[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

@Nansuchao

CKAN updated scatterer (also have SVE installed) and my highly modded install boots up with like 5GB memory usage (usual) and quickstarts into the game to the space center. I was working in windows some minutes and the PC was dying by swapping, looked into the task manager and KSP maxed out at 13GB aviable (of my 16GB system). I don't think this is a situation that is good to experience for a normal user...

Also I wonder why scatterer says v275 prerelease instead of like v300. Hmm.

Edited by Jebs_SY

Check your KSP.log. With the new scatterer (via CKAN), mine in scrolling non-stop--every 40 milliseconds.

[LOG 19:23:31.557] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Mun for Kerbin
[LOG 19:23:31.557] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Minmus for Kerbin
[LOG 19:23:31.561] [Scatterer] Atmosphere config found for: Kerbin
[EXC 19:23:31.574] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        scatterer.Manager.getDirectionToSun ()
        scatterer.SkyNode.InitPostprocessMaterial (UnityEngine.Material mat)
        scatterer.SkyNode.Start ()
        scatterer.Manager.Awake ()
        scatterer.Core.Update ()

Edited by doktorstick

2 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

@Nansuchao

CKAN updated scatterer (also have SVE installed) and my highly modded install boots up with like 5GB memory usage (usual) and quickstarts into the game to the space center. I was working in windows some minutes and the PC was dying by swapping, looked into the task manager and KSP maxed out at 13GB aviable (of my 16GB system). I don't think this is a situation that is good to experience for a normal user...

Also I wonder why scatterer says v275 prerelease instead of like v300. Hmm.

I think this is my problem also (possibly why Firefox is crashing simultaneously?).

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I plan on completely building SVE from the ground up tonight to work with scatterer. Please give me a couple of days to work out the issues. 

Hm, do old Scatterer configs no longer work? I've been messing with terrain textures and haven't checked new Scatterer compatibility yet.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

50 minutes ago, SmarterThanMe said:

I think this is my problem also (possibly why Firefox is crashing simultaneously?).

Just had exactly this with the current latest version of scatterer (0.300) from ckan. KSP grows to 13+ GB before eventually crashing, and my firefox in the background disappears.

just updated via CKAN. Im also seeing v275 prerelease while in game. Clouds are black, there's no water, and I run out of system memory pretty quickly. Is there any settings I can do for now, or should I just be patient and wait for SVE updates?

Or maybe my system just can't handle the new features?

Intel i5-4430 quad core (3.0ghz)

GeForce GTX 970

8GB ram

EDIT: just saw Galileo's update that he's working to rebuild SVE. I'll be patient and wait, but if anyone can comment on my specs: Im 99.8% sure I would still be fine to run it, but I guess a bit more ram doesn't hurt?

Edited by Arcadian Del Sol

So, I think it's SVE that's causing the issue. I didn't get a crash, but my framerate became so bad that rockets I had no problem flying started to make the clock turn yellow.

I went into CKAN and removed everything visual mod related (including SVE), and started adding things back manually. I added back Scatterer, EVE, Planetshine, and Texture Replacer, but didn't do anything SVE related. Framerate seems to have returned to where it was prior to the update to Scatterer.

Also, I am seeing that the config menu in game says that the version is 0.275 instead of 0.300. I'm guessing that's a string issue though.

For everyone with nullrefs just add this line to every planet in SVE

mainSunCelestialBody = Sun

That's it, it's because the sun can now be set separately for every planet which is useful for multi-star packs.

With that said I don't recommend using SVE with the new cloud integration until it updates. There are new variables that will be unset with the old configs, namely cloudColorMultiplier, cloudScatteringMultiplier, cloudIrradianceMultiplier and volumetricsColorMultiplier. Unless you want to set these up yourself, you'll have either black clouds or some overbright colors.

For the version number, it's just I didn't update it in game, that's all, it is the latest version however.

Edited by blackrack

@blackrack So, i just tested the new (official) release. I have to say that the new EVE integration makes eveything so much more realistic in terms of...well, everything. I have one small issue though.

This is what i get for Titan after loading a craft in orbit around Titan:

Spoiler

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

And this is after opening the EVE GUI and simply pressing "Apply":

Spoiler

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

I experimented with the various cloud parameters but nothing fixes it, besides reapplying the EVE configs. It is also possible that i have done something that Scatterer does not like, since most of the other bodies required only minor tweaking to get them right.

Edited by Phineas Freak
Remove images (not needed anymore)

59 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@blackrack So, i just tested the new (official) release. I have to say that the new EVE integration makes eveything so much more realistic in terms of...well, everything. I have one small issue though.

This is what i get for Titan after loading a craft in orbit around Titan:

Reveal hidden contents

scatterer_01.png

And this is after opening the EVE GUI and simply pressing "Apply":

Reveal hidden contents

scatterer_02.png

I experimented with the various cloud parameters but nothing fixes it, besides reapplying the EVE configs. It is also possible that i have done something that Scatterer does not like, since most of the other bodies required only minor tweaking to get them right.

What's the issue here? Looks normal to me. It just looks like it has too dense a cloud cover, which is more or less the same as Eve looks for me with the stock EVE settings (check the last album I posted).

Edited by blackrack

48 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

I was expecting the look of the sample picture #2. Instead i got the result of the picture #1. As i mentioned, i have to manually reapply the EVE settings every time i launch a new instance of KSP, as it does not persist.

Don't, reapplying EVE settings breaks the cloud integration in most cases, in which case you might as well disable it from the main menu.

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This is my Eve with my cloud textures... i dont know why its terminators are so smooth...

r2sRgam.png

This a good thing or a bad thing? And btw for the cloud tinting thing, the thinner the atmo, the harder the terminator will be. Since your Kerbin config has thin atmo and probably Eve a thick one, that explains it. I think atmospheres shouldn't be made thinner than the default scatterer Kerbin.

Edited by blackrack

8 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Don't, reapplying EVE settings breaks the cloud integration in most cases, in which case you might as well disable it from the main menu.

This a good thing or a bad thing? And btw for the cloud tinting thing, the thinner the atmo, the harder the terminator will be. Since your Kerbin config has thin atmo and probably Eve a thick one, that explains it. I think atmospheres shouldn't be made thinner than the default scatterer Kerbin.

yeah its a good thing for sure.. i was just showing that it is possible to get good results.. I did figure out that thicker atmospheres look better and have adjusted accordingly.. this update is so good!

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

This is my Eve with my cloud textures... i dont know why its terminators are so smooth...

r2sRgam.png

You are using terrain shadows? I have these strange patterns mentioned in initial page of the fórum. Only unchecking terrain shadows box i can see a image like this in eve!

8 minutes ago, blackrack said:

What am I looking at here?

perfection lol

here have another

IWLlDxF.png
yE9wXbF.png

I think SVE needed to be rebuilt anyway... I should have been in bed hours ago... its 6am here...

Edited by Galileo