do it without a wrench that would be awesome.

Sorry to disappoint you but you will need a wrench or a screwdriver for attaching stuff on ground too.

- - - Updated - - -

@PART
[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity
[*],!INTERNAL[]]:FINAL
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

Exactly, pod without internal cause problem. I can't really do something about this because the way KIS handle transfer depend on the internal (checking seats).

Also, setting an internal (at least the placeholder) is highly recommended, not having one can cause others problems.

To my knowledge, stock KSP didn't have any pod without internal.

- - - Updated - - -

I found an interesting "feature"... Volume calculation doesn't seem to take rescaleFactor = x into account, parts with any value other than 1 are counted as if it were 1 leading to many parts having an incorrect volume and many rescaled parts having the same volume as the original.

I have yet to test extensively with other scaling methods.

Thanks for the report, I will take a look.

I didn't use this mod, so I wonder why you need to attach the surface experiment on kerbal back ?

Why not simply drop it on the ground, take the reading and grab it again ?

Because that doesn't work, i.e., the player cannot make a reading from the dropped object. My scenario (post 443) lays out precisely what must be done in the order it is to be done. That same post quotes from the mod's thread: Warning: These parts no longer contain probe cores, so you must run the experiment before planting them on the ground!