[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I just wanted to check my assumptions based on what I've found searching through this thread:

1. Scatterer disables the in-game Antialiasing, so deselecting the in-game antialiasing is preferred to avoid artefacts. Or at least, scatterer will disable/override it (I assume permanently) when changing scenes - is that right? Should I turn the stock AA off?
  2. Scatterer defaults to TAA as it's preferred anti-aliasing

I play in 2K so aliased edges aren't a huge problem, but I still prefer some minimal antialiasing to smooth them out. However, I've found I'm particularly sensitive to Temporal Antialiasing and the way it can cause 'ghost images' when in motion, so tend not to use it if I have a choice. I think (assume) that scatterer implements it's own TAA so this may not be a problem, but would there be a significant performance impact in switching to scatterer's SMAA implementation instead of it's TAA? Or should I just disable scatterer's antialiasing entirely and use in-game (stock) antialising instead?

Edited by Kielm

On 12/7/2023 at 5:04 AM, KawaiiLucy said:

Not related to scatterer, but may I aks what mod makes your fairing mount look like this?

I noticed the user you asked didn't reply, so I'll take a guess based on the image. It might be KW Rocketry Simple Adjustable Fairings. Great fairing mod.

You can find it on CKAN. Just install the fairing portion, not the other full KW Rocketry mod.

Out of nowhere those black patches appeared on my sandbox save, idk what are they cities lights ? On map view they doesn't exist, but cities map do. Any help ?

6SzObjx.jpgbYB3Kwe.jpg02uYlCs.jpg

Hi, does anyone know if any other mods or steps are needed for scatterer to work on a 2.5x scaled kerbol system? I keep getting 4 errors shown in this image: 20231231205112_1.jpg?ex=65a6ac78&is=6594

I'm not sure what's causing this, and it only shows up whenever scatterer is installed.

Also, here is the content of the .cfg that the game was complaining about. Could anyone tell me if something is wrong with this code?

@Kopernicus:FOR[SigDim2]
{
	@Body:HAS[@SigmaDimensions:HAS[#Resize[1],#landscape[1]]]
	{
		%editCache = False
	}
	@Body:HAS[~cacheFile[*],~editCache[False]]
	{
		cacheFile = #Kopernicus/Cache/$name$.bin
	}
	@Body:HAS[~editCache[False]]
	{
		@cacheFile = #SigmaDimensions/Cache/§$SigmaDimensions/Resize$x]Resize/§$SigmaDimensions/landscape$x]landscape/$cacheFile$
		@cacheFile ^= :§:[:
	}
	@Body,*
	{
		!editCache = DEL
	}
}

Edited by Ultim32
Added more info

On 11/27/2023 at 6:20 PM, ike2462 said:

I know that there is a known issue with TU and scatterer on some devices. For me, the sky is just black in the reflections on my crafts. has anyone found a way to fix this? Currently I have to go all the way back to 0.06 for the reflection of the sky to work GKr4CWa.jpg

Yeah this currently happens on OpenGL (linux and Mac), I'll release a version fixing this in the future. If you're on windows make sure your reflections are enabled.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:26 PM, Rocket fan said:

157481326-d17ebbf7-b226-46d1-94f8-133848

I have scatterer, EVE, AVP, parallax, TUFX and kopernicus on and Kerbin looks like this. Any advice?

This happens randomly to some users, disable all the "scaled adjust" settings to fix it, including scaled contrast brightness etc, they're in the atmo settings. I'll have a version fixing it out in the future.

On 1/1/2024 at 2:52 PM, ForLok said:

can you update the Ckan version to v0.838.1?
i can't run kerbalVR without the .1 version

What 838.1 version?

On 1/2/2024 at 4:25 PM, Kielm said:

Hi, 

I just wanted to check my assumptions based on what I've found searching through this thread:

1. Scatterer disables the in-game Antialiasing, so deselecting the in-game antialiasing is preferred to avoid artefacts. Or at least, scatterer will disable/override it (I assume permanently) when changing scenes - is that right? Should I turn the stock AA off?
  2. Scatterer defaults to TAA as it's preferred anti-aliasing

I play in 2K so aliased edges aren't a huge problem, but I still prefer some minimal antialiasing to smooth them out. However, I've found I'm particularly sensitive to Temporal Antialiasing and the way it can cause 'ghost images' when in motion, so tend not to use it if I have a choice. I think (assume) that scatterer implements it's own TAA so this may not be a problem, but would there be a significant performance impact in switching to scatterer's SMAA implementation instead of it's TAA? Or should I just disable scatterer's antialiasing entirely and use in-game (stock) antialising instead?

1. Correct
2. You can switch to scatterer's SMAA, it's even cheaper than TAA. You can't use the in-game AA anymore, if you modify scatterer's source so that it no longer forces it off you'll get black artifacts.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:49 PM, Kakub said:

Out of nowhere those black patches appeared on my sandbox save, idk what are they cities lights ? On map view they doesn't exist, but cities map do. Any help ?

6SzObjx.jpgbYB3Kwe.jpg02uYlCs.jpg

Looks like broken city lights config, don't know more than that.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:03 PM, Ultim32 said:

Hi, does anyone know if any other mods or steps are needed for scatterer to work on a 2.5x scaled kerbol system? I keep getting 4 errors shown in this image: 20231231205112_1.jpg?ex=65a6ac78&is=6594

I'm not sure what's causing this, and it only shows up whenever scatterer is installed.

Also, here is the content of the .cfg that the game was complaining about. Could anyone tell me if something is wrong with this code?

@Kopernicus:FOR[SigDim2]
{
	@Body:HAS[@SigmaDimensions:HAS[#Resize[1],#landscape[1]]]
	{
		%editCache = False
	}
	@Body:HAS[~cacheFile[*],~editCache[False]]
	{
		cacheFile = #Kopernicus/Cache/$name$.bin
	}
	@Body:HAS[~editCache[False]]
	{
		@cacheFile = #SigmaDimensions/Cache/§$SigmaDimensions/Resize$x]Resize/§$SigmaDimensions/landscape$x]landscape/$cacheFile$
		@cacheFile ^= :§:[:
	}
	@Body,*
	{
		!editCache = DEL
	}
}

No idea, best to look at the KSP.log file for errors.

6 hours ago, AleksandrLXXXIV said:

Hello everyone. Such a problem . I purposely left only the "scatter" so that it could be seen.

@AleksandrLXXXIVSure, we'll try.

I appreciated that English might not be your primary language but I'm not sure what the problem is.  Are you concerned about the green lines ( those are communication paths)?  The difference in colour?  The lack of clouds?  Please clarify what you think your issue is.

In the meantime, and although you aren't referencing a mod failure or incompatibility, read this post for some guidance on how to report problems.  More information from you, such as KSP and mod version numbers, list of mods installed, etc., would be helpful.

Edited by Brigadier
Clarity

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

@AleksandrLXXXIVSure, we'll try.

I appreciated that English might not be your primary language but I'm not sure what the problem is.  Are you concerned about the green lines ( those are communication paths)?  The difference in colour?  The lack of clouds?  Please clarify what you think your issue is.

I'm not the person that reported the problem, but I'll wager it's the hard seam along the shoreline of that central continent, where there's a noticeable bug affecting how the land shows up. I was having a similar issue recently, but wasn't sure which of my beautification mods to chalk it up to.

2 hours ago, Brigadier said:

@АлександрLXXXIVКонечно, мы попробуем.

Я понимаю, что английский, возможно, не является вашим основным языком, но не знаю, в чем проблема. Вас беспокоят зеленые линии (это пути сообщения)? Разница в цвете? Отсутствие облаков? Пожалуйста, уточните, в чем, по вашему мнению, заключается ваша проблема.

А пока, хотя вы не ссылаетесь на сбой или несовместимость мода, прочтите этот пост, чтобы узнать, как сообщать о проблемах. Было бы полезно получить от вас дополнительную информацию, такую как номера версий KSP и модов, список установленных модов и т. д.

KSP 1.12.5 ,  Scatterer-0.0838  , ModuleManager.2.7.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:22 PM, blackrack said:

Looks like broken city lights config, don't know more than that.

I fixed it by redownloading EVE, but now I'm dealing with a very irritating bug where Earth textures are flickering with little blue dots (as shown in the example in the link). any help ?
https://imgur.com/a/byc6LLb

2 hours ago, Kakub said:

Я исправил это, перезагрузив EVE , но теперь имею дело с очень раздражающей ошибкой, когда текстуры Земли мерцают маленькими синими точками (как показано в примере по ссылке). любая помощь ?
https://imgur.com/a/byc6LLb

It's lightning , just turn them off .

Hi all, I've been having an error pop up in game "[Scatterer][Error] Destroying duplicate instance, check your install for duplicate scatterer folders, or nested GameData folders".

I also just noticed that my Kabram's blue sunflare seems...off? I can't tell: in the pictures in the imgur link below, is that what it's supposed to look like?

I did a bit of digging & found that, earlier in this thread, someone had something extremely, if not exactly, similar (page 370, +/- a few for context). But, I don't think it was ever resolved?

I looked through my GameData folder & couldn't find any duplicate scatterer folders or nested gamedata folders either. I'm confused how it got borked in the first place, since I install everything through CKAN...

Does anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?

https://imgur.com/a/VqZyrbW

edit: derp, forgot to include the log:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/khb92ktmid07ggar5djkc/Player.log?rlkey=u651xevcj9nvz5kgk51m0hu6s&dl=0

Edited by Bizobinator

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 12:35 PM, Bizobinator said:

Hi all, I've been having an error pop up in game "[Scatterer][Error] Destroying duplicate instance, check your install for duplicate scatterer folders, or nested GameData folders".

I also just noticed that my Kabram's blue sunflare seems...off? I can't tell: in the pictures in the imgur link below, is that what it's supposed to look like?

I did a bit of digging & found that, earlier in this thread, someone had something extremely, if not exactly, similar (page 370, +/- a few for context). But, I don't think it was ever resolved?

I looked through my GameData folder & couldn't find any duplicate scatterer folders or nested gamedata folders either. I'm confused how it got borked in the first place, since I install everything through CKAN...

Does anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?

https://imgur.com/a/VqZyrbW

edit: derp, forgot to include the log:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/khb92ktmid07ggar5djkc/Player.log?rlkey=u651xevcj9nvz5kgk51m0hu6s&dl=0

The sunflare looks normal to me, I have the same duplicate error in my log however there is no duplicate instance which is verified by the module manager log. The error only appears when entering the VAB or spaceplane hanger and has no other consequences so I assume it is fine, you should probably turn off the error popups however.

I also tried this on a clean install with both .0838 and .0859 which both had the same error

• 2 weeks later...

how do i turn down the size of ocean waves? online i find some mentions of a "wind speed" setting but i cant find it in the alt-f11 menu, and also no other wave size related setting

edit: never mind i found it, the alt-f11 screen that opens in the space center view is different from the one in flight view so that is why i didnt find it

Edited by minerbat

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 10:27 PM, SolarShield said:

The sunflare looks normal to me, I have the same duplicate error in my log however there is no duplicate instance which is verified by the module manager log. The error only appears when entering the VAB or spaceplane hanger and has no other consequences so I assume it is fine, you should probably turn off the error popups however.

I also tried this on a clean install with both .0838 and .0859 which both had the same error

Well, with regards to the sunflare, it sorta looks like the stock sun is being placed in the middle of the sunflare? Is that how it's normally supposed to be with the Kabrams sunflare installed? I do have a bazillion different mods installed, so it could very well be that I've goofed something up along the way...

• 3 weeks later...

With this mod it is just download and install or do I need to change settings too? If so, which do you set for the best results?

Also what other graphic mods do you guys run this one with, that works well with eachother and makes the game even look better?