[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

has anyone ever opened up the config for Kerbin's atmo and found every other planet atmo cfg in there too?? It's happened to me just a few times randomly and I'm not sure why. I'm also not sure if it's causing any problems but I don't think I've noticed any, I just happen to see it whenever I look at the config for some reason to check/change things

At the moment Scatterer auto saves the configs when you open the GUI and make changes... due to the way some of the MM implementation was done it meant that when using some visual packs, the configs would be constantly overwritten with tons of entries for bodys over and over again if you kept opening the Scatterer GUI.

I think Blackrack may be planning to turn this behavior off when I last spoke to him about this issue. Also configs can be written with better MM practice to avoid this in most cases.

9 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Is this mod dead ? It seems there are no devs since a yeah and a half...

What? @blackrack is around and this mod is very alive. So, what do you mean? Did you read back at least a page or two in this thread?

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Oups sorry, i mismanaged my firefox, i was writing on the planetshine topic, not on the scatterer one, error sorry. Of course scatterer is alive XD

Well, planetshine still works in 1.2.2 so it hasn't needed an update. I wouldn't call it dead, but maybe weathering the test of time. I'm sure if it ever breaks due to an update, it will be fixed

Hum yes, but for planetshine my question was just that the planetshine maker had build a veryuy interessteing early wip version in 2015-2016 and just let it in "alpha" without working on it. (and last modification on the guthub was one yeah ago too) . So i imagine that the devellopemnt is stopped.

So sad.

I keep hoping for the old KSP team to rebuild a new team or for an other team to walk on their step ... still hoping that we don't have to wait 10 years for this :(

@blackrack just thought you should know in the testing version, fairings don't get the same underwater effects as the other parts, probably just a layer issue. You can see an interstage fairing just under the chutes in this image.

39eZBsR.png

Let me know if you need to know what other mods I have installed

Edited by selfish_meme

4 minutes ago, F1RacerDan said:

Hi all,

Ive painstakingly installed RO/RSS with EVE/SCATTERER/RSSVE however im getting possibly the ugliest sun and no sunglare? any suggestions

Perhaps post your logs and a screenshot of your gamedata. Looks like you installed SVE at one point. That sun flare is not from RSSVE 

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Perhaps post your logs and a screenshot of your gamedata. Looks like you installed SVE at one point. That sun flare is not from RSSVE 

https://gyazo.com/73eb91506e4a25517a9e975313bb1cf9

https://gyazo.com/d3e46e40bb7e72c0ffdda418446d1f9a]

here is my GameData. Im not sure what you mean by logs? and its a fresh install so havent purposely added SVE :(

15 minutes ago, F1RacerDan said:

here is my GameData. Im not sure what you mean by logs? and its a fresh install so havent purposely added SVE :(

You cannot use RSSVE and SSRSS at the same time..  SSRSS has its own visual cfgs bundled into the mod in the clouds(optional). Just install that folder, EVE, and Scatterer and you will have clouds and atmospheres. 

In the SSRSS OP, it says that SSRSS has support for EVE and Scatterer and I provide links.

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

You cannot use RSSVE and SSRSS at the same time..  SSRSS has its own visual cfgs bundled into the mod in the clouds(optional). Just install that folder, EVE, and Scatterer and you will have clouds and atmospheres. 

In the SSRSS OP, it says that SSRSS has support for EVE and Scatterer and I provide links.

you sir are an absolute star! im not sure how i installed SSRSS but i just took the folder out and everything is now working fine :)

Edited by F1RacerDan

Hi everyone, i have made a fresh install of some mods and ...
i keep havng some errors. For scatterer i keen having this one :

[Scatterer] Mapping EVE volumetrics for planet: Kerbin

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[Scatterer] Volumetric clouds error on planet: KerbinSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at scatterer.SkyNode.mapEVEvolumetrics () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[Scatterer] Detected 2 EVE volumetric layers for planet: Kerbin

Does someone have any idea of the way to correct this ?  I take any suggestions :wink:

Hey,

could this be an error with scatterer?

[EXC 22:21:16.027] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff ()
	scatterer.updateAtCameraRythm.OnPreCull ()
[LOG 22:21:16.049] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
[ERR 22:21:16.080] Exception handling event onPlanetariumTargetChange in class KnowledgeBase:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ResourceMap.GetResourceItemList (HarvestTypes harvest, .CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.CreateResourceList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.ActivateApp (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.ActivateApps (KbTargetType targetType, .MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 22:21:16.083] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ResourceMap.GetResourceItemList (HarvestTypes harvest, .CelestialBody body)
	KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.CreateResourceList ()
	KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.ActivateApp (.MapObject target)
	KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.ActivateApps (KbTargetType targetType, .MapObject target)
	KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target)
	EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`1:Fire(MapObject)
	PlanetariumCamera:SetTarget(MapObject)
	PlanetariumCamera:SetTarget(Int32)
	PlanetariumCamera:SetTarget(String)
	<Start>c__Iterator95:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

They came since I installed Scatterer, EVE, SVE, SVT, Kopernicus.

So first I thought it might be an error related to Kopernicus:

Here are all the Logs and other Information they asked for:

KSP-Errors_12-05-2017.zip

If you need more Information, just ask for it. :wink:

---

Sorry for my english, it's only my third language.

Edited by N3N

Hi, i have a question for Blackrack.

I have trying to debug a problem in texturing currently. And it appear that with scatterer and the normal/shadow bias it is OK.

BUT, it is mainly OK with the ground rendering (near plane). I have tried to understand the alt point rendering of your mods and very little is say about ground.

So after bit of investigating i came directly  to ask my question : Why the near plane rendering of shadow (etc) in your mod is so different between near plane and other plane ? It is strange that this "cut" is so sharp. between the two rendering mode.

If i want exactly the near plane rendering of shadow in the second plane. How can i do ?

If you have an idea ^^

edit : viewing some old post of you on this :

And other information. It appear that it could be possible to adjust the PQS size of near plane. Some of guys says that it could be done in the main menu of your mod. But i don't really find it, old feature i imagine ?

edit : find that you activate it in your last experimental version. It could be a workaround for my bug but my questions remains on the difference of processing between terrain shadow in near plane and other plane ... i prefer having the exact same render rather than messing with plane.

Edited by msnbcorp

Hello.  So i've got this problem.  First I thought it was SVE related, but the fellas over at the SVE thread pointed me here, so i'll just copy my post from there to here.

I've encountered this glitch when using the orbital map.  Happens when i'm piloting a craft and the engines are active.  

17ca4e80fa.gif

This only happens AFTER i fire the engines and throttle up.  I can sit on the launchpad/runway/orbit and it's fine.  If i go back to the tracking station then back to the craft, the glitch is gone.  It's only after throttling it up that it breaks like that.  Sometimes it even goes away after landing and throttling down, without a scene change.

Output Log 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ze8gaf0io22f0l/output_log.txt?dl=0

Modlist as follows.  

Spoiler

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.4.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.18
AllYAllContinued - 0.10.2
B9 Animation Modules - 1.0.5
B9 Part Switch - 1.7.1
B9 Aerospace - 6.3.1
B9 Aerospace - 6.3.1
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.11
Bon Voyage - 0.12
CactEye Telescopes - 1.2.2.11
Chatterer - 0.9.92.1622
CIT_Util - 1.3
BAM - 1.2
CollisionFX - 4.0
Community Category Kit - 1.2.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.6
CommunityTechTree - 3.0.3
Connected Living Space - 1.2.4.2
Contract Configurator - 1.22.2
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Contract Pack: Exploration Plus - 1.0.1
Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.2
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy - 1.1.7
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.6.1
Rover Missions - 0.1.7
Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts - 0.3.27
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.5.2
Contract Reward Modifier - 1.0.2.4
CorrectCOL - 1.5.1
Crowd Sourced Science - 4.0.1
Custom Asteroids - 1.4.1
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.12
DestructionEffects - 1.4
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.8.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.8
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.5
Contract Parser - 1.0.5
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.7.3
Progress Parser - 1.0.6
Dynamic Deflection - 1.2.2.2
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.2
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.12
EVA Struts - 1.0.3
EVA Transfer - 1.0.6
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.7.2
Firespitter - 7.5.1
Flexible Docking - 1.0.4
FMRS (Flight Manager For Reusable Stages) - 1.2.4
GroundConstruction - 1.1.2.1
Impact - 1.5.1
JanitorsCloset - 0.2.19
JSIAdvTransparentPods - 0.1.13
RasterPropMonitor - 0.28
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.2
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.1
KerbalLaunchFailure - 0.4.3
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KWRocketryRedux - 3.1.2
Infernal Robots - 2.0.10
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.4
NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicatorCE - 1.0.1.1
NearFutureConstruction - 0.7.6
NearFutureElectrical - 0.8.7
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.8.7
NearFutureSolar - 0.7.2
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.6.3
Final Frontier - 1.2.7.3080
Outer Planets Mod - 2.0
PlanetShine - 0.2.5.2
PoodsOPMVO - 0.3.4
QuickBrake - 1.3.2
QuickHide - 3.2.2
Radio Free Kerbin - 1.2
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.1
RealChute - 1.4.3
RealPlume - Stock - 0.11.4
Recovery Controller - 0.0.1
ReentryParticleEffect - 1.2.0.1
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.4
RetractableLiftingSurface - 0.1.3
SafeChute - 2.1.6
SCANsat - 1.1.6.11
Science Relay - 1.0.3.1
SETI-ProbeParts - 1.2.2.1
Sigma Binary - 1.6.2
SmartActuation - 1.0.1.1
SmartParts - 1.9.5.1
StageRecovery - 1.7.1
StationPartsExpansion - 0.4.3
StationScienceContinued - 2.2.1
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.2.2
Strategia - 1.5
Stock Visual Terrain - 2.0.4
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.12
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 6.6.1
TimeControl - 2.5
ToadicusToolsContinued - 0.22
TooManyOrbits - 1.1
Trajectories - 1.6.6
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.4
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.9.1
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.1
TweakableEverything - 0.1.19.2
TweakScale - 2.3.4
USI Core - 0.3.10
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.9.9
USI Exploration Pack - 0.7.4
Freight Transport Tech - 0.6.8
Karbonite - 0.8.8
Konstruction - 0.1.12
USI-LS - 0.5.24
Malemute Rover - 0.2.8
MKS - 0.50.18
Universal Storage - 1.2.2
Unmanned before Manned - 1.2.2.1
Unmanned before Manned - Challenge - 1.2.2.2
VenStockRevamp - 1.9.5
Waypoint Manager - 2.6.2
WildBlueTools - 1.19
Kerbal Actuators - 1.0.3
Buffalo - 2.0.8
Pathfinder - 1.8.8
[x] Science! - 5.6

43 minutes ago, Xiyn said:

Hello.  So i've got this problem.  First I thought it was SVE related, but the fellas over at the SVE thread pointed me here, so i'll just copy my post from there to here.

I've encountered this glitch when using the orbital map.  Happens when i'm piloting a craft and the engines are active.  

This only happens AFTER i fire the engines and throttle up.  I can sit on the launchpad/runway/orbit and it's fine.  If i go back to the tracking station then back to the craft, the glitch is gone.  It's only after throttling it up that it breaks like that.  Sometimes it even goes away after landing and throttling down, without a scene change.

Have you tried removing all mods except SVE and its dependencies?

if the issue goes away you will know it's not Scatterer causing the issue. Then you can add your mods back bit by bit until the issues happens again, then you can narrow down to the culprit.

Had I seen this question in the SVE thread, that would have been the recommendation I would have given you. Try that and see what happens.

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Have you tried removing all mods except SVE and its dependencies?

if the issue goes away you will know it's not Scatterer causing the issue. Then you can add your mods back bit by bit until the issues happens again, then you can narrow down the culprit.

Had I seen this question in the SVE thread, that would have been the recommendation I would have given you. Try that and see what happens.

Thanks.  I'll see what I can do on that.  With over 160 installed mods, it will be quite a daunting job.  I'm not even sure where to start.  

7 minutes ago, Xiyn said:

Thanks.  I'll see what I can do on that.  With over 160 installed mods, it will be quite a daunting job.  I'm not even sure where to start.  

Just remove them all and add them back 10 by 10 or 20 by 20. That way when the error happens again, you only have to sift through 10 or 20 mods 

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Just remove them all and add them back 10 by 10 or 20 by 20. That way when the error happens again, you only have to sift through 10 or 20 mods 

I'll get started on that.  I believe this will require copying my install directory.  With everything installed via CKAN, I'll need to backup what I have installed so I dont forget what's what.  

So a small note on "fault finding".

The quickest way to determine conflicts with mods is to first make sure you have a definite method of reproducing the problem.

Then, remove 50% of your mods and test.

If the problem still exists, remove 50% of what remains and test. If the problem goes away, remove the mods not causing any issue and put back the ones you initially removed Test again. Repeat.

If you ever get to the point where the 50% you have removed stops the problem and the 50% you put back doesn't make the problem manifest itself, you need to start dividing your two halves up (50% of each) and merging them.

I hope that makes sense. Now, that said, it's clear this issue involves scatterer as the flicker is the water shader and atmosphere it creates, or at least that's what it looks like to me, so don't ever remove scatterer in this instance. Also, it was mentioned this occurs when firing engines which makes me wonder, is the Engine Lighting mod involved?

3 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

So a small note on "fault finding".

The quickest way to determine conflicts with mods is to first make sure you have a definite method of reproducing the problem.

Then, remove 50% of your mods and test.

If the problem still exists, remove 50% of what remains and test. If the problem goes away, remove the mods not causing any issue and put back the ones you initially removed Test again. Repeat.

If you ever get to the point where the 50% you have removed stops the problem and the 50% you put back doesn't make the problem manifest itself, you need to start dividing your two halves up (50% of each) and merging them.

I hope that makes sense. Now, that said, it's clear this issue involves scatterer as the flicker is the water shader and atmosphere it creates, or at least that's what it looks like to me, so don't ever remove scatterer in this instance. Also, it was mentioned this occurs when firing engines which makes me wonder, is the Engine Lighting mod involved?

Yes, I do have engine lighting installed, but it was one of the first mods I removed when I started trying to solve this and unfortunately, it was not the culprit.