[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 5/25/2017 at 9:04 PM, selfish_meme said:

Theres a post on reddit here which may be related to this 

I get this kind of thing too. Seams in the terrain. Missing squares with stars in the bottom. Floating terrain in space.

8 hours ago, cy4n said:

Using the latest preview (with water refraction) I get weird halos around the atmosphere:

5ehikpL.png

I have removed all other mods and tried again, but the issue is still there.

I've had this issue on Macs. Go into settings (the one in the game's main loading screen, not in-game) & look for the alternate shader (the name eludes me at the moment). Whatever it's set to, select the opposite.

3 hours ago, ai_guy said:

Yeah I am getting the floating tiles as well since the update.  Not the halo though. 

Let me know if you want some logs, or help debugging.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, Mr Shifty said:

I get this kind of thing too. Seams in the terrain. Missing squares with stars in the bottom. Floating terrain in space.

Please don't keep reporting this issue with the new version, I haven't updated the mod for it yet.

12 hours ago, cy4n said:

Using the latest preview (with water refraction) I get weird halos around the atmosphere:

5ehikpL.png

Opengl or dx11?

11 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

I've had this issue on Macs. Go into settings (the one in the game's main loading screen, not in-game) & look for the alternate shader (the name eludes me at the moment). Whatever it's set to, select the opposite.

I see the same weird double-horizon, but I can't see any main-loading screen setting about shader, the only thing about rendering I did find is this [which doesn't have any effect]:
S48IIYY.png

Edited by Bersaelor

3 hours ago, Bersaelor said:

I see the same weird double-horizon, but I can't see any main-loading screen setting about shader, the only thing about rendering I did find is this [which doesn't have any effect]:

23 hours ago, cy4n said:

He means from the mod main menu.

Anyway, for this bug I thought I found a new way to fix it without having the alternate shader toggle in the main menu, guess it's not working for everyone, I will put everything back the way it was for next release.

On 18/05/2017 at 4:01 AM, EricL said:

So, I'm working on adding Scatterer compatibility to my planet pack, but there is a bug with eclipses:

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot102.png?dl=1

I also tried to head over to the affected area and here is what I came up with:

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot103.png?dl=1

screenshot104.png?dl=1

Can anyone figure out what is causing this bug and is there any fix for it?

Sorry I can't really see what's going on, perhaps more pictures and description would help.

On 23/05/2017 at 2:53 AM, Rayder said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but is there a way to change the point where scatterer decides the flare has been occluded? I'm getting images like the one here. This one was taken from Moho:

Reveal hidden contents

3CR6Olk.png

It seems that the flare is centered on a singular point in the center of the sun. If it were say, the same size as the sun the flare would cut out properly once the sun was fully occluded.

Also, is it possible to have a fade out animation for the flare? The same way the stock sun fades out behind planets, instead of turning off abruptly.

You're right, it's centered on one point in the middle of the sun, it's the target if the raycast that checks wether or not there is something in front of the sun.

Anyway, the problem is I'd have to do a bunch of raycasts at different points in the sun and average the result to get that effect, or I would have to find a way to render the sun surface with a replacement shader then downscale it somehow to a single pixel which gives the "occlusion" ratio. neither of these solutions seem very elegant to me so i just left it as it is.

Personally I don't like stock's fade out animation as usually with timewarp on I can see the flare going well inside occluding objects.

11 hours ago, Bersaelor said:

S48IIYY.png

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What you need is on the screen where you can go to Start New Game or Settings; right after the game finishes loading completely (when you first here the music), but before you select which save you're going to play. there should be a Scatterer settings panel overlaid on the upper left - if not, hit alt-f10 or alt-f11. The setting you are looking for is "Alternate SQRT in shader" (3rd radio button from the bottom):

t14JqLD.png

I've used this with EVE/SVE before, but my gfx card just struggles too much. Is there any benefit to using this without those other mods, or do they go hand in hand? Does this cause the bigger performance impact, or the other mods?

Since I'll be starting a new game once the mods I like are finished updating, just want to get some info about visual mods while I wait to see what would make a good compromise of visuals vs performance.

1 hour ago, strudo76 said:

I've used this with EVE/SVE before, but my gfx card just struggles too much. Is there any benefit to using this without those other mods, or do they go hand in hand? Does this cause the bigger performance impact, or the other mods?

Since I'll be starting a new game once the mods I like are finished updating, just want to get some info about visual mods while I wait to see what would make a good compromise of visuals vs performance.

You can run this without EVE/SVE and with the ocean shaders turned off to have a much smaller impact on performance.

On 23.04.2017 at 11:30 PM, blackrack said:

So I'm in need of some testers for the new effects.

Things to keep in mind for this (preview) version:

-New effects include: Water refraction and depth-based transparency, contact foam and underwater surface and "fog", there are some new parameters in the ocean tab to control them
-If you disable refraction, underwater effects may not work, this will be fixed.
-Ocean lights compatibility will break all the new effects, disable it for now. This will be fixed.
-Sunflares still render underwater, this will be fixed.
-From orbits around 70-160km, when you have refractions on, you might see outlines around the shore, this will be fixed.
-I haven't made configs for laythe or EVE oceans so they'll get the default values.
-The setting for alternate SQRT is removed, it should not be needed anymore, please report if you still get issues with the "leaking halo" around planets.
-There used to be a very obvious line around 300m in front of the camera where the postprocessing effect starts, this is fixed.
-I haven't tested with EVE or any other mods, I expect the clouds might be visible through the underwater surface, please tell me if this is the case.
-NearClipPlane parameter is back in the config file, I don't recommend messing with it.
-When the camera is just at the water surface level there may be some artifacting, a bit lower or higher everything should work well.

Report any new issues and let me know what you think of the new features.

Have fun

https://mega.nz/#!KBgjhQgY!A3ccBD_YyURyanNrmu9i2DTNXuM3-KKQ8-Wu11Z7PwM

Link doesn't work

On 5/28/2017 at 8:51 AM, blackrack said:

Sorry I can't really see what's going on, perhaps more pictures and description would help.

This is what I'm talking about:

Spoiler

screenshot124.png?dl=1

When the moon passes a certain position above the planet's daytime side, a weird shadow that doesn't really look like an eclipse forms.

screenshot125.png?dl=1

However, when the moon moves back into the night-time side, the shadow disappears.

screenshot126.png?dl=1

When the moon moves back into day, the shadow becomes like this, and as time goes on, it 'clumps' into a single dark spot on the planet that gradually fades away:

screenshot127.png?dl=1

The whole thing finally ends with a proper eclipse, but IN THE WRONG POSITION!

screenshot128.png?dl=1

Edited by EricL
more information

9 minutes ago, EricL said:

This is what I'm talking about:

Hide contents

screenshot124.png?dl=1

When the moon passes a certain position above the planet's daytime side, a weird shadow that doesn't really look like an eclipse forms.

However, when the moon moves back into the night-time side, the shadow disappears.

When the moon moves back into day, the shadow becomes like this, and as time goes on, it 'clumps' into a single dark spot on the planet that gradually fades away:

The whole thing finally ends with a proper eclipse, but IN THE WRONG POSITION!

I will need your kopernicus and scatterer configs for this, I can not know like this.

Hi, I absolutely love this mods' graphical beauty, but before I load it right in there, do I need to be concerned about low framerate? I'm not really rich and so I cant buy new PC's (or at least make them) so I only have a GeForce 210 1GB GPU, with stock graphics at quite high settings, avaraging around 23-28fps

5 hours ago, Adamthescientist said:

Hi, I absolutely love this mods' graphical beauty, but before I load it right in there, do I need to be concerned about low framerate? I'm not really rich and so I cant buy new PC's (or at least make them) so I only have a GeForce 210 1GB GPU, with stock graphics at quite high settings, avaraging around 23-28fps

That does sound about correct, coming from experience of having an awful GPU I would say that framerates will suffer a little bit, down to about 15-25fps.