[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

First of all, love the mod, thanks for the amazing work.

One quick question- is this in the image below a Scatterer issue? I know I saw a similar image somewhere a while ago and I believe I remember it being related to Scatterer, or some combination of it and another mod (I also have E.V.E. and S.V.E. installed). Squares of the terrain, no matter where I am on Kerbin, always start floating up like that when I'm landing. Always seems to happen during descent right between ~1500m and ~300m. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/Qs3u5

5uOev9W.jpg

Edited by Detroit12

14 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

The ksp comunity is waiting for an update because its imposible to fly like this

That's as may be, but please remember that modding is hard, time-consuming work that modders do in their spare time, for free, to give us all shiny new toys, for free.

Sure, this is a bug that I can well understand would be annoying to a player (though it's already been posted, multiple times, that there's a workaround-- just read the thread above).  I'm sure that the author of this mod is aware of the issue, and I can assure you that no modder likes there to be highly visible bugs in their mod, which after all is a labor of love.  Modders take pride in what they do.

But please remember that the amount of time it takes the modder to fix a given bug has nothing whatsoever to do with how annoying that bug may be to you.  And also remember that it's tedious, time-consuming work for the modder to do that.  And also that this isn't their job-- they've got real, actual lives IRL, like the rest of us, and any time the modder spends on modding is time they have to take away from their IRL responsibilities that obviously have higher priority (work, school, family, etc.)  And also that although you owe them a debt of gratitude for all the hard work they have done and continue to do on your behalf, they don't owe you anything, since they've done all this out of the goodness of their hearts.

That doesn't mean one shouldn't report bugs in mods.  Please do!  Modders love to know if there's a problem with their mods.  But while it's fine to report bugs... please don't complain about it.  In this particular case, plenty of people have already pointed out this particular bug, so there's no need to report it further, so, 'nuff said, yes?

It's great that there's such an active community of KSP modders to give us all these great, free, shiny toys.  Please remember that modders do this, unrewarded, for the sheer joy of it.  If a modder loses the joy, they stop modding, and then everybody loses.  Being a modder myself, I can attest that it's really not fun if someone's complaining (rather than offering helpful suggestions) about the thing you poured your heart and soul into to give them.  Saying "it's really bad and this is awful and we really need a fix right away" conveys no useful information and is unhelpful.

So... let's not get in the modder's way by jostling his elbow and breathing down his neck, shall we?

9 minutes ago, Snark said:

That's as may be, but please remember that modding is hard, time-consuming work that modders do in their spare time, for free, to give us all shiny new toys, for free.

Sure, this is a bug that I can well understand would be annoying to a player (though it's already been posted, multiple times, that there's a workaround-- just read the thread above).  I'm sure that the author of this mod is aware of the issue, and I can assure you that no modder likes there to be highly visible bugs in their mod, which after all is a labor of love.  Modders take pride in what they do.

But please remember that the amount of time it takes the modder to fix a given bug has nothing whatsoever to do with how annoying that bug may be to you.  And also remember that it's tedious, time-consuming work for the modder to do that.  And also that this isn't their job-- they've got real, actual lives IRL, like the rest of us, and any time the modder spends on modding is time they have to take away from their IRL responsibilities that obviously have higher priority (work, school, family, etc.)  And also that although you owe them a debt of gratitude for all the hard work they have done and continue to do on your behalf, they don't owe you anything, since they've done all this out of the goodness of their hearts.

That doesn't mean one shouldn't report bugs in mods.  Please do!  Modders love to know if there's a problem with their mods.  But while it's fine to report bugs... please don't complain about it.  In this particular case, plenty of people have already pointed out this particular bug, so there's no need to report it further, so, 'nuff said, yes?

It's great that there's such an active community of KSP modders to give us all these great, free, shiny toys.  Please remember that modders do this, unrewarded, for the sheer joy of it.  If a modder loses the joy, they stop modding, and then everybody loses.  Being a modder myself, I can attest that it's really not fun if someone's complaining (rather than offering helpful suggestions) about the thing you poured your heart and soul into to give them.  Saying "it's really bad and this is awful and we really need a fix right away" conveys no useful information and is unhelpful.

So... let's not get in the modder's way by jostling his elbow and breathing down his neck, shall we?

i need to say that that was one of th best coments in this forums

I am trying to get Scatterer working again, I have gone back to Ksp 1.2.2 removed all other mods, re-installed scatterer, and I get the config menu at the home screen but in game is completely stock.  As in scatterer is not doing anything, any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Edited by maverick8717

43 minutes ago, maverick8717 said:

I am trying to get Scatterer working again, I have gone back to Ksp 1.2.2 removed all other mods, re-installed scatterer, and I get the config menu at the home screen but in game is completely stock.  As in scatterer is not doing anything, any ideas as to what might be wrong?

read this and provide what is needed for us to troubleshoot

if you are expecting clouds, this is the wrong mod. 

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, maverick8717 said:

Check your virus scanner.  I've had mine remove a .dll or 7 on me while I wasn't looking.

ZD

40 minutes ago, ZuluDoggy said:

Check your virus scanner.  I've had mine remove a .dll or 7 on me while I wasn't looking.

ZD

This. I've had this happen many times. No matter how many settings I change on my system, the overzealous anti-virus software still occasionally quarantines a .dll (particularly a brand new version) and wreaks havoc.

47 minutes ago, ZuluDoggy said:

ZD

5 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

This. I've had this happen many times. No matter how many settings I change on my system, the overzealous anti-virus software still occasionally quarantines a .dll (particularly a brand new version) and wreaks havoc.

While this may be, wouldn't the main menu be missing if the dll was removed by the anti virus?

Just now, Norcalplanner said:

My response was more generalized to .dll files from any mod.

Oh I see. I have had it happen too, I just thought you were saying it could have happened in this case :) I gotcha now 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, Galileo said:

While this may be, wouldn't the main menu be missing if the dll was removed by the anti virus?

You would think so, but I've had it happen in EVE a lot.  My AV removes a .dll from within a sub-directory without me noticing, and even though I get the menu on startup, the program produces no effects.  I've never had it happen w/Scatterer, but based on history...

ZD

Just checked the known issues, and I did see this:

Scatterer atmosphere does not draw over Kopernicus rings in map view.

This is an observation, and if you need the config, i'll provide them (I'm on the phone whilst writing this). Here's a picture I took earlier highlighting the issue:

GO8BbXr.png

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Just checked the known issues, and I did see this:

Scatterer atmosphere does not draw over Kopernicus rings in map view.

This is an observation, and if you need the config, i'll provide them (I'm on the phone whilst writing this). Here's a picture I took earlier highlighting the issue:

GO8BbXr.png

What am I looking at? 

If you are talking about how the rings are visible over the atmosphere right where it disappears behind the planet, well, the known issues that you quoted cover that. 

14 minutes ago, Galileo said:

What am I looking at? 

If you are talking about how the rings are visible over the atmosphere right where it disappears behind the planet, well, the known issues that you quoted cover that. 

Yes, the rings visible over the planet. Either i'm not looking hard enough or i'm looking in the wrong place (i'm looking at Known issues of newest version and I don't see it). If it's known, nevermind, all is well.

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Yes, the rings visible over the planet. Either i'm not looking hard enough or i'm looking in the wrong place (i'm looking at Known issues of newest version and I don't see it). If it's known, nevermind, all is well.

wait what? @Galileo I think he typo'd and meant to say he checked the Known Issues and didn't see what he quoted

13 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

wait what? @Galileo I think he typo'd and meant to say he checked the Known Issues and didn't see what he quoted

I meant to say "did not"...

I completely overlooked that. My bad, you're right Drew

Edited by Gameslinx