[1.02] Spin-o-Tron Motors (FINALLY UPDATED)

Legion_Alpha

Ok, first, I am fully aware of InfernalRobotics, I just wanna post THIS one which uses a vanilla module.

Special thanks to Yargnit for telling me and all other 100-something livestream viewers of his.

Motors: The 2nd-to-last frontier

Ok so, while watching Yargnit's KSP livestream, he was experimenting with a module. He told us! Yay!

Apparently it was implemented in 0.24 but was never used (hence the word "Test" in the module). It's a fully-developed motor-like module. It works fine, with tweakables too. No problems of any kind with the system, just that it was never coded into a part. So I coded it into a part, and now EVERYONE can use it! By the way, the module is ModuleJointMotorTest.

So basically it rotates the nodes connected to it. It has 3 modes: Park, where it stays still, Neutral, where it's neutral, and Drive, where it rotates. The speed and force can be changed w/ tweakables, and there's also a reverse. You can also set it to a throttle > speed setting to, it's useful for planes and helicopters. When making helicopters, it is recommended to put a Neutral motor below the rotation systems, so it doesn't spin you. Uh, blah blah blah no SAS blah blah thank you for downloading blah.

P.S. Struts and KAS wires/pipes will in fact obstruct movement. Loss of life due to excessive spinning is not covered by warranty. Warranty will be voided if used to fling A-C-Class asteroids at things.

The thing about this is that, unlike InfernalRobotics, it doesn't use any added plugins, so RAM usage is minimized. MJMT is a fully stock module, so it shouldn't take up much memory.

Action groups don't work, by the way. Sorry.

CurseForge page: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/223357-spin-o-tron-motors

Download from KerbalStuff: [removed link to defunct website]

Known Issues

- Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

It seems to make the motors refuse to spin. Complain to ferram4 if you want this fixed.

Credits -

Squad - KSP, motor module (coding for it), docking ports of which the motors are based on

Yargnit - Motor module (or at least revealing it)

Me - coding it, period

I completely do not own any part of this mod, other than nothing really. In fact, I don't even own the thumbnail of this mod (it's one of Squad's flags). I simply coded it to fit the requirements of a motor. Textures, model, KSP, and the motor module belong to Squad.

The contents of this mod are distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, found here:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

EDIT 5/21/15: Wow, I completely forgot I had this forum post. Added KerbalStuff and copyright.

P.S. Thank you Niemand for pictures.

Interesting. I never knew this module existed. Is this only for parts that continuously spin or can it also do hinges and pistons?

Edit: Is there a reason why the Curse download says the last release was August 2014, rather than today?

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

For the post about lacking action groups... we have the power to change that... with a plugin... which kinda defeats the purpose of this being a stock module... which is sad. Very sad.

Also note, the warranty on this aprt is only voided if you use it to fling class A through C asteroids. Warranty stays absolutely intact if you fling a Class E or above (I could have sworn I found a class F asteroid once).

Edited by Gaalidas

I'm sure I've heard about a stock rotatron module before - but that it was bugged, hence never implemented.

Pretty cool if you've got it fixed.

I'm curious to know what the issues were. It would be nice if the stock module worked, I could easily build a wrapper for it to support action groups. What happens if parts are spinning during timewarp, and then the ship is brought out of timewarp?

I'm curious to know what the issues were. It would be nice if the stock module worked, I could easily build a wrapper for it to support action groups. What happens if parts are spinning during timewarp, and then the ship is brought out of timewarp?

As far as I have tested it, it just stops the rotation. no wierdness found.

The most testing I've seen of it was in the BTSM thread with this showing the worst effect (seems like it doesn't save very well)

Building a wrapper kind of defeats the purpose of this discovery IMO. You might as well stick with Infernal Robotics.

Why hasn´t it became stock...

Because as Crzyrndm and FlowerChild have pointed out, ModuleJointMotorTest is actually still quite buggy (image courtesy FlowerChild):

glK7SE9.png

The joint becomes separated, but is still hanging in mid-air.

Speaking about bugs--has anyone tried this with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? Seems KJR stiffens joints so much that it seriously inhibits rotation. Without KJR, things spin.

KJR would need an exception added to it to ignore the joints between the spinning sections.

Interesting. I strapped a rotating module to my station, played with it a bit, put it to park mode (also speed and force to zero), and the next time I've loaded the savegame, the station was zipping above 2nd cosmic speed away from Kerbin. Weird.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.