The 'new forum' is a joke.

Robotengineer

I think the reason people got so upset and believed it is because of two reasons. The Curse mod hosting deal and the fact that .23.5 was released on April 1st. So the community doesn't trust Squad with community websites and hosting, and they don't think it's an April fools day joke because a previous release wasn't. (I don't know about April fools day jokes prior to 2014, I wasn't a community member then.)

The fact that it was done two weeks too early probably contributed.

I think the reason people got so upset and believed it is because of two reasons.

Actually, it's because of 1 - no-one considered that April Fools pranks can be executed 12 days before April Fools Day. Yeah, it says 'a week on Wednesday' which is April 1st, but at this point in March, April Fools doesn't even cross peoples minds.

Yesh, the best ones are the ones that take months brewing and preparing, but the release is on April 1st, not 12 days beforehand! Ffs..

I think the worrying thing is that it seemed entirely reasonable to expect that a forum would attempt changes like that. It says bad things about how websites can be run today, and what people expect of them.

Although that probably made it more effective as a joke, that decisions like a 140 character limit, tagged age/gender/location, effective up/downvotes (ie, ones that affect the position of a thread instead of simply rating it.), social media integration and charging for basic features all seemed like something that someone would attempt or otherwise consider a good idea.

The least plausible feature is probably the interactive forum assistant (Walt). It would also (assuming an option to turn it off) be the only possibly good one. (Tumblr integration might be useful for image hosting images could be grouped like with Imgur, but it's blocked in as one feature in line with Facebook integration, so it's rapidly cancelled out.)

So as a joke towards the current state and trend of websites, I like this week early april fools, now that I know that's what it is.

For the moment, anyway.

I know that everyone is dealing with this joke differently, but if you guys could not start flame wars with each other that would be great.

Please don't get hostile with each other here, that is against the rules. We are watching the thread, so don't post things that would get you in trouble.

Edited by shadowsutekh

I like the contributing people, but to strip us of all of those features to pay them? No.

Grouping similar posts? That would literally kill a few forum games.

While they do deserve something, thank goodness this was a joke.

EDIT: You know what actually? Unlocking us to everyone but the Pro Kerbliser at first and having to pay maybe $1 for it sounds pretty cool.

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

Do you laugh at gullible people in real life as well?

Sometimes, yes. I am a bad bad person. But i definitely wont *praise* gullibility, lack of humor or alarmism when there is always the option of thinking. Its really not rocket science :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you're only trying to incite, we'd rather you not post anything. Thanks.

My pleasure.

Maybe I'm just dark but I loved it for the reaction from the community. I mean if it was done on April first like a lot of people are suggesting most people would look at it, see the date and call it out then and there. It wouldn't of worked as well, hence posting it now and referencing April first.

I also love how it shows how prone the community is to jumping to conclusions even to the most absurd (140 characters didn't set anyone else off that it was bs?) and not being able to laugh at its self. I mean you got fooled on an Internet forum for a game, big whoop. I'm surprised it's a greater reaction than Half Life 3 being denied by Gabe Newell.

Loved the clippy reference by the way Kasper, well done.

I also love how it shows how prone the community is to jumping to conclusions even to the most absurd (140 characters didn't set anyone else off that it was bs?) and not being able to laugh at its self. I mean you got fooled on an Internet forum for a game, big whoop.

Spot on, have rep.

I think the worrying thing is that it seemed entirely reasonable to expect that a forum would attempt changes like that. It says bad things about how websites can be run today, and what people expect of them.

Completely agree there, though I'm afraid it's a discussion with no end.

...so will we still have signatures and smileys if we cannot spend $10?

Just read spoiler tags... everyone uses those

And avatars... but I like my avatar, and other people's

And emails... but I contact people through those

And a 140 character limit... Then how are we supposed to do mission reports???!!!!???? I mean seriously, will people have to post one picture with narration and that's it?

Aaaaannnnndddd... It's a joke?

relief and utter face-palm.

Edited by SelectHalfling0
read some more

I worked in a large company that published a regular newsletter, and a special edition on April 1. It was full of inside jokes that worked well while the company was relatively local, but, as it grew and hired more people from other countries, the newsletter that followed the April 1 edition had to include more and longer explanations. After a certain point, the work of responding to all the feedback exceeded the benefit of a few laughs in the home office, and they stopped doing special editions for April 1.

April Fool's Day is just dumb. Really, what sick culture dedicates a whole day to making fun of others and making them look bad?

There is always the invitation included to get over the fact of maybe beeing fooled and laughed about by someone in the first place, and chime in the laughter with everyone else afterwards. Or at least take it like a clown with a cake in the face, smiling and not bitching around about it. At least thats a culture i for myself quite like. Very american :)

There is always the invitation included to get over the fact of maybe beeing fooled and laughed about by someone in the first place, and chime in the laughter with everyone else afterwards. Or at least take it like a clown with a cake in the face, smiling and not bitching around about it. At least thats a culture i for myself quite like. Very american :)

Yeah, it's those friendly, innocent pranks I'm fine with. But stuff like this which totally gets out of hand and hurts many people is what I find extremely insulting to me, being part of a nation that celebrates this.

Yeah, it's those friendly, innocent pranks I'm fine with. But stuff like this which totally gets out of hand and hurts many people is what I find extremely insulting to me, being part of a nation that celebrates this.

How did it hurt anyone? No one lost money. No one was injured, no one lost any property. No one had personal private information divulged. The only thing that got hurt was your pride and ego. Sorry, that's not getting hurt.