[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

24 minutes ago, V8jester said:

A few people have made this same observation. I hit 17GB last night on my 32GB system myself. It seems to have a memory leak the I believe @blackrack is aware of and I'm sure will tackle in due time. One of us just needs to go down to his dungeon and change his water and food bowls first :wink:

Are you trying to use SVE with it?

@blackrack I have a suggestion. Could you possible make it so that sunflares are visible after a configurable distance, such that if you have a star orbiting the Sun 4 light years away, you could see its tiny sunflare all the way from Kerbin/Earth? If you could do that, that would be absolutely perfect for my mod.

Having the same primary issue, but I wanted to show off a more humorous side effect of the bug that causes the ocean to vanish entirely off of Kerbin.  I'm either going to roll back SVE or wait for the fix as recommended, but I'm curious if others are getting that same problem?

318A6D24D1032EA36B820EF822F3496693B8AF9A (1280×720)

Don't want to dev to worry about vanishing oceans, as his proposed fix coming Monday should correct this, but I found the sudden lack of oceans humorous and wanted to share it.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

2 hours ago, Nittany Tiger said:

Having the same primary issue, but I wanted to show off a more humorous side effect of the bug that causes the ocean to vanish entirely off of Kerbin.  I'm either going to roll back SVE or wait for the fix as recommended, but I'm curious if others are getting that same problem?

318A6D24D1032EA36B820EF822F3496693B8AF9A (1280×720)

Don't want to dev to worry about vanishing oceans, as his proposed fix coming Monday should correct this, but I found the sudden lack of oceans humorous and wanted to share it.

I've had this issue for ages with SVE. I already got used to it. You can think that Kerbin is just a huge amusement park and sometimes kerbals need to clean their big waterpool :)

PS: I also have the memory leak problem. I first blamed it on my mod, but then it looks that Scatterer is eating my laptop's brains.

5 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@blackrack I have a suggestion. Could you possible make it so that sunflares are visible after a configurable distance, such that if you have a star orbiting the Sun 4 light years away, you could see its tiny sunflare all the way from Kerbin/Earth? If you could do that, that would be absolutely perfect for my mod.

Uhh, explain better?

On 28/01/2017 at 7:23 PM, V8jester said:

Nope just regular old (WAZ) EVE with the included configs.

Does the memory leak go away if you disable the EVE cloud integration? How fast is the memory leaking? Is it leaking all the time or on scene changes?

40 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I'm using sunflare on a 10X rescaled system. Usually the Sunflare works fine like this:

However after I zoom my view into planetary orbit, the sunflare just gone and leave the flareless sun behind(dat white dot):

Any fix?

Reproduce the issue and post log

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

Uhh, explain better?

Basically, could you make it that sunflares are still visible from great distances, so that from Earth/Kerbin, a star light years away would appear as stars do in the night sky in real life.

3 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Basically, could you make it that sunflares are still visible from great distances, so that from Earth/Kerbin, a star light years away would appear as stars do in the night sky in real life.

But, doesn't distant object enhancements do this?

Just now, blackrack said:

But, doesn't distant object enhancements do this?

However, I believe you cant change the distances at which you see objects. I doubt DOE would allow you to be able to see an object that is light years away.

4 hours ago, HampstersINspace said:

Im sorry but im not sure what log your talking about. The folder labeled Logs only has a Kopernicus folder. or is it the logs for any game crashes.

The Logs
These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)
  • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

hope this helps :wink:

15 hours ago, blackrack said:

Does the memory leak go away if you disable the EVE cloud integration? How fast is the memory leaking? Is it leaking all the time or on scene changes?

I am still messing with it and while 17GB is a lot. It takes it (what seems to me) quite a while sitting in the flight scene to creep up that high. I haven't noticed the old memory creep during scene changes nearly as much as 1.0.5 did. But I will try disabling clouds / EVE next to see what happens.

@blackrack Hello, I am wanting to upload my texture overhaul. Is it okay if I include your mod in the download, rather than telling people to go here and there to download things. It's on 1.1.3 and I will definitely be giving you plenty of credit, as without your mod my overhaul will look like poop. I just wanted a nice easy pack for people to install. Here's the page, I put it up a few hours ago. Cheers.

3 hours ago, HampstersINspace said:

Thanks PmThay. This is very helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=output_log.txt

is this how its post to be?

Yes, I will take a look when I can.

43 minutes ago, ufindbatman said:

@blackrack Hello, I am wanting to upload my texture overhaul. Is it okay if I include your mod in the download, rather than telling people to go here and there to download things. It's on 1.1.3 and I will definitely be giving you plenty of credit, as without your mod my overhaul will look like poop. I just wanted a nice easy pack for people to install. Here's the page, I put it up a few hours ago. Cheers.

Yes.

@blackrack how dependent is Scatterer on the sun in KSP? The thing is, I'm making a Kopernicus pack that adds a binary star system but adding Scatterer makes my computer lag a lot. Since I'm running with 8GB of RAM, an Intel i5-6400 quad core CPU and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti MSI Gaming 4GB card, having this computer lag is scary because it means that it'll completely obliterate systems with lower power.

Also, I am not using the latest scatterer with all of the EVE changes, I'm using version 0.0256.

To illustrate the planetary situation - the Sun is stripped of it's corona and lens flare and scaled down significantly so that it can barely be seen, then two stars are placed around it in a binary configuration. This means a total of three stars.

Could the lag be an overload of calculations that Scatterer has to perform for the atmospheres?

Edited by The White Guardian

7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

@blackrack how dependent is Scatterer on the sun in KSP? The thing is, I'm making a Kopernicus pack that adds a binary star system but adding Scatterer makes my computer lag a lot. Since I'm running with 8GB of RAM, an Intel i5-6400 quad core CPU and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti MSI Gaming 4GB card, having this computer lag is scary because it means that it'll completely obliterate systems with lower power.

Also, I am not using the latest scatterer with all of the EVE changes, I'm using version 0.0256.

To illustrate the planetary situation - the Sun is stripped of it's corona and lens flare and scaled down significantly so that it can barely be seen, then two stars are placed around it in a binary configuration. This means a total of three stars.

Could the lag be an overload of calculations that Scatterer has to perform for the atmospheres?

scatterer is extremely dependent on the sun. Lag should NOT be happening on your rig at all. Go take a look at Kerbol Star sytem planet pack... it has several stars and uses scatterer.. smooth as butter.

make sure your sun cfg is correct, using the correct names and what not...

if you havent made the required changes to the cfgs then you will experience an almost unplayable game

@blackrack would it be possible to make the "integrate effects with EVE clouds" option a per planet type of thing as opposed to a blanket effect? Some planets just will not cooperate when it comes to volumetric clouds.. depending on the .half files available, some clouds, when transitioning color on the terminator, get WAY over saturated with color, but lowering the value in the GUI just causes the clouds to be brown or black. This is even the case with default scatterer, most prevalent on Laythe. I have basically given up at this point and would really love to be able to disable the effect on individual bodies. 

EDIT: one more thing, i noticed that with the eve integration, I can no longer change the color of the clouds in scaled space. The atmosphere color seems dictate the color of the clouds. changing the RGBA values in the EVE have zero effect even after restarting. I used to have a 2 tone cloud set up on EVE but it looks like ill have to settle for a monotone purple cloud layer.

I love this update but i hate it too lol... growing pains blow

Edited by Galileo

On 2/1/2017 at 10:19 PM, The White Guardian said:

Anything weird in the log? Are errors being spammed? In the last version, you can set the body that acts as the sun separately for each planet.

23 hours ago, Galileo said:

scatterer is extremely dependent on the sun. Lag should NOT be happening on your rig at all. Go take a look at Kerbol Star sytem planet pack... it has several stars and uses scatterer.. smooth as butter.

make sure your sun cfg is correct, using the correct names and what not...

if you havent made the required changes to the cfgs then you will experience an almost unplayable game

@blackrack would it be possible to make the "integrate effects with EVE clouds" option a per planet type of thing as opposed to a blanket effect? Some planets just will not cooperate when it comes to volumetric clouds.. depending on the .half files available, some clouds, when transitioning color on the terminator, get WAY over saturated with color, but lowering the value in the GUI just causes the clouds to be brown or black. This is even the case with default scatterer, most prevalent on Laythe. I have basically given up at this point and would really love to be able to disable the effect on individual bodies. 

EDIT: one more thing, i noticed that with the eve integration, I can no longer change the color of the clouds in scaled space. The atmosphere color seems dictate the color of the clouds. changing the RGBA values in the EVE have zero effect even after restarting. I used to have a 2 tone cloud set up on EVE but it looks like ill have to settle for a monotone purple cloud layer.

I love this update but i hate it too lol... growing pains blow

Tell me about it, I'm knee deep in growing pains right now...

Anyway, for the volumetrics, I think it would be better to have an option to have scattering and skyIrradiance settings also, technically if you match these settings to those of the 2d clouds, both should be consistent in color. I tried it this way but thought the performance hit wasn't worth it and the visuals were good enough with just extinction on the volumetrics, I guess not in all cases.

For the clouds color, it all depends on how much the multipliers are set to, really, any multiplier set too high will overpower the original cloud color which is normal. A high color multiplier will make any clouds look white, high scattering multiplier will make it take the atmosphere color and so on...