[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I've gotten that too on occasion but the more common thing for me is the lower half of the screen flickering an ocean. Only happens when you cheat to orbit and goes away if you go the KSC and open it in the tracking station.

On 2017-4-19 at 5:38 PM, blackrack said:

Yeah this is not totally what I expected when I wanted to make the water surface render from below, but it's a start

aB3nvs3.jpg

I'm going to take this as @blackrack previewing his new Pirates of the Caribbean mod;

HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!

fdb1504704b2199487b73052f831942b.jpg

errrrr......I mean: "YAR me HEARTIES!!"

Edited by Errol

This is all so fitting because I just got assassin's creed black flag the other day, and have been playing a ton of it while I wait for 1.3 and I keep getting blown away by how awesome the water and ships are in that game. Being a sailor in reality I can say that the sailing simulation is none existent, and the ships control more like simple motorboats, but it is surprisingly fun. So glad to see that some of the effects I've seen there will soon be present in KSP...

also, @Starwaster; .....then rum's gone!? 

*checks for both backup bottles of kraken....yep, my private pirate stash is indeed intact, sir!

(sorry for my bad English)

Greatings:

How can I delete all the enviromental effects such as the illumination, atmospheric effects and all that without deleting the sun and ocean mod textures?? does anyone know what files do I have to delete or what else do I have to do?? 

Please someone tell me...

Good to know I'm not the only one seeing Kerbin's sea level go wonky. I just had the flight control tower under, VAB roof under, only the VAB helipads still above the water. I've seen minor floods and severe droughts, but never bad enough that the VAB was almost submerged. It's a hell of a day at sea, sir!

I've only ever had it immediately after loading a quicksave that was made in the KSC scene, and yep a scene change always fixes it.

"I've got a jar of dirt! I've got a jar of dirt! And I don't know what's inside it!"

- Jack Kerman, taking a surface sample

Hey, I have a question about ksp beautification. There are a lot of different configs available on ckan, when searching for "eve", "scatterer", "planetshine", etc.

Is there a (commented?) list of ckan configs I can select to make stock kerbol system beautiful while still being stable?

I know my way around mods and so on, just confused by all the beautification options and how they work together.

Edited by Yemo

At some point, I hid the settings window on the start menu, and now I'm unable to pull it up again using the hotkeys.  I've tried using Alt-F10 and Alt-F11.   Alt-F11 is set to toggle to my Nvidia game overlay, so that's a no go.   

I've tried pulling up the UI in various scenes (Start menu, space center, in-flight).  I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling scatterer via CKAN.  Nothing I've tried works so far.  Any ideas?  FWIW, my laptop requires the Fn key to access the function keys as instead of volume/brightness.

1 hour ago, captainb said:

At some point, I hid the settings window on the start menu, and now I'm unable to pull it up again using the hotkeys.  I've tried using Alt-F10 and Alt-F11.   Alt-F11 is set to toggle to my Nvidia game overlay, so that's a no go.   

I've tried pulling up the UI in various scenes (Start menu, space center, in-flight).  I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling scatterer via CKAN.  Nothing I've tried works so far.  Any ideas?  FWIW, my laptop requires the Fn key to access the function keys as instead of volume/brightness.

If I remember correctly, I used the nvidia gfexperience overlay once and it was "intercepting" the F10 F11 button presses. Anyway, if you reinstall the mod make sure you overwrite the config file as well, do it manually to be sure, I have no experience with CKAN and can't comment on it.

On 03/05/2017 at 0:20 AM, The Tenth Avenger said:

(sorry for my bad English)

Greatings:

How can I delete all the enviromental effects such as the illumination, atmospheric effects and all that without deleting the sun and ocean mod textures?? does anyone know what files do I have to delete or what else do I have to do?? 

Please someone tell me....You can't at the moment.

If I remember correctly, I used the nvidia gfexperience overlay once and it was "intercepting" the F10 F11 button presses. Anyway, if you reinstall the mod make sure you overwrite the config file as well, do it manually to be sure, I have no experience with CKAN and can't comment on it.

My workaround for now is to edit the config to have showMenuOnStart = True and just remember not to hide the UI.  Eventually I will take a closer look at gfexperience to see what key bindings I can change.

On 2017-4-28 at 6:37 AM, blackrack said:

Is this in the preview version? I had the feeling it fixed it.

Nope, on the plus side...it looks amazing...

3202F142CDFE91FE73615040C9322E21AF927ABF

I was however experiencing a number of issues with this modded install so there could be outside interference.

17 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

Nope, on the plus side...it looks amazing...

I was however experiencing a number of issues with this modded install so there could be outside interference.

7 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Agreed :P

If anyone knows how to consistently reproduce this bug it would help a lot, I can never reproduce it when I want to which makes it hard to debug.

10 minutes ago, blackrack said:

If anyone knows how to consistently reproduce this bug it would help a lot, I can never reproduce it when I want to which makes it hard to debug.

It does it in a completely stock game as well, not just when reparenting kerbin. From what I can tell, it is completely random. I have tried in the past to replicate it, but never had a consistent way to make it happen. The way I have seen it happen the most often is returning to the space center from orbit using the pause menu. 

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

If anyone knows how to consistently reproduce this bug it would help a lot

Sorry, I can never think of anything I might have done to trigger it when I see it happen. Just a ghost in the machine (code)

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

Ok, I have not found a way to reproduce the end of an ice age on Kerbin....but I have found a way to reproduce the flooding of the solar system...I think.

1) Start a new sandbox game.

2) Load Kerbal X to launch pad. (Edit: Tested with a simple pod>fuel tank>909 configuration too, so Kerbal X isn't necessary. Helps with other issues stated below.)

3) ALT+F12 and use the cheat menu to put the craft in to orbit around Minmus. Don't change anything, do not stage the craft, do not alter the orbit settings aside from the celestial body...do not pass go.

4) The craft should be in a very high orbit around Minmus and unable to move because even though the launch clamps are not visible anymore, they're still attached. So, ensure throttle is zero (it should be from my experience) and stage the craft.

5) Enable SAS and use the lock heading to retrograde option. It will take a while to rotate...

6) Switch to map view, right click the Pe tag and carefully thrust until your Pe reaches 6000m. This may be variable, I don't know, mine was around 5900.

7) Switch back to flight view, focus the view of your craft with Minmus in the background then increase timewarp. I should have noted what rate but I would guess about 100x. (Edit: Just run this a few time, 10000x warp, didn't check others but this does it for me.)

8) Hopefully, the solar system is now awash with a glorious ocean. If not, try again.

This was not a "clean install" of KSP as such. I did clean out the gamedata folder and verify the local files through Steam however. If this is not repeatable by others then I'll look at completely wiping the game and reinstalling but I suspect my actual game files are fine.

Here is a pastebin of the output log from entering flight mode, thru the procedure above, to reverting back to the editor once the flooding had occured. I don't see anything at the point I would expect, only an error relating to clouds earlier in the scene loading. If you want the entire log, let me know I just cut to the relevant part so it was perhaps easier to read through 600 lines than 12000 and up until this point, everything seems fine.

Edit: Oh, I stumbled on this because I was experiencing a massive framerate drop when approaching Minmus in a flight. I noticed odd looking shadows so I quit out, disabled terrain shadows and godrays, then cheated the Kerbal X craft in to orbit to see if the problem persisted....and it didn't. So I think terrain shadows have been a source of framerate problems for me for some time but I just finally got round to trying to eliminate it.

Edited by Manwith Noname