[1.4.x] Contract Pack: Tourism Plus [v1.5.2] [2016-12-14]

nightingale

That would be Arsonide's work that you're seeing in the 1.0 previews.

As to the future of this contract pack, it'll still be around in 1.0, but it'll probably be the last thing I update as I want to get a sense of what's in stock. Do I change some of the stuff over to stock systems? Do I disable/replace the stock contracts or do I simple add stuff around it? Bunch of things that I need to think about once I've had time to play with it.

I'll put this out now for people to answer once they've had a chance to play with the stock tourism contracts:

1. What do you dislike about the stock contracts?
  2. What do you like about the stock contracts?
  3. What do you like better about this contract pack?
  4. What do you like better about the stock contracts?
  5. Is there something that neither has that you wish was there?

Okay, unofficially, this should work in KSP 1.0, but an update will be forthcoming.

First, a quick discussion of the differences between stock tourism and this contract pack:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 0]

[TR]

[TD]#[/TD]

[TD]Stock[/TD]

[TD]Contract Pack[/TD]

[TD]Contract Pack Changes for 1.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1.[/TD]

[TD]Tourists must be loaded manually.[/TD]

[TD]Tourists are loaded automatically via a popup on the launch pad.[/TD]

[TD]Struggled with this one a bit. Players will have become used to manual loading of passengers, so there's likely to be some player confusion if they do not see the tourists available to load in the VAB/SPH/launch window. However, this contract pack has some late-game contracts that require 50-100 tourists to be loaded. I'm not going to ask players to do that manually. :)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2.[/TD]

[TD]Tourists have individual itineraries.[/TD]

[TD]Tourists within a contract have the same itinerary.[/TD]

[TD]No change. The stock way makes it needlessly complicated for the players, in my opinion.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3.[/TD]

[TD]Contract rewards are per tourist, per leg of trip, plus a recovery reward[/TD]

[TD]Contract rewards are lump sum (but dependent on number of tourists) and at contract completion time[/TD]

[TD]No change. The contract pack kind of forces the tourists to all go together anyway. And why should they pay in orbit, and then pay some more to get home? Better to just do it at the end.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4.[/TD]

[TD]Tourists can ask to go anywhere.[/TD]

[TD]Tourism is mostly limited to Kerbin/Mun/Minmus (with the exception of a late-game Jool tour)[/TD]

[TD]No change. Tourism with Kerbin's SOI pays the player well enough, I don't see a need to force the player to bring tourists way out there. That might be a good super late-game tourism contract though (for KSPI style play?)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Other things that the Tourism Contract Pack give that stock does not:

1. Station/base tourism
  2. Contracts for building space-tourist attractions (and contracts for visiting them)
  3. Asteroid tourism

So the general plan for this contract pack:

1. Make sure nothing's broken
  2. Potentially re-balance rewards based on stock
  3. Disable stock tourism as part of this contract
  4. Rename it to Tourism Plus to prevent confusion with stock
  5. Possibly add more unique elements to differentiate it even more from stock

So, anyone have feedback on this plan? Suggestions on additional features/contracts that would make it even better? Things stock does well/poorly that I missed?

I agree Nightingale about some of the points. I like the new Stock tourist packs. But the Trips to other planets are really not needed... And they pop up too much. I think of Tourism as a kind of quick trip into Kerbin SOI and back. Kind of like satellite contracts but with rich folk.

You should be all set now with getting rid of the tourist now.. Seems its built into the new Tourist Class that they can be removed without issues.

... First, a quick discussion of the differences between stock tourism and this contract pack...

Agreed on all of this chap. One suggestion would be to change the name of your pack slightly. Tourism+ or something like that.

EDIT - Tourism Pro Contracts. RealTourism. TheseTouristContractsAreBetterThanStock... I could go on.

Edited by AlphaAsh

I like the plan as well. I think a focus on station/base contracts would be appreciated by many, especially given the previous considerations for attractions. Missions with relatively long durations (stay at the station for 30 days) give motivation to expand stations, plus they make running proper shuttles somewhat interesting if you have something that works a bit more like stock with different itineraries. Now you get something that can work like some of the various transportation games out there where you have many overlapping tourist missions where you're shuttling a bunch to point A (station) for various durations, dropping some off, picking up others to go to point B (Minmus base) for various durations, etc. Some of us like that sort of thing...

Thanks all for the feedback/encouragement... I'll get a new version of this out in the next couple days (hopefully by the end of the weekend).

You should be all set now with getting rid of the tourist now.. Seems its built into the new Tourist Class that they can be removed without issues.

Yup, thought as much, I'll be glad to pull out all the hacks around that stuff. :)

I like the plan as well. I think a focus on station/base contracts would be appreciated by many, especially given the previous considerations for attractions. Missions with relatively long durations (stay at the station for 30 days) give motivation to expand stations, plus they make running proper shuttles somewhat interesting if you have something that works a bit more like stock with different itineraries. Now you get something that can work like some of the various transportation games out there where you have many overlapping tourist missions where you're shuttling a bunch to point A (station) for various durations, dropping some off, picking up others to go to point B (Minmus base) for various durations, etc. Some of us like that sort of thing...

I debated either increasing the stay durations or giving them a random range... but since most players don't play with life support mods they just end up time warping through them... so not sure if I want to increase them or not. I'll have to give this one some more thought.

I debated either increasing the stay durations or giving them a random range... but since most players don't play with life support mods they just end up time warping through them... so not sure if I want to increase them or not. I'll have to give this one some more thought.

Suggestion: you can use courage and/or stupidity of tourist in some formula to find out, how many days that kerbal needs to catch maximum impression level (so the tourist is satisfied) to complete his contract. :)

Alrighty, new version of the contract pack is ready. Download now!

ContractPack-Tourism 1.1.0

• Disables stock tourism contracts.
  • Added sub-orbital contract.
  • Minor text cleanup.

There's wasn't a ton of changes, the biggest one is the new sub-orbital contracts. They're a bit different than the stock ones in that they require a specific location to be visited (maybe the tourists want to see their house from space?). Made for people who like survey contracts. :)

Oh, and as a bonus (since it was already working this way), there are both the stock and Contract Configurator methods of loading passengers available. So you can either load up passengers in the VAB/SPH, or just make sure there's enough empty seats and go through the pop up dialog on the launch pad.

Well, how about either a setting or checking for the life support mods and switching that way? I've always used TAC and am likely to switch to USI, so having real tourist missions of lengthy duration increases the challenge with life support - particularly with a OKS setup if you are trying to get close to closed loop - adding 20 tourists becomes somewhat nontrivial. For those without life support, make it hours or whatever is suitable. The station contract pack has life support resupply missions, so it's doing pretty much this.

I can't get tito to spawn when I accept the first contract. He does not appear in the crew roster, and I get the following message in the log:

[EXC 12:22:14.640] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ContractConfigurator.Behaviour.SpawnPassengers.OnAccepted ()

ContractConfigurator.ContractBehaviour.Accept ()

ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract.OnAccepted ()

Contracts.Contract.SetState (State newState)

Contracts.Contract.Accept ()

MissionControl.BtnInputAccept (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)

UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)

AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr)

UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex)

UIManager.DispatchInput ()

UIManager.Update ()

UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI ()

SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera ()

SpaceCenterCamera2.Update ()

On KSP 1.0.2, Contact configurator 1.0.1 and Tourism Plus 1.1.0

Reproduced, bug in Contract Configurator. Don't have much time at the moment, but will attempt to get a quick fix out on the Contract Configurator thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Done, fix is up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, how about either a setting or checking for the life support mods and switching that way? I've always used TAC and am likely to switch to USI, so having real tourist missions of lengthy duration increases the challenge with life support - particularly with a OKS setup if you are trying to get close to closed loop - adding 20 tourists becomes somewhat nontrivial. For those without life support, make it hours or whatever is suitable. The station contract pack has life support resupply missions, so it's doing pretty much this.

There's some good ideas here, will need to give it some more thought. Raised [#4] so I don't forget about it.

So I installed this and got a contract to take a rich Kerbal to space for four hours, so I whip up a simple rocket with two pods and leave the second one empty for the guy.

The blurb text mentions I'm supposed to pick him up from the pad and the image gallery from page 1 shows a nice GUI to manage passengers, but I can't find any way to make the guy get in the rocket.

How do I open up the menu to manage passengers?

It should pop up automatically if there's room on the ship.

There's a bug that was just fixed this morning though - make sure you have Contract Configurator 1.0.2 installed.

I installed it with CKAN and it says it's 1.0.2.

I wonder if my save got corrupted by the patches... I think I'll try restarting. I was in the very early game anyways, I'll just give myself some extra starting money and see if it works on a new save.

I installed it with CKAN and it says it's 1.0.2.

I wonder if my save got corrupted by the patches... I think I'll try restarting. I was in the very early game anyways, I'll just give myself some extra starting money and see if it works on a new save.

The other thing to try is to just cancel the contract and have it regenerate. If you had accepted the contract before the 1.0.2 update that could be why. Otherwise, if you are still having the issue in a new save, post up the log and I'll have a look.

I just had a contract, in which I was supposed to bring a Kerbal to Orbit and back. Once in Orbit, all mission parameters were green, hence the 1st part of the mission was successful. After returning to Kerbin, this 1st part however, was marked as unsuccessful, since no orbit was achieved. I believe this has something to do with the fact, that the 1st part is marked successful as soon as an orbit is achieved, the mission requires however that at least one full orbit has been made. Can this be made clearer in the description? Otherwise, thanks for making this pack, very nice!! :)

I just had a contract, in which I was supposed to bring a Kerbal to Orbit and back. Once in Orbit, all mission parameters were green, hence the 1st part of the mission was successful. After returning to Kerbin, this 1st part however, was marked as unsuccessful, since no orbit was achieved. I believe this has something to do with the fact, that the 1st part is marked successful as soon as an orbit is achieved, the mission requires however that at least one full orbit has been made. Can this be made clearer in the description? Otherwise, thanks for making this pack, very nice!! :)

Yup... I've seen this enough times now that I agree. Raised [#5] on GitHub to address.

Hello,

I cant figure - Squad has this already dont they?

Zeta

Zeta, why don't you ever read the OP of the thread thoroughly?

It clearly states this:

Unlike the stock tourism contracts, all tourists for a given contract want to go to the same place. You'll also start receiving tourist contracts for 20-50 Kerbals to visit your attractions at a time.

@nightingale The tourist loader is so cool â¤, the first time I loaded a tourist I was like "where the heck is he? another bug?" and then I heard a sound of someone crawling on the ladder and then opening the hatch and voila! So lovely :3

Edited by Enceos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.