[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

3 minutes ago, Micro753 said:

You can't right now unless you make your own cfgs, or you could wait to see if @Nansuchao is still planning to make cfgs for it.

Now that NH is updated, I will re-start to work on it for Scatterer, Eve and so on configurations. But don't expect anything out soon, the old configs will not work with the new versions of the requested mods.

On 6/9/2017 at 4:02 AM, DaniDE said:

Hi folks. I decided to use New Horizons the first time for my new playthrough - What is the recommended CommNet setup in the difficulty settings for this?

I don't see that you particularly need any specific CommNet setup-- just use whatever you would normally use for any play-through.

The main issue you may run into is that the NH solar system is a fair bit larger than the old one (particularly in going to the outermost planets), so the 100G top-end stock antennas will have a hard time reaching.

You can deal with that by stacking lots and lots of antennas... or building a "bucket brigade" chain of relays.  Or, you may find this mod useful-- a single big 1000G antenna, specifically for the purposes of supporting large solar systems.  :wink:

I see one of my favourite and one of the most talented planet makers is back...

*Handshakes KillAshley* Welcome Back o7 <(Salute; Courtesy from Elite Dangerous).

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, FeliusKerNes said:

I like most of this except the changes of Kerbin and its moons, finding it annoying to have it as a moonless moon of Sonnah. How would I go about editing that aspect of the mod while keeping the rest of the changes?

i can do that if you like, as long as you answer one question for me; name me a moon with a moon. That's all you have to do. You see sub satellites would be incredibly unstable in a system, and i already compromise as much as I'm willing to bridge realism and gameplay, so unless theres a way to viably explain why such a close moon would have a moon of it's own then it could not exist.

You can edit the configs yourself to move it, however I won't be assisting you with that and i would appreciate it if nobody else posts how in my thread.

I didn't make this pack with the only mindset of "more planets" it's planned out carefully and has more going than that.

(btw I'm not angry at you for asking, i just like to rant :P)

7 hours ago, KillAshley said:

i can do that if you like, as long as you answer one question for me; name me a moon with a moon. That's all you have to do. You see sub satellites would be incredibly unstable in a system, and i already compromise as much as I'm willing to bridge realism and gameplay, so unless theres a way to viably explain why such a close moon would have a moon of it's own then it could not exist.

You can edit the configs yourself to move it, however I won't be assisting you with that and i would appreciate it if nobody else posts how in my thread.

I didn't make this pack with the only mindset of "more planets" it's planned out carefully and has more going than that.

(btw I'm not angry at you for asking, i just like to rant :P)

Well, I was not planning to keep Kerbin as a moon, but to have it back as its own planet and put the Mun and Minmus back orbiting it

That said, according to this article: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/44-our-solar-system/the-moon/general-questions/104-can-moons-have-moons-intermediate

It should be theoretically possible within a certain radius so long the satellite the moon orbits doesn't synchronously rotate, which unless I saw it incorrectly wasn't the case for Kerbin and Soonah, although admittedly I have no idea what would be it's Hill Sphere and if it wouldn't be so close it'd create problems with the atmosphere.

9 hours ago, BDhogz007 said:

Hey KillAshley. I really want this pack to work for me, but all the planets are just white? Or at least the stock planets? Does anyone have a fix? I'm desperate!

(missed your post) can you be more specific, like what operating system are you using? are you sure it is installed correctly? is only the stock planets white, and if so do you have any other mods that change the stock planets?

55 minutes ago, FeliusKerNes said:

Well, I was not planning to keep Kerbin as a moon, but to have it back as its own planet and put the Mun and Minmus back orbiting it

That said, according to this article: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/44-our-solar-system/the-moon/general-questions/104-can-moons-have-moons-intermediate

It should be theoretically possible within a certain radius so long the satellite the moon orbits doesn't synchronously rotate, which unless I saw it incorrectly wasn't the case for Kerbin and Soonah, although admittedly I have no idea what would be it's Hill Sphere and if it wouldn't be so close it'd create problems with the atmosphere.

it is theoretically possible, yes. however even in that article you can see that sub-satellites have a very limited lifespan, eventually being pulled into it's parent or pulled apart. but that's not your intention anyway so it's now a unrelated topic!

you can change Kerbin and it's moons back to their original positions by deleting their cfg's, however you should note that the system will be unbalanced in gameplay sense, as the orbits will intersect other worlds, Kerbin won't be on on the same orbital plane as the rest of the system, and science gains will be drastically unbalanced. It would probably be easier to just use a different pack if you're after just a "more planets" kind of thing (such as OPM or something), unless you really want these specific worlds, as this pack is designed to be a different system to create a new way to play.

@KillAshley If you need some ideas on things to work on, I have played New Horizons long enough that there are a few things that I've noticed and thought of.

1) I've noticed a few of the Science Definitions are out of date especially for the mod DMagic. This is probably the only somewhat negative I have currently of New Horizons but it is minor.

2) I have a suggestion in mind. New Horizons is supposed to be a new solar system layout and meant as either something new or a challenge and adds 19 new bodies while also keeping the old ones. I wonder if you could add compatibility to your Uncharted Lands mod so all planets are something new and different to visit.

3) I'm not saying this as a bad thing but I feel like Atell and Eli are fairly Similar to each other except with their colours. Just an observation is all.

Thanks for listening. I am not being mean or dissing your ability to make beautiful planets and modpacks, i just wanted to share some ideas and critical criticism. 

5 hours ago, SAS123 said:

@KillAshley If you need some ideas on things to work on, I have played New Horizons long enough that there are a few things that I've noticed and thought of.

1) I've noticed a few of the Science Definitions are out of date especially for the mod DMagic. This is probably the only somewhat negative I have currently of New Horizons but it is minor.

2) I have a suggestion in mind. New Horizons is supposed to be a new solar system layout and meant as either something new or a challenge and adds 19 new bodies while also keeping the old ones. I wonder if you could add compatibility to your Uncharted Lands mod so all planets are something new and different to visit.

3) I'm not saying this as a bad thing but I feel like Atell and Eli are fairly Similar to each other except with their colours. Just an observation is all.

Thanks for listening. I am not being mean or dissing your ability to make beautiful planets and modpacks, i just wanted to share some ideas and critical criticism. 

1> yeah they were written a long time ago, should probably revamp them and double check the vanilla defs too. I hate doing that which is why i havent done it before now.

2> They kinda work together, but UL overwrites NH's orbits i think i put off fixing that because of galactic neighborhood, not wanting to screw it up. I'll fix that today (as long as i don't procrastinate too hard)

3> yeah they underwent a lot of revamps and ended up pretty similar as far as "generic moon" goes, i actually was going to get rid of eli when i removed lave during the v2 overhaul, but used it as another early game moon instead due to people constantly asking for one.

i dont see your message as mean dude, dont worry. I prefer when people write comments like yours as i can find new ways to improve my packs. I'll see what i can do to fix them.

39 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

They kinda work together, but UL overwrites NH's orbits i think i put off fixing that because of galactic neighborhood, not wanting to screw it up. I'll fix that today (as long as i don't procrastinate too hard)

as long as the patches have :NEEDS[!GalacticNeighborhood] you can do whatever you want and it will not have any effect on GN :D

2 hours ago, SAS123 said:

Another Bug although I am not sure if it is NH or Kopernicus.

Didn't realise I was Launching From Soonah.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=964917219

Why is Soonah So Far Away...?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=964917183

haha yeah I've noticed that myself, seems to be limited to the KSC view though, and seeing as old bug like the terrain going haywire when launching a ship have gone ill happily take this mild graphical bug in trade :D

2 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

As there are many contract packs that only work when the home world is the 3rd planet from the sun, I guess many of them won't work with this planet pack.

Do you know which contract packs will work?

someone might know, unfortunately i don't as i don't play with contracts

Do you plan on adding any more bodies or just continue improving the ones you already have? I mean I wouldn't mind another gas giant that is very far out and on a somewhat eccentric orbit (Like Planet 9).

1 hour ago, SAS123 said:

Do you plan on adding any more bodies or just continue improving the ones you already have? I mean I wouldn't mind another gas giant that is very far out and on a somewhat eccentric orbit (Like Planet 9).

the only body that need changing is Derso, which is currently a placeholder that i haven't created yet. I Don't actually have any plans to add in more, however i made the pack in a way that OPM can fill the slot if people want any more and further out planets. They appear far outside the system, although i haven't looked at the patch in a while to check it still works after the 2.0 release oh NH.

Do you require any assistance with anything in this planetpack (Science Defs, Testing, etc.)? I'm currently on my second week of the holidays so i can help out if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you could make Kerbin orbit close enough to Sonnah to make it tidally locked?

Also, I seem to be experiencing a bug where my crew won't level up, and I suspect it may have something to do with this mod. Can you check on that?

I seem to be having an issue setting Sonnah as a target for orbital maneuvers. Even getting to the point where I can actually click on Sonnah in order to try to set it as a target is difficult and annoying. You have to zoom out to the highest level and set another body as a target so that Sonnah finally has a dot you can interact with, but when clicking on it and trying to set it as a target it just says "No Target". I can set other bodies as targets just fine, The mun, any other stock planets... etc.

Just wondering if I am doing something wrong and idk where else to ask this. I'm still pretty new to the game as well so that may be an problem. The whole issue is I have a satellite project I need to fulfill and I would rather not just waste deltaV getting into a random orbit of Sonnah first.

I am currently orbiting Kerbin and trying to get to the purple orbit outlined in this picture that also illustrates the target problem I am having. Thanks for anyone that spends the time to take a look.

2e7d7cb709.jpg

Edit: It's possible that I can't set Sonnah as a target since Kerbin is orbiting it? idk either way planning a maneuver resulting in an escape from Kerbin let me see enough info to get the mission done so sorry for wasting anyones time.

Edited by OatBran