Ki, Kd, Kd

Epicsauce

I think he was asking about their recently-exposed parameters.

Afraid I don't know much but they probably have to do with how hard and how quickly the force grows with relation to angle. Right now we have SAS modules that overcompensate ridiculously for small craft but won't bother shoving a large craft full-force until the aerodynamics already have it circling the drain. If you could match them perfectly to the acceleration characteristics of your craft you'd have rock solid flight

• 1 month later...

They are used to help stabilize the aircraft/spacecraft. More you use, the more stable :3

In reality, the more you use, the more quickly the SAS module applies force. This has nothing to do with stability: it would be very simple to create a set of large PID gains that cause the system to be unstable.

In reality, the more you use, the more quickly the SAS module applies force. This has nothing to do with stability: it would be very simple to create a set of large PID gains that cause the system to be unstable.

It also multiplies the total force available from the SASs.

On my larger designs where the standard command pod lacks sufficient control authority to prevent a ballistic gravity turn into the ground upon launch, I often find myself resorting to several SASs on lower stages (but still as few as I can get away with). Note that this is not due to instability - I try to remedy that issue by shuffling parts around and adding winglets, if the problem arises - but due simply to the fact that I no longer have sufficient authority to STEER the ship anymore (especially in view of its massive positive stability).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.