Elcano Challenge - Attempted circumnavigation - Overland's Thread (Multi Class Landliner Trains)

Overland

yeah im back on the road to recovery :) its been a long road but slowly getting there..

no parachutes.. trains have dynamic brakes. or.. sometimes dont when generators explode.. ironicly the first generation of landliner trains years ago. the trailercar had a parachute for that idea.. sadly all it did was open up and then leave a hole in the nose of the locomotive :)

shouldnt be too long before I restart.. trying to find out whats causing this bug with the terrain and wheels disapearing.. might have to switch to tank-tracks again

yeah im back on the road to recovery :) its been a long road but slowly getting there..

no parachutes.. trains have dynamic brakes. or.. sometimes dont when generators explode.. ironicly the first generation of landliner trains years ago. the trailercar had a parachute for that idea.. sadly all it did was open up and then leave a hole in the nose of the locomotive :)

shouldnt be too long before I restart.. trying to find out whats causing this bug with the terrain and wheels disapearing.. might have to switch to tank-tracks again

The reason I mentioned it is that I believe drogue chutes are persistent now.

Also, thanks to you, I am now overland training! Holy crap this is fun! :D I definitely picked up a few design pointers from you. (I also ignored several ;-) ) I did about 50km last night with all stock parts.

Sorry, I can't help with the bugs (I saw your Elcano post). I decided not to upgrade from ver 0.25, because I find the new versions less fun. What does your F3 log say is happening when the wheels fall off?

Something I haven't seen you doing is using bumpers like I am on this old rover: http://i.imgur.com/txyXR28.png (The structural plates are the bumpers). I've had some spectacular crash/tail-whip recoveries due to this design concept. I laid a 5-car train on its side last night at about 30m/s, waited for it to come to a stop, and then righted it using the jets/generators. It only took minor damage and I was able to continue on my way.

using your idea I actually did install chutes.. but not for braking.. probably one of my .. ideas you'll want to avoid :D

ive always been a little repulsed by the size of the radial chutes.. id love to have some on the train so if I meet a cliff in an emergency I can deploy and save the engine.. but its always looked so out of place because its rather large of a bump on an otherwise smooth and railway-ish locomotive

so.. with 4003 I put a few on the hood.. it wont stop her from exploding if going nose first into the ground from a mountain side cliff.. but might preserve the locomotive if the trains uncoupled in time.. its a working idea.. ive not tested it but. possibly :)

Just to let everyone know really.. everythings still being "developed"..

Also, thanks to you, I am now overland training! Holy crap this is fun! k_cheesy.gif I definitely picked up a few design pointers from you. (I also ignored several ;-) ) I did about 50km last night with all stock parts.

...which ones ignored? :)

You do it stock.. your brave.. the early trains I ran had stock wheels.. I repaired the damn things on the trailer car every 1km :D

anyway :)

the 40 class locomotive that seems to have replaced the 44 class has gone over many revisions.. if I changed the class numbers everytime something exploded or revised in testing then it'd be 4025 rather than 4003 :)

things are moving forward at a good pace now.. the change to mono-propellant based transmission medium means that the loco has a few place-anywhere RCS ports on the underside and Ov class engines on the hood.. they only work when the trains under full power and generating enough surplus monoprop for the wheels and RCS accessories..

but the idea is quite simple.. and actually works..

with SAS on and RCS activated while in full song driving at 30+ any sudden changes in the terrain especially drops get cushioned by the underside mounted RCS ports.. it wont make the train fly and doesnt do THAT much.. but its enough to reduce sudden shocks from terrain drops.. equally so.. "Sanders" work the other way.. when generating enough monoprop to let them work.. once enabled they push the locomotive into the terrain slightly..

this gives traction on steep surfaces and lets the torque do its work without slipping.. akin to sand on railway lines

both systems can only be used under power thus its not a cheat nor is it an easy way out..

Sadly theres still a few bugs to work out so no updates so far today other than this screenshot..

q6BnrKV.jpg

Using KOS I ran 2 trains.. one I found in the middle of nowhere I forgot about..

once programmed with KOS to follow the beacon it was rather nice having 2 trains..

but my KOS programming isnt ideal just as yet and sadly one train suffered a twin generator explosion..

the heat properties on these generators still arnt perfect..

Edited by Overland

8th of August - Restart.

.4003's spent the better part of 2 weeks being chopped up, redesigned, re-engined.. then put against mountains, cliffs.. even jumping the KSC launch pad for fun harmlessly on more than one occasion.. sadly all in mostly private while this thread stagnated slightly..

Rest assured.. nothings been forgotten its just all been happening behind the scenes

its with mixed emotions of pride, joy and sadness that I officially launch 4003 for a final testrun before going back for the final refit for the winch and a few little tweaks.. such is the tradition that started with 4008

This time around we have some changes.. Gone are the 4 and 3 segmented fuel tanks.. the LT800s have been reintroduced in a modified form that carry only jet fuel for the engines.. their repaint resembles more of a dusty dirty overused freight wagon.. without the white sterility..

On the locomotive side of things.. the transmission remains mostly the same except the transmission resource has been changed from Electric Charge to Mono-propellant

the reason for this is so electrics for the lights, KOS autopilot (for the reverser only) and other accessories once suffering to maintain power taken by the wheels now run on a seperate circuit.. isolated from the traction power of the locomotive..

As such, we have full lights.. always and constantly.. no dimming at bad times.. winches also work without assistance - Power is provided by twin isotope generators.. a quick and easy fix given that the only requirements come from the lights and KOS.. we dont need any dedicated generation

The Engine sounds been changed from EMD Class 66 as per 4408s engine sound.. to the originally used early landliner series Detroit bus engine with some modification.. its got its own unique character im quite fond of :)

The change to mono-propellant also comes with its benefits.. with the assistance of SAS and RCS. .the locomotives been fitted with dampening underside RCS ports which fight to keep the nose level when falling down a sudden change in terrain. preventing heavy nose first impacts that would otherwise damage the locomotive

Similarly, Traction is increased by bogey mounted RCS ports that add a small amount of downward thrust when required.. preventing wheel slipping on heavy grades..

Finally Hood mounted horizontal thrusters aid in keeping a true course.. correcting any unwanted drift when required under SAS

Its not perfect.. all of this requires both generators to be in full song.. risking overheating and needing to be monitored.. it does give 4003 a fighting chance in the unwelcome green expanse beyond KSC.. with the combination of a good driver :)

So without further delay...

I give you a slightly choppy video.. (KSP is fine. its just the software used to record)

4003 Road shunter .. already shes got quite a history.. but today she becomes more than a road shunter and general all round workhorse

she joins the ranks of 44 class and 40 class before her.. in becoming the lead locomotive of a train destined to attempt the elcano challenge

(Im buying a dedicated video recording thingie next month :) )

hWWG1kW.jpg

Edited by Overland

FINAL TESTING BEFORE DEPARTURE & COMMISSIONING OF B1005 BOOSTER UNIT

some good progress today just before depature, 4003s proven herself to be a very capable unit so far in testing upto 80km outside of KSC to former Bombo Station outpost along the coastline.. engine overheating has been reduced to realistic and manageable levels.. no full throttle forever or blindly time accelerated autopilot.. Everything about trains has been and will always be realtime

4003 despite all her achievements and capabilities as a general workhorse locomotive and yard shunter.. doesnt have the footing that 44 class had with 12 wheels even with RCS assisted traction sanders.. shes still just a road shunter rather than a mainline locomotive with simple 4 wheel bogeys rather than 6 or hybrid of 4 and 6.. Fine around the yard and mostly friendly grades surrounding KSC.. but we need to prepare for the worst kerbins capable of if the elcano challenge has any chance of success

borrowing from past history pre-elcano with 4404 Kerbin Explorer & B1001 Booster Unit..

It was decided a Booster unit be built, of unique design.. half a locomotive herself.. yet light enough not to degrade the trains performance when towed as a wagon in common use

Thus, B1005 was born.. a 6 wheel hybrid booster to bring the train upto 44 class specifications and more when required.. while quietly being towed along as a crewed trailer every other time

ofiU7r9.jpg

nCUR3JJ.jpg

So far performance looks great, her wheels are modified to provide more torque at lower speeds than 4003's wheels while providing her own generation power.. any surplus assisting both locomotives..

As a protective measure shes been fitted with OV class RCS rockets that can give a final burst of power when required.. although shes mostly designed this way to be able to be shunted.. turned around backwards.. and have the jets point forward in case of an impossibly steep hill where dynamic brakes and conventional braking prove not enough..

In the near future she'll assist also in water crossings with the same ideal.. but its likely that'll be done by a dedicated marine capable booster that couples to the front of 4003 :)

Yes thats how im planning to tackle water crossings without a boat.. a marine booster coupled to the front.. in my mind its NOT a boat. thus legal :)

So all up.. good progress.. will update soon with crew names and fix up the first page

ADDITIONAL UPDATE: OPERATIONS & MODIFICATIONS

Im confident most bugs are squashed.. everythings working as expected.. B1005 recieved a further tweak reducing her from 6 to 4 wheels to ensure theres no wasted wheels up in the air on rougher terrain.. shes also been given additional RCS jets and wheelbase mounted traction assist RCS ports similar to 4003..

With EVERYTHING maxed out and online.. the train reaches over 40m/s but this kind of power untamed is dangerous and somewhat silly outside of test runs.. typical cruise speed is around 35m/s with traction assist optional on all but the steepest grades where 2 locomotives are required

Water propulsion has also been achieved under controlled conditions by diverting mono-propellant generation from wheels to RCS jets and ports.. I stress though it doesnt make B1005 a marine varient of a booster or tug.. that'll be dropped by air when the time arises and theres no further options :)

For now.. heres 2 screenshots.. Retrieving B1005 from the launch pad.. and shunting operations on dusk to complete the train

ovikgLA.jpg

SHUNTING OPERATIONS -

9mAZuNX.jpg

Edited by Overland

4003 UPDATE - Driving session 1 .. 20km

(Crew switched to all male after female animation incidents again)

Its good to be back in the cab again.. not only in the cab.. but driving a train to a destination far beyond the safe confines of KSC yard and the coastal outpost Bombo Station II..

a well engineered train now much like her fallen sisters previous.. now left to her own capability vs quite literally... the world

a 40 class locomotive, a B5 class Booster unit.. and 3 fuel wagons.. dwarfed by the world ahead and behind.. she's nothing more than a tiny dot on the landscape in the grand scheme of things..

Today she was driven just 20km after I finished work.. I didnt expect much.. 4003 is a new engine.. new design.. new ideas. .new look.. and of course new class from the former 44 class that was so en-grained within the elcano challenge from my perspective.. getting used to a new engine I figured would take a while.. as even in KSP.. a simulation of parts and bits of this and that.. every machine has its own personality.. even one could say a soul..

It didnt take long though.. I had a new peice of music playing on my ipod (official and legal) I used it on 4003s launch video but it wasnt used to the full length, that said I wish to share it

a sad piece yes.. but it has an element of hope.. I find it beautiful.. and an especially fitting theme for the elcano challenge.. survival is an after thought as the kilometres tick by.. it all blurs together in quite an amazing experience.. to those who have undertaken the challenge im sure you know what I mean (real time though)

to those yet thinking about it.. I simply say do it... its well worth it

Onto the log!

K7T0W1k.jpg

4003 sets out to the mountain range, a marker from previous adventures.. the indicator to turn to flatter terrain and set course for the next leg.. bombo station along the coastline (still posting, not finished)

After shunting 4003 onto the booster then reassembled the train in my last post, one engine was fired up to traverse the yard..

once clear of the yard and KSC, both engines were started... now reverberating in a song of power.. we set course for the mountain

Its surprising how it feels when something you envision ends up.. just working.. but not only working but actually doing it better than you hoped..

even better when it ends up doing it on its own accord with a life of its own..

Such has become the RCS traction assistance that I installed..

See 4003 unlike the former trains uses RCS monoprop as transmission medium.. the wheels are modified to accept monoprop as "power" instead of electricity.. the engines generate it.. this has the side effect of giving access to unlimited monoprop..

I wasnt going to use it at first.. but figured we'd need traction at times. .and something to cushion the impacts.. I always figured id be the one controling it..

This turned out not to be true.. as once SAS and RCS is enabled.. although built for aircraft and spaceships.. the course holding properties of SAS linked with RCS thrusters happily fired when the train jumped to cushion the impact of landing. .fired upwards when ascending a grade trying to keep the nose level giving added traction.. from the cab it all made for a beautiful symphony.. a dance of RCS jets flickering away with the terrain changes.. keeping in time with the RPM of the engines and giving life to the train like a heartbeat

wMbPN5R.jpg

5mBFi8J.jpg

Everything was going well.. we made really good ground.. around 13km so far from KSC.. the engines had been running at maximum RPM for quite a long time, while the train was sailing at a powerful 34m/s its always best to settle to a nice cruise speed sub 30.. unfortunately the strange heating dynamics of KSP 1.04 means that things dont cool as fast as they did.. I backed the throttle off to 3/4... far outside the danger zone I only had 2mm of overheat on the engine monitors.. but its not something id want to disregard this early on.. more so on flat ground where this much torque just isnt needed

with all options open this early in the journey.. the best approach was to simply power down each engine independently.. running the train on a single engine at reduced power while one cooled.. then switch.. the terrain was flat mostly.. momentum of the wagons kept 4003 going more or less same speed as she slowly bobbed over the terrain..

as the engineer of this train. I must admit what happened next suprised me and made me proud :)

with running on 1 engine theres not enough power to go around... at random wheels go into underpowered states.. dragging the train to one side

gently due to turning slower and creating drag.. it was a constant problem on earlier trains running on diesel electric too..

This time however, 4003 came into her own.. as the SAS read the wheel drag and pulling to one side as unwanted movement..

4003 slowly started drifting left.. Suddenly the right side RCS ports started to fire.. first slightly almost invisible..then a full charge..

the RCS was now keeping the train on course, preventing the underpowered wheels from causing her to turn :)

All this was happening without my input.. enabling the engines to fully cool before swapped again to cool the other.. once everything was in the green.. both engines were restarted together and reduced to 3/4 throttle to prevent overheating..

4003s speed slowly made its way back up to 28-30 from 25

EUKkNGd.jpg

Operations wise, thats how the entire trip went, nothing but a beautiful symphony of detriot diesel engines reverberating, that music posted above and the mechwarrior 2 soundtrack also used (track 16).. it was a wonderful experience.. making me question why I waited so long to get back into the elcano challenge...

perhaps its not for everyone but theres joy to be had with this endeavour :)

Atleast... From my perspective

Why?...

my crew had other ideas on the whole thing.. seemingly wondering "why this thing hasnt taken off yet, and why space looks so green and blue"

6GX7sJS.jpg

It seems my crew would rather be in space happily flying to the mun.. than driving a train towards a mountain..

At 20 something Km.. I stopped to plant a flag.. taking in the view and checking resources..

Fuel was at 5661

KO0zOzH.jpg

Unfortunately we seemed to have stopped on a slight grade so the kerbal couldnt reach the ladder anymore.. many things were tried to no avail.. so it was decided he simply be made to climb the locomotive hood and slide down to the door from the roof.. an old trick from long back with ladders on earlier trains..

it sounded good..in theory..

What actually happened was.. 4003 was seemingly given a hug.. with the crew member seemingly now stuck fast between the radiators and the hood..

sPQ2CnD.jpg

After eventually working free (and nothing exploding) the rest of the journey went well.. we found some flat land to save on and shut down for the night.....

with one exception...

With the engines shutdown, brakes applied and stabled for the night...

the crew seemed annoyingly happy.. :)

eV3sMri.jpg

so! thats it.. 20km today.. not that much but a story to tell and the start of an adventure im sure will take me months (I hope!)

more to come soon tomorrow

Edited by Overland

Excellent solution, and I think making monoprop rather than electricity to run the wheels is perfectly reasonable. Well, or at least it's as reasonable as trying to drive a train around a planet on land... in a space game :)

I'm sure you've considered that maybe expanding monoprop exhaust looks just a little like steam, and I know your engine is not a steamer, but still running the wheels on puffs of white smoke is pretty 'loco' (in all senses of that word)

Godspeed! This one's going to make it, I just know it will!

Good to see you back in action, Overland! I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to speed, I generally don't deliberately do over 15m/s - which, bearing in mind that 1m/s = 3.6kph is 54kph. I'll very occasionally push it up to 18m/s, but more often take the speed down to 8m/s (just under 30kph) when I'm being particularly cautious. Because my framerates are pretty slow, I will also use up to 3x time accelleration, which comes close to bringing it up to 'normal' speed, so I don't feel that that's cheating, really.

I have to say the sounds you've given your train are very atmospheric. My all-electric rover could do with some noise. I wish I'd downloaded the fun pack for KIS now, so that my crew had a guitar and radio on board! :-}

Anyway, good luck, I look forward to reading about your further adventures!

Esme

Thankyou G-man, Esme and everyone :) its nice to be appreciated and that the journey with 4003 isnt quite alone.. bringing along the hopes and best wishes of others

A little update today momentaryly - less about distance but actually preparing for what lies ahead.. having traveled this terrain repeatedly with 44 class in the past..

I realised lastnight while thinking about everything that B5001 with additional RCS jets as well as traction wheels for assistance.. is actually facing the wrong way for this part of the terrain

The train has enough torque and power in general to climb most hills.. (no mountains..learnt that one with 4408 ii)

with the booster and the lead locomotive able to provide enough traction in most situations to climb..

the issue would be of course.. going downhill.. sadly with the use of KOS as the reverser (wheelthrottle set to 1.) the transmission is locked in permanent forward gear most of the time.. this differs from using my joystick throttle as the reverser in the past.. as having no way to quickly change to reverse for dynamic braking..

the booster does though have 8 RCS jets for water propulsion and grade assistance..

the best thing we could do was... turn her around so that those jets could be used in emergency speed limiting..

Shunting Time..

4003 being a road shunter as apposed to say the 44 class, has the advantage of couplings both ends.. the idea being it makes shunting easier..

the reality of it is partly true.. in that it works.. but shunting has a way of going wrong horribly before it goes right.. something about for every action theres a reaction..

in the realworld shunting isnt something nice.. in KSP train operations.. it would seem it follows its realworld example :)

XapnrUu.jpg

the booster was uncoupled from the train and set aside.. running around the long way with various sections of turning, reverse and forward that had me wishing we actually had rails.. but eventually.. things were pointing the right direction

Zv6Ocqb.jpg

FtQYs2o.jpg

What isnt documented in the screenshots is, I forgot to apply the brake once the booster was coupled to the train..

this.. of course.. ment the train suddenly grew a mind of its own and decided to head back to KSC on its own accord..

queue a session of unplanned fly-shunting at 12m/s.. ending up 2km from the starting position.. thankfully with everything intact...

I shut down everything for the day and will continoue tonight.. ugh I hate shunting :) it could have been alot worse

Edited by Overland

Thankyou comrade train driver :)

KRAKEN ALERT!

This time sadly.. the loud horn .. nor the growling detriot engines scared it away.. it had to simply.. be delt with..

Following this mornings shunting operations everything was saved to be resumed tonight.. I assumed from experience all will be well.. the shunting went "well" in that nothing exploded so.. there was no reason to expect anything different when I got back home and happily jumped back behind the steering wheel for another leg of the elcano challenge ala 40 class

I was wrong it seems.. as something with the save had brought on the well known train-kraken where something in the persistance file or camera thinks the locomotive is actually a docking port on the trailing wagon.. a harmless varient if you like driving in external view.. but a none too nice one if you do.. like myself.. appreciate driving in the cab..

the problem is the camera being internally focused on something else.. when it shouldnt be.. thus im able to see 4003s nose float over the cab roof, wheels etc .. in IVA view

im sure its a line in the persistance file that just needs editing like a non functioning docking port that thinks its docked when its not..

BUT!

I want to DRIVE not edit text files.. I want to be once with the 40 class.. be consumed by the detriot diesel engines.. marvel at the landscape going by..

Happily this type of kraken lends itself to amputation.. or. decoupling of the effected part.. going from what ive seen in the past.. the offender had become the booster B5001..

so it was with a heavy heart (for a non cabbed booster?...) I set about.. plans that were always part of the bigger picture..

the reason that in each seat of 4003.. there is 3 C4 explosives to be used..

I sent a kerbal to the booster, C4 explosive in hand.. Uncoupled B1005 from the train (now at the rear in a failed attempt to shoo the kraken away..

and safely distanced the locomotive and tankers far away..

it was actually quite an emotional moment.. the first time ive had to do any safe distancing manuvers with a train..

xguT9jO.jpg

Planting the explosive.. under the illumination of 4003's rear shunting light.. we dont want any mistakes here

OMgsarq.jpg

In fear of 4003 and the rest of the crew.. she was moved a little more far away for safety.. as the doomed booster car and her assassin had a quiet moment

dHAq3p6.jpg

The alarm bell rang.. then it was done... I half expected the kerbal to smile like they had before.. but no.. he didnt.. and seemed to feel as bad as I did about the whole thing

n3zu1sw.jpg

Well!.. that wasnt nice.. but atleast its over and now we can push on over the horizon.. as a last momento of the occasion.. a selfie was taken.. these eyes.. are they eyes of a killer.. slayer of the kraken.. destroyer of booster cars.. let not the smile catch you off guard

2Io7DE7.jpg

This is the part where everyone else in this situation would have counted their blessings.. being thankful of diverting the krakens attention and kept going.. for me however.. something didnt feel right.. unsettled.. wrong.. out of place.. for the longest time I couldnt figure out what it was...

Then it struck me..

I take so much pride in my TRAINS.. thing is... 4 cars is a pretty short train but acceptable.. its traditional dating back to 4404 days.. 3 cars.. well thats not a train at all.. I see them damn things at work.. there called B-triples.. there NOT trains..

a 3 car "train" is a B triple.. a truck.....and I will have no such thing compared to my trains.. sorry Gman.. :)

soooooooooooooooooooooo!.. what do we do? live with it?.. air-lift a few wagons?.. 20km away from KSC..

we do.... (at risk of people questioning my sanity).. we did this

WSEG9GS.jpg

lqmkM75.jpg

​

Yes... next stop KSC.. back to the yard to get another wagon :) ....again

(Chapter 2.. Home in the yard)

Once we arrived at KSC, the absence of any locomotives in the yard was evident..

X104 shunter was on my other save and 4410 was the only other locomotive active in the SPH.. being far from a shunter with no front coupler.. but none the less she was motive power that could be used..

No coldly launching a wagon here.. one had to be shunted.. oddly.. by a mainline locomotive..

4410 takes up shunting as a hobby..

Eoc1LI6.jpg

It was good to hear her EMD diesel engine once again.. along with the deeper sounding horn.. it contrasted greatly against 4003s detriot engines and shrill horn that ive become so acustom too.. 4410 had a certain warmness about her that 4003 seems to lack

CFZ41Iz.jpg

Improvised shunting was in order.. a hybrid of fly-shunting and parking the wagon nearby to be painlessly coupled upto :)

XqGJgD9.jpg

4003 takes up the slack and reverses onto the wagon

18beiwi.jpg

CONTACT!

vBrCwg7.jpg

Once that was all done.. 4003 and her train now "whole" again. ridding herself of any truck comparisons.. a sad farewell was given to the idling 4410 and the journey resumed back towards the mountain view flag.. almost re-playing movement for movement the initial launch video..

mDGTuiY.jpg

Soon, KSC started getting smaller on the horizon and things settling back to normal.. 4003 once again under power and operating beautifully.. running on a well worn trail traveled by many trains before her..

PQnBcU3.jpg

BW6lyPI.jpg

Finally.. within a few Km of the flag.. I shut down for the night to resume tomorrow..

Not much distance covered progressively.. but everything worth it in the end.. no traveling knowing in the back of my mind im taking the easy way out with a shorter train.. and nothing but the green wide open plains ahead to once again experience the elcano challenge and the beauty that kerbin has to offer thanks to squad :)

(now have 7000+ fuel too by the way.. i'll update the stats tomorrow)

Edited by Overland

Wow, what determination to do things your way ;). I'm just curious why you didn't get a new booster engine while you were at KSC? I thought you said it was almost a necessary component?

And no offense at the shots taken at trucks. A truck is most definitely not a train :)

Congrats on your progress! Now stop going back to KSC and DRIVE! ;-)

using your idea I actually did install chutes.. but not for braking.. probably one of my .. ideas you'll want to avoid :D

I keep forgetting to deploy mine. :)

...which ones ignored? :)

You do it stock.. your brave.. the early trains I ran had stock wheels.. I repaired the damn things on the trailer car every 1km :D

BWHAHAHAHAH! I'll make a thread and post pics...someday. No internet at home, no KSP at work.

I'm using the Rugged wheels; they're a bit tougher. My wheels last forever at 30m/s, about 5km at 35m/s, and about 2km at 40+m/s.

Also, I'm using Basic Jets as generators and cheaty thrust. #1 @ 75deg pitch, #2 at 90deg pitch, and #3 at 105deg pitch. I run 2 and 3 going forward, and 1 and 2 to slow down. They're powering a 0-6-6-0 engine. (I need all that to deal with the 30 tons of downforce).

How do you deal with the tailwhip on your fuel cars? The rear one goes crazy. I tried using a caboose with spoilers on it, but that just made it worse. I think I'm going to have to install spoilers on all my fuel cars to keep them glued to the ground.

why didnt I add a booster on launch..good question..

strange answer.. because I wanted it to have its own flag :) it shouldnt have fallen pray to the kraken as she didnt even have a cab.. something about the save went wrong.. actually when I initially loaded the save next day 4003 was glowing red and just about every part was approaching redline.. she finally cooled though (???)

posting from my ipod at work so forgive any mistakes too :)

@fleshjeb.

tail whip is an everpresent danger with trains..I combat it by using a steering wheel from xbox that uses the gearstick as engine throttle and buttons for brakes, horn, engine start 1 and 2

wcRLLUi.jpg?1

it lets me do the careful wide sweeping turns needed but also get a feel for the train and quickly counter any drift.

it happens at above 31ms typicly but its also down to design experience from as far back as 2013..

shutting down the engines thus forward propulsion then hitting the brakes a few times usually straightens the train enough with bunching up too

lastly real trains try to coast around corners with freight.. the same works well for land trains :)

Edited by Overland

You have inspired me to get back to the train part of my Kerbal Space Train Program. I have finished my big boy an am already working in a shunter! Thank you. I guess all that Space and plane stuff will help me in that space part of my program. It is KSP after all. I look forward to future developments of this, so... orginized, Exciting...TRAINS!!!! Im also hopeing for stemies :D

You have inspired me to get back to the train part of my Kerbal Space Train Program. I have finished my big boy an am already working in a shunter! Thank you. I guess all that Space and plane stuff will help me in that space part of my program. It is KSP after all. I look forward to future developments of this, so... orginized, Exciting...TRAINS!!!! Im also hopeing for stemies :D

:) good to hear mate.. KSP needs more dedicated train drivers :D

I do plan on doing a steam engine once I get back into blender.. learning it from years with gmax so its a slow process.. as for rails.. as strange as it might be ive become acustom to land-train freedom and challenges.. although rails would and do work perfectly in KSP as shown in the past by a few people.. the steam engine I plan to model is more akin to a traction engine or road locomotive

All is very possible within unity and KSP and I look forward to it seeing the light of day sooner rather than later

your bigboy.. will she be similar to Galaxy Railways Big One?..

Space capable.. defensive weaponry etc?

yes it exists and its awesome :D

if only I could figure out how to make 4003 fly like that... I wouldnt be driving no land train.. she'd be going to the mun!

uh.. um.. inspirational awsomeness over.. back to elcano :)

Edited by Overland

:) good to hear mate.. KSP needs more dedicated train drivers :D

I do plan on doing a steam engine once I get back into blender.. learning it from years with gmax so its a slow process.. as for rails.. as strange as it might be ive become acustom to land-train freedom and challenges.. although rails would and do work perfectly in KSP as shown in the past by a few people.. the steam engine I plan to model is more akin to a traction engine or road locomotive

All is very possible within unity and KSP and I look forward to it seeing the light of day sooner rather than later

your bigboy.. will she be similar to Galaxy Railways Big One?..

Space capable.. defensive weaponry etc?

yes it exists and its awesome :D

if only I could figure out how to make 4003 fly like that... I wouldnt be driving no land train.. she'd be going to the mun!

uh.. um.. inspirational awsomeness over.. back to elcano :)

:confused:I LOVE galaxy Railways, But what did I mention about tracks? My big boy is only land but I am thinking about ordering a lifter to get it to space. I can hack grav, attactch some reaction wheels here and there and I have Big One! Look at the railyard on in the spacecraft exchange where my bigboy is. I have spent 2 weeks straight watching Galaxy Railways. I even made a playlist of every single episode from the main series. Good luck!

I've only watched the just plain Galaxy Railways. Not the other 2 series. You know where to find fottage of it ?!?!

Edited by Spacetraindriver

ahh very nice :) I shall have a look the problems I think is going to be trying to make the train behave like galaxy railways.. eg.. a train running on rails in 3 dimensions.. someone needs to make a mod with .. delayed.. reaction wheels that follow the lead locomotive..im just starting out in unity myself so such things are beyond me.. but ive started work on a locomotive headlight as a first project.. kerosene.. eventually to run on jet fuel which.. isnt all that different to kerosene itself

the idea is going to be make a tiny flame engine that emits light.. easy enough to do.. the hope is I can make it explode if its turned up too high and induce a little realism.. its only in initial stages yet so. progress step by step.. but! much like Rigs of rods, Spintyres, gmod and just about every sandbox game.. im sure railways will gain traction slowly and develop a following..

squad gave us a wonderful space simulator.. but with it.. physics with the capability of putting the likes of gmod to shame. with an entire solarsystem to play with.. I truly believe kerbal space program to be one of the best sandbox games that'll give people the ability to forfill many dreams like that.. especially once we get updated to unity 5 with better CPU usage and physics calculations.. long trains.. steam engines that use intermitent jets either side and heated by a boiler.. im sure its possible just waiting to be made :)

20km Driven - 4003 - 4004 & BBQ Locomotive Snout

An Eventful Day & The Kraken visit

A Pleasant drive today that sadly ended in tragedy for 4003.. Primaryily because of driver carelessness.. I wanted to get some kilometres in but didnt set up the steering wheel.. drove with the keys.. something that works ok on flat land.. alas.. I know better.. kerbin is not flat outside of KSC and turning towards the coastline although looking tame.. an educated driver that knows the road should know all too well that the gentle looking slopes soon lead to runaways.. made worse by the train being on any kind of lean.. Tilt trains these are not...

The Destruction was a simple matter of the locomotive starting to lean to one side enough so that the train then started to lean too.

eventually with the entire train on 2 wheels curling up like an injured caterpillar, any brake applications doing nothing more than accelerate her demise.. it was a 30m/s total destruction of explosions and dust.. with the reinforced cab also falling prey due to a collision with another part.. possibly a stray docking port still coupled to another..

All that was left was wheels scattered everywhere .. Trusses.. and 2 docking ports that refused to part amid the destruction.. although likely contributing to the destruction more than if they'd simply exploded like the others..

Like all such events in Kerbal Train Program history.. once underway a certain distance outside KSC.. Things become permanent..

so thus ended 4003.. She lived a long life of mostly local runs.. heroic rescued of doomed locomotives via fly-shunting a runaway train and yard shunting.. in her own away she racked up some kilometres in the elcano challenge.... although in all realism.. 4003 ultimately became a step in the evolution of the Kerbaliner Locomotive - 40 Class..

With all that done.. it was off to cooltext logo maker and GIMP to make the class plate for her sistertrain..

Introducing 4004

fvP1Avb.jpg

Still a 40 class in the basic shape.. she borrows ideas from the 44 class and earlier locomotives.. the front fuel tanks replaced with Pre-coolers in the hopes that it'll keep things a little more settled.. Intakes once buried in the hood now are mounted externally due to 4003 sometimes having a little problem with air intake not entirely covered by the rear fan

She carries a NSW State rail inspired L7 logo rather than the elcano challenge logo.. in efforts to keep away bad luck :) (Sorry Fengist)

Wheels also received an upgrade in that they have more torque but less speed.. Now also fitted with a more traditional 4-6 Locomotive wheel arrangement that works well on hills when all the weight of the train is pulling from behind.. KOS is also gone..

Ive reverted back to using steering wheel pedals held down for the deadman and transmission gear as mentioned above.. everythings still controled via the throttle though with no change to how she operates

One of the more important yet traditional changes was in her cab.. the speed gauges were enlarged. something I did with early trains but forgot to do it on the last few

3J1AWyk.jpg

The last change was the wagons themselves.. having their wheels modified and relocated.. angular drag was increased to 5.. they no longer sway randomly over rough terrain but track quite well

All up.. shes a good locomotive just like the other 10+ before her and I hope she lives more than 10km :D

PART 2 - 4004's First Duty

Following Kerbal Train Program traditions.. the first duty of a new train and her crew..is to pay respects to those who died to give them work.. such is life in this dangerous profession.. the lucky ones fly rockets to the moon..

The Unlucky ones drive trains..

Happily though.. the drive to the remains of 4003 was quite nice :)

KLMZKl2.jpg

Eventually though.. the real purpose of her Maiden mainline duties came into view.. highlighted by 4004's improved lighting was the remains of 4003.. a somber moment made more so by my selection of music for such occasions.. played from launch of 4004..

one that seems to blend flawlessly with the detriot engines, horn blasts and approaching the wreck of a former landtrain..

71NmKHq.jpg

up8rN62.jpg

A Flag was planted - As a sign of respect and a marker for the Elcano Challenge..

Some things never change too much.. this felt as real as when 4408, 4404 and others ended up the same way.. Both a nice thing to experience.. but sad in itself.. An experience that ive found hard to top.. one unique to KSP Landtrains

unxkZl0.jpg

A Moment of silence -

a final look back.. in the hope that they dont meet the same fate.. fighting to win the battle against history.. will 4004 end horribly too...we hope not.. but time will tell..

4003s wreck serves as an everpresent reminder of what was lost... and the hope that it may not again repeat ..

cRRoOZP.jpg

With services over - 4004s engines started with a cloud of exhaust

vUSB6Pf.jpgg9PeH0R.jpg

she carried on.. slowly at 10m/s to weave her way through the wreckage.. resuming the journey to KSC2

PART 3 - "Internal Combustion Engine"

Back under power - A long climb over the grade

Back to normal operations, 4004 now performing to specifications.. we climbed up the hill with extended maximum engine throttle.. gaining a steady 20m/s

the engines growled and fought eachothers reverberation in a never-ending and futile quest to become the loudest and most dominant -

Annoying the driver somewhat to the point one was shut down and restarted so they wernt so in-time with eachother instead pulsed nicely in a more mellow beat until reaching the top of the hill where the engines were reduced to near idle for the descent

Kerbol started slipping low in the sky lending to sunset/dusk that kerbins known for.. the time when headlights dont do much.. yet theres a blazing sun in your eyes.. once the sun properly set enough.. I noticed something...

Odd...

The Pre-Cooler based hood seemed to be...pink.. more worrying was the fact that thermal display showed the entire front half of the locomotive where the engines were.. glowing yellow on the display.. a curious thing.. since the only "engines" in the whole locomotive are the little black exhaust pipes.. modified sam hall turbines.. they only emit 300 heat.. but I did notice nothing overheated as fast as it did before with 4003..

I never knew the pre-cooler actually did anything.. im still not sure what it does.. the configuration file doesnt say much.. but whatever it did..

it was doing it... either very good.. or exceedingly bad..

My mind settled on the later

I started to see it from the cab.. the hood of the locomotive slowly starting to glow pink.. until the vents made me question why I put headlights on the hood at all..

cLFBi6E.jpg

it occured to me that I could roast something in there.. or maybe I was just getting hungry.. either way between the hunger of a long drive.. 4004's hood wishing to be kerbol II.. I grew concerned enough to shut down 4004 for the night and call it a day

Once I finally stopped the train.. got out to plant a flag.. things from this perspective seemed quite scary..

switching on the heat graphs showed just about everything had a meter on it.. although oddly not always.. more worrying was the front wheels also starting to glow..

it was an odd sight indeed.. for the crew of a new locomotive just left the wreck of her sistertrain before her.. it was a bad omen

FIEbkd6.jpg

From there I shut the locomotive down for the night and saved..

We'll see what happens tomorrow.. I think ive met...

The heat kraken..

Huia0sD.jpg

Edited by Overland

I hope so :) but I think the kraken has other ideas.. I may have offended it by slaying its brother.. the instant random destruction on terrain kraken a few days ago.. it snacked on rover wheels that were deleted.. the problem I found was the save file had somehow made the wheels both motor enabled, disabled.. and steering on and off at the same time.. KSP didnt like that when going over boundries of terrain..

I just got in another 20km before bed..

4004s on the terrain now that 4008 was on during the tranquility and isolation videos posted early on in this thread..

The mountain 4004 and D4001 visited is also on the horizon to the right but im deciding if its worth the detour

For now, Kerbol sank below the horizon.. the sky changed to pretty colours then to stars..

BmY0gyj.jpg

48hUMFt.jpg

4004s lights seem to be working well.. although I turned on the rear shunting light so I could observe the wagons easier..

JtUKo3G.jpg

so far though its just a nice peaceful drive.. engines are at 3/4.. speeds around 28ms

YsrYbw7.jpg

I stopped for the night when things got too dark..

23km on the clock

Avlp9JK.jpg

Although the hood keeps glowing.. no resolve on that yet :)

Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.