blackrack

[WIP][1.2.2] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (v0.0300 - 22/01/2017)

5892 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Use the config tool linked in the OP

Thank you! I'm blind as usual!

Hi there!

I love Scatterer! But lately, as talked about in this thread, it seems to be causing huge amounts of lag on and around Mun and Minmus (and possibly other moons). The thing is, I can't for the life of me see why it would; Scatterer doesn't do anything unless there's an atmosphere/water present... does it?

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Hi there!

I love Scatterer! But lately, as talked about in this thread, it seems to be causing huge amounts of lag on and around Mun and Minmus (and possibly other moons). The thing is, I can't for the life of me see why it would; Scatterer doesn't do anything unless there's an atmosphere/water present... does it?

Nope, scatterer doesn't do anything at all with vacuum bodies. Have you tried running ksp with ONLY scatterer installed? 

Try that and see if the issue persists 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

Nope, scatterer doesn't do anything at all with vacuum bodies. Have you tried running ksp with ONLY scatterer installed? 

Try that and see if the issue persists 

Well, RoverDude says removing RealPlumes, Scatterer, and Distant Object Enhancement, fixed it... I'll give it a shot though. Well, not "only" scatterer, but out of my visual mods, I'll remove everything else.

Well, for me at least, removing all visual mods made no difference whatsoever. I'm not surprised though. I think most people don't understand what the Physics Max Delta setting actually does. I have it set at 0.02, and I get at least 40 FPS even with full-bore graphics mods installed... just low physics rates in the 60% range.

33 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Well, for me at least, removing all visual mods made no difference whatsoever. I'm not surprised though. I think most people don't understand what the Physics Max Delta setting actually does. I have it set at 0.02, and I get at least 40 FPS even with full-bore graphics mods installed... just low physics rates in the 60% range.

So what you are saying is scatterer isn't the reason for your performance on mun and Minmus?

45 minutes ago, Galileo said:

So what you are saying is scatterer isn't the reason for your performance on mun and Minmus?

Correct. Very tiny effect, maybe when Kerbin is visible, but otherwise it isn't hurting anything.

On 3/16/2017 at 6:49 PM, HampstersINspace said:

I'm not  on Linux I'm on windows.

would it be the same thing on windows?

Well I tried to use SVE and SVT and SVE  uses scatter to make foggyness and stuff. There was an Error in SVT but that should be 99% unretated as after fixing those. Clouds where not working and the error i posted made me suspicious because you can see it does not use GameData (link) as it should instead useing the real folder name. That hunch made me remove the symlink to GameDataStock and i tried it and it worked.

I don't know how links in Windows work, maybe it will help if you use them at all. Also i did not try hardlinking. Also no idea if this is even possible in Windows. :(

Hope this helps a bit

-{Ignore this}-

Edited by Gleisix

Hey Blackrack, you did say you liked screen shots. Nicely timed utility launch just as the sun is setting.

umY0wiU.png

zEBEEFT.png

Thank you so much!

Does anyone know how to scale down the size of the sun "surface" with Kopernicus? When Kopernicus is installed the sun's "surface" view when the sunflare is blocked by a craft is much bigger than it should be. It is so big I can see it outside of the sunflare, just curious if there is a way to disable this feature or to scale it down.

Example

Fixed using SVT sun configs!

Edited by Gleisix
Fixed

On 4/12/2015 at 3:37 AM, blackrack said:

-RSS/rescale mods might not actually work and may have several issues.

The only issue I am encountering when playing on a 10x rescale of GPP is a strange fuzzy blue line on the horizon when at low altitude, 1-2km, any higher and its completely gone.  Is there any way to adjust the config to fix this?

b8ECqWd.png

I have a question.

Does this mod conflict in any way with Realistic Athmospheres? It changes the height and thickness from atmospheres.

I think that maybe Scatterer shows it`s effects outside of a atmosphere still when it is lowered down by Realistic Atmospheres and things like that.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Smarti

1 hour ago, Smarti said:

I have a question.

Does this mod conflict in any way with Realistic Athmospheres? It changes the height and thickness from atmospheres.

I think that maybe Scatterer shows it`s effects outside of a atmosphere still when it is lowered down by Realistic Atmospheres and things like that.

Thanks a lot.

Scatterer provides just aesthetics. It doesn't change anything with how atmospheres behave. So yes, scatterer will work fine with realistic atmospheres

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Scatterer provides just aesthetics. It doesn't change anything with how atmospheres behave. So yes, scatterer will work fine with realistic atmospheres

Thanks for the fast answer. I know it`s just aesthetics, but thought that maybe the Scatterer atmospheric visuals are "not in place" with the changes of Realistic Atmospheres.

Just now, Smarti said:

Thanks for the fast answer. I know it`s just aesthetics, but thought that maybe the Scatterer atmospheric visuals are "not in place" with the changes of Realistic Atmospheres.

Oh I see. Yeah the default scatterer cfgs weren't developed with realistic atmospheres in mind.  You will have to edit the cfgs for them to accurately depict the atmospheres in RA.

On 3/18/2017 at 9:03 PM, FirroSeranel said:

Hi there!

Do you have Kopernicus installed also? Because that's what was causing a very similar issue for me. Definitely wasn't scatterer.