blackrack

[WIP][1.2.2] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (v0.0300 - 22/01/2017)

5895 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Use the config tool linked in the OP

Thank you! I'm blind as usual!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!

I love Scatterer! But lately, as talked about in this thread, it seems to be causing huge amounts of lag on and around Mun and Minmus (and possibly other moons). The thing is, I can't for the life of me see why it would; Scatterer doesn't do anything unless there's an atmosphere/water present... does it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Hi there!

I love Scatterer! But lately, as talked about in this thread, it seems to be causing huge amounts of lag on and around Mun and Minmus (and possibly other moons). The thing is, I can't for the life of me see why it would; Scatterer doesn't do anything unless there's an atmosphere/water present... does it?

Nope, scatterer doesn't do anything at all with vacuum bodies. Have you tried running ksp with ONLY scatterer installed? 

Try that and see if the issue persists 

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Galileo said:

Nope, scatterer doesn't do anything at all with vacuum bodies. Have you tried running ksp with ONLY scatterer installed? 

Try that and see if the issue persists 

 

Well, RoverDude says removing RealPlumes, Scatterer, and Distant Object Enhancement, fixed it... I'll give it a shot though. Well, not "only" scatterer, but out of my visual mods, I'll remove everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for me at least, removing all visual mods made no difference whatsoever. I'm not surprised though. I think most people don't understand what the Physics Max Delta setting actually does. I have it set at 0.02, and I get at least 40 FPS even with full-bore graphics mods installed... just low physics rates in the 60% range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Well, for me at least, removing all visual mods made no difference whatsoever. I'm not surprised though. I think most people don't understand what the Physics Max Delta setting actually does. I have it set at 0.02, and I get at least 40 FPS even with full-bore graphics mods installed... just low physics rates in the 60% range.

So what you are saying is scatterer isn't the reason for your performance on mun and Minmus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Galileo said:

So what you are saying is scatterer isn't the reason for your performance on mun and Minmus?

Correct. Very tiny effect, maybe when Kerbin is visible, but otherwise it isn't hurting anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 6:49 PM, HampstersINspace said:

I'm not  on Linux I'm on windows.

would it be the same thing on windows?

Well I tried to use SVE and SVT and SVE  uses scatter to make foggyness and stuff. There was an Error in SVT but that should be 99% unretated as after fixing those. Clouds where not working and the error i posted made me suspicious because you can see it does not use GameData (link) as it should instead useing the real folder name. That hunch made me remove the symlink to GameDataStock and i tried it and it worked.

I don't know how links in Windows work, maybe it will help if you use them at all. Also i did not try hardlinking. Also no idea if this is even possible in Windows. :(

Hope this helps a bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

-{Ignore this}-

Edited by Gleisix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Blackrack, you did say you liked screen shots. Nicely timed utility launch just as the sun is setting.

umY0wiU.png

 

zEBEEFT.png

Thank you so much!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know how to scale down the size of the sun "surface" with Kopernicus? When Kopernicus is installed the sun's "surface" view when the sunflare is blocked by a craft is much bigger than it should be. It is so big I can see it outside of the sunflare, just curious if there is a way to disable this feature or to scale it down.

Example

 

Fixed using SVT sun configs!

Edited by Gleisix
Fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2015 at 3:37 AM, blackrack said:

 

-RSS/rescale mods might not actually work and may have several issues.

 

The only issue I am encountering when playing on a 10x rescale of GPP is a strange fuzzy blue line on the horizon when at low altitude, 1-2km, any higher and its completely gone.  Is there any way to adjust the config to fix this?

b8ECqWd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question.

Does this mod conflict in any way with Realistic Athmospheres? It changes the height and thickness from atmospheres.

I think that maybe Scatterer shows it`s effects outside of a atmosphere still when it is lowered down by Realistic Atmospheres and things like that.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Smarti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smarti said:

I have a question.

Does this mod conflict in any way with Realistic Athmospheres? It changes the height and thickness from atmospheres.

I think that maybe Scatterer shows it`s effects outside of a atmosphere still when it is lowered down by Realistic Atmospheres and things like that.

Thanks a lot.

Scatterer provides just aesthetics. It doesn't change anything with how atmospheres behave. So yes, scatterer will work fine with realistic atmospheres

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Scatterer provides just aesthetics. It doesn't change anything with how atmospheres behave. So yes, scatterer will work fine with realistic atmospheres

Thanks for the fast answer. I know it`s just aesthetics, but thought that maybe the Scatterer atmospheric visuals are "not in place" with the changes of Realistic Atmospheres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smarti said:

Thanks for the fast answer. I know it`s just aesthetics, but thought that maybe the Scatterer atmospheric visuals are "not in place" with the changes of Realistic Atmospheres.

Oh I see. Yeah the default scatterer cfgs weren't developed with realistic atmospheres in mind.  You will have to edit the cfgs for them to accurately depict the atmospheres in RA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 9:03 PM, FirroSeranel said:

Hi there!

I love Scatterer! But lately, as talked about in this thread, it seems to be causing huge amounts of lag on and around Mun and Minmus (and possibly other moons). The thing is, I can't for the life of me see why it would; Scatterer doesn't do anything unless there's an atmosphere/water present... does it?

Do you have Kopernicus installed also? Because that's what was causing a very similar issue for me. Definitely wasn't scatterer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting some issues unique to this planet. I have an inkling it is Scatterer causing this, but I also have EVE.

 

7gKje70.jpg

 

It's some sort of white, covering texture - it's deeply confusing me, since no amount of tinkering, re-making and adjusting of the atmosphere resolves this issue. Then again, I could be overthinking this. It may be a scatterer issue, a config issue, or the planet's config - I don't know, there are too many configs!

Any help would be appreciated. If you need configs, just ask and I'll send the necessary ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

It's some sort of white, covering texture

I see clouds, and I see sunlight reflecting off the surface of the planet. I don't see any abnormal whiteness. It's probably the sun glint you don't understand. Not sure if that's a texture issue or config issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I see clouds, and I see sunlight reflecting off the surface of the planet. I don't see any abnormal whiteness. It's probably the sun glint you don't understand. Not sure if that's a texture issue or config issue. 

I've narrowed the search for the issue down a little. After removing the planet from the Scatterer configs, the issue goes away. Although that's not what I want, this is what the planet should look like:

ISKmjaV.jpg

 

However in the orbital view it's an entirely different story, which, for some reason, only occurs for this planet in particular.

DtSYjJQ.jpg

As you can see, the terrain and oceans are not visible. It's as if a blanket of white has been layered over the planet. I'll mess with some of the post-processing and reflectiveness settings, but both this scatterer config and another planets' config are identical (apart from the atmosphere colour).

 

EDIT: I managed to resolve this by setting up a config:

@Body[Niebos]
    {
        useOnDemand = false
    }

 

Edited by Gameslinx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now