Official 1.0 MEGA Hype Thread!

kenbobo

I imagine there would be more real discussion in this thread if there weren't 2 other threads.

-updated--

So I asked myself where one might be in regard to the Hypetrain and thought of the following possible conditions:

you could be...

1) in the cabin hanging with the hype train crew

2) the conductor

3) an excited passenger

4) a sleeping passenger

5) a passenger who can't wait to just get off at the next station

6) Running along side the train trying to jump on

7) Running behind trying to catch up

8) Running ahead trying not to get run over

9) Asleep on the tracks a few hundred meters ahead of the speeding Hypetrain.

10) in a taxi going somewhere else

;-)

where might you be? Maybe this should be a poll. ha! I don't know how to do it... its late...

Here is a poll inspired by those questions.

Edited by Robotengineer

assuming we reach 15 pages by 5pm(Incredibly likely), and then assume a steady 15 pages/day post rate for this thread(also incredibly likely), and also assume a 3 week experimentals process, this will be a ~315 page thread by the time 1.0 drops. I am also guessing there will be higher values for pages per day as the day nears, leading to an even more inflated number of useless posts. These threads are nothing but people saying they are excited, while knowing everyone else is excited, but still telling everyone else anyway.

A big useless echo chamber.

.90 thread was 111 pages

.25 thread was 187 pages

.24 thread was 298 pages

.23.5 thread was 105 pages

This is the forum equivalent to holding the world record for eating the most sticks of butter. Please don't set a new personal best.

E: maybe move thread to forum games?

Did you know that I'm excited for 1.0? I hope you're excited too. Wouldn't it be exciting to be excited together?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to be on this HypeTrain, I'm afraid.

I have two reasons for this. One is that the only thing happening within these HypeTrains is people expressing their excitement, mostly with either very large images or with spam-like posts. Most of the reason the KSP forums are so great is precisely because so few people normally leave spam-like posts, gratuitous large images, or other wastes of bandwidth. Thus, the HypeTrain is both worrisome and a bit unwholesome for the Forum as a whole. (Not even to mention the many, many times that the Forums have crashed as a result of this behavior.)

The second reason is that I'm not very happy about this next release being called '1.0.' I personally am of the opinion that another beta version would have been extremely nice, and that 1.0 will be unpleasantly buggy. This will not only be negative for long-time KSP players, but it will also be downright painful for new players who are unaccustomed to the bugs and who want a better game. I kinda wanted this update to be a sort of 0.99 update that allowed the community to iron out bugs, but alas, it was not to be. So that takes a lot of the excitement (and adds a lot of worry) to the coming update. I really can't get hyped about 1.0.

So this HypeTrain isn't for me. Sorry, guys.

(Because this post will probably be buried after a couple of minutes, and because spam is already rampant in these parts, requoting this when you get the chance would be much appreciated. I'm not going to post on this thread anymore. I've had my say.)

-Upsilon

Those are some excellent, well thought out arguments.

Representing the opposition I would like to say

HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!

I am more hyped for this update than any in a long time. There is a positively fantastic new feature list, and there is talk of fixing many or most of the long-standing bugs. Frankly I don't understand any halfways-serious KSP player not being excited for this one.

How about we move this to forum games? Then every one can be happy

No if it's here, people see it and post in it. If it's in forum games, people don't see it and post new threads.

This thread is not the problem. It's the solution. Trust me :)

No if it's here, people see it and post in it. If it's in forum games, people don't see it and post new threads.

This thread is not the problem. It's the solution. Trust me :)

So very true. The Hype is coming one way or the other, having a thread dedicated to it keeps it from spreading everywhere else where it annoys those who don't like it.

well seeing as how in less than 24 hours we have reached 19 pages, I am revising my prediction to 400 pages by the time 1.0 arrives, at this current rate.

horrifying.

also:

I'm not going to be on this HypeTrain, I'm afraid.

I have two reasons for this. One is that the only thing happening within these HypeTrains is people expressing their excitement, mostly with either very large images or with spam-like posts. Most of the reason the KSP forums are so great is precisely because so few people normally leave spam-like posts, gratuitous large images, or other wastes of bandwidth. Thus, the HypeTrain is both worrisome and a bit unwholesome for the Forum as a whole. (Not even to mention the many, many times that the Forums have crashed as a result of this behavior.)

The second reason is that I'm not very happy about this next release being called '1.0.' I personally am of the opinion that another beta version would have been extremely nice, and that 1.0 will be unpleasantly buggy. This will not only be negative for long-time KSP players, but it will also be downright painful for new players who are unaccustomed to the bugs and who want a better game. I kinda wanted this update to be a sort of 0.99 update that allowed the community to iron out bugs, but alas, it was not to be. So that takes a lot of the excitement (and adds a lot of worry) to the coming update. I really can't get hyped about 1.0.

So this HypeTrain isn't for me. Sorry, guys.

(Because this post will probably be buried after a couple of minutes, and because spam is already rampant in these parts, requoting this when you get the chance would be much appreciated. I'm not going to post on this thread anymore. I've had my say.)

-Upsilon

HEY! 3 LIGHTGREEN REP BARS NOW

Edited by r4pt0r

I tend to avoid the HypeTrains. They're usually a bit crowded for me, but on this occasion I think I'll join due to the huge size of the update.

And I've got to say I'm loving the new HypeTrain interior:

pWKb9E7.jpg

EDIT: I can't believe nobody thought of saying that...

EDIT EDIT: Although I might not stay long for reasons described above. Yes I know this is a huge image, but I felt it was appropriate.

Edited by TheMoonRover

well seeing as how in less than 24 hours we have reached 19 pages, I am revising my prediction to 400 pages by the time 1.0 arrives, at this current rate.

horrifying.

also:

I hear Alan Rickman's voice when I read your post.

I am more hyped for this update than any in a long time. There is a positively fantastic new feature list, and there is talk of fixing many or most of the long-standing bugs. Frankly I don't understand any halfways-serious KSP player not being excited for this one.

Well, the promised feature list excites me, although I'm worried about a) bugs and B) things that have been cut. My HypeTrain is running low on HypeCoal due to these worries... otherwise, I'd be building a 1.0 HypeTrain in 0.26 right now~

(by the way, I'm reserving this spot for an "I told you so" when it turns out that "1.0" is more like "0.27" ;) )

Please remember to vote in the hype poll. Link in my sig.

--updated--

Whoa, a new post appeared while I was writing this message, picking up speed!

--updated-again--

Who is this Alan Rickman?

Edited by Robotengineer

Well, the promised feature list excites me, although I'm worried about a) bugs and B) things that have been cut. My HypeTrain is running low on HypeCoal due to these worries... otherwise, I'd be building a 1.0 HypeTrain in 0.26 right now~

(by the way, I'm reserving this spot for an "I told you so" when it turns out that "1.0" is more like "0.27" ;) )

I'm sure there will be bugs (as there are in all software), but the fact that more of the focus this go round is on fixing existing ones is heartening. The version number is entirely arbitrary, for me it's just another update. It's strange to me that people even care; "This would be a great 0.27 but is a bad 1.0" doesn't make a ton of sense, at least to me.

If I were ever to develop an early access game I would do away with version numbers altogether since they seem to have so much emotional baggage associated with them. Or maybe use Donald Knuth's version number system. :)

http://i.imgur.com/pWKb9E7.jpg

Wait, did interior seats always have harnesses or is that new to 1.0?

Given the current Hypetrain velocity I'm confident of getting an answer here before I can get KSP fired up.

On the "ZOMG I LUVZ HYPETRAIN!" vs "hypetrain is stupid" arguement

The hypetrain is a good pressure valve for keeping the high quality of the KSP boards and good behavior of the KSP community. All of us are to some degree a rebel and don't just want but need to act out. Most of the time we restrain ourselves for the better of society, then we "act bad" at specific socially acceptable times. The most notable of these is Mardis Gras, a Holy Day devoted to sinning as much as possible before a ritual purification. The hypetrain adds to the health of the KSP community in exactly the same way that Mardis Gras helps "good catholics" remain "good catholics."

I'm sure there will be bugs (as there are in all software), but the fact that more of the focus this go round is on fixing existing ones is heartening. The version number is entirely arbitrary, for me it's just another update. It's strange to me that people even care; "This would be a great 0.27 but is a bad 1.0" doesn't make a ton of sense, at least to me.

Well, for me, personally, it doesn't directly matter. It may harm KSP's long term funding though, which would indirectly disappoint me as KSP deserves the support. The simu-game aspect makes it both valuable as a learning tool AND very approachable vs. a lot of classic simulators.

Anyhow, the water of mishandled-end-of-early-access-anxiety is dousing my aero-isp-balance-HypeCoal. Can't raise a good head of steam for my HypeTrain this time 'round, in spite of my anticipation.

If I were ever to develop an early access game I would do away with version numbers altogether since they seem to have so much emotional baggage associated with them. Or maybe use Donald Knuth's version number system. :)

Eh, just make it an incrementing integer. "This is version 503. The previous one was 502, and the next is 504.." etc. No need for pi or such. Don't even bother with special sub-versions or such for emergency fixes - that would be 505 etc heh. That would take most of the emotional baggage to the curb right there ;)

The core use for a version number is just to let users know if they're up to date or not afterall. "No, we fixed the issue where the HypeTrain runs upside-down on the tracks in release 503. You're using 502 still - time to upgrade!"

After Windows 3.x, Microsoft started to go with various year and name schemes. You didn't need to concern yourself with being out-of-date until they put out a new name. But now they're back to version numbers... I guess that says there is no one right way to do it, that will please everyone.

I tend to avoid the HypeTrains. They're usually a bit crowded for me, but on this occasion I think I'll join due to the huge size of the update.

http://i.imgur.com/pWKb9E7.jpg

EDIT: I can't believe nobody thought of saying that...

EDIT EDIT: Although I might not stay long for reasons described above. Yes I know this is a huge image, but I felt it was appropriate.

Incidentally,l I had decided a while back that the Mk3 fuselage is shaped like train carriages. This is entirely true :D

Two points:

1) I completely agree with those who don't feel the hype this time around. Mine is tempered, for sure. I will never understand though the need to post on this thread that you don't want to post on this thread. There are THOUSANDS of threads in this forum (Some of them very popular) that I will never post on. Guess what I do? I DON'T POST ON THEM. It's shockingly effective in reaching my goal of not posting on them.

2) HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

Couldn't agree more. I thought the graffiti comparison was quite interesting as if people are FORCED to view this thread. Honestly, it really hasn't been bad at all (outside of the initial couple pages) and occasional post. I really don't see the issue with an occasional thread that demonstrates the pure joy and excitement people have toward something that has been long in the making. It's part of the human experience. People get excited about things!

I agree, in addition to your other post, about 1.0. The whole "they should have done one more beta release" is quite old. It's clearly not happening, so why dwell on it? Also, if I'm not mistaken, there was a post on Reddit noting that KSP has hit the 1 million sales mark. I find it hard to believe having a release that is a little buggy would somehow ruin KSP's long-term success. It has already been EXTREMELY successful for what is supposedly a "niche" game.

That and the game software model has drastically changed. Plenty of games that were far buggier than KSP even prior to the 1.0 bug squashing-fest, have been released an been ultra-successful.

BRING ON THE HYPE! I can't wait to test out the aerodynamics of the game! That and see how much the re-entry mechanics impact gameplay. Can't wait!