[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

3 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

I've rescaled it up to rss sized ones and I still have this huge yellow sunflare on top the scatterer one, and when I'm far away from the sun the scatterer one fades (as it should) and the stock remains pretty much the same size which means that any rescale of the flare wouldn't really help

You can also disable the kopernicus sun flare. 

I forget the parameter that need to be changed but it's like SunFlareLenseColor = 1,1,1,1

it needs to be changed to 0,0,0,0

but scaling the sunflares should work. 

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

You can also disable the kopernicus sun flare. 

I forget the parameter that need to be changed but it's like SunFlareLenseColor = 1,1,1,1

it needs to be changed to 0,0,0,0

but scaling the sunflares should work. 

I have SVT installed and it's already 0,0,0,0:/ I remember that on my previous install it worked fine so I will try to make a clean install

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

This is the config file:

*snip*

(Ignore the discolouring, it's because Olu'um has a " ' " in its name)

I think it's sorted now. Not seen the issue for ages! Thank you :) 

Try this:

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[Scatterer]:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    @Body[Niebos,Sonus,Olu'um,Telos,Butai,Volux,Scorch]
    {
		useOnDemand = false
    }
}

8 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Try this:

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[Scatterer]:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    @Body[Niebos,Sonus,Olu'um,Telos,Butai,Volux,Scorch]
    {
		useOnDemand = false
    }
}

That's a lot nicer to look at. Thank you :) 

I've got a weird bug that occasionally seems to happen to scatterer.  For no apparent reason, the sky and ocean disappears on Kerbin.

screenshot9_zpsdi0zirlp.png~original

At first I thought this was connected to Eclipses, because I first noticed it after an eclipse at the space center, but I turned off the Eclipse setting in scatterer, and also it seems to happen more randomly then that.  I can "fix" it by reinstalling scatterer, but it'll just happen again later.  Is there a simpler or more permanent fix I'm missing?

here's the output log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcstvdgyx5xi4kv/output_log.txt?dl=0

3 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I've got a weird bug that occasionally seems to happen to scatterer.  For no apparent reason, the sky and ocean disappears on Kerbin.

<snip>

At first I thought this was connected to Eclipses, because I first noticed it after an eclipse at the space center, but I turned off the Eclipse setting in scatterer, and also it seems to happen more randomly then that.  I can "fix" it by reinstalling scatterer, but it'll just happen again later.  Is there a simpler or more permanent fix I'm missing?

here's the output log:

Have you tried changing the scene and then coming back to the KSC view?

7 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I've seen this but does it actually affect the flight scene? I've never seen it happen while in flight so I've just shrugged and continued on. I swap between Scatterer configs often tho so maybe that helps keep the problem at bay for me

On 09/03/2017 at 10:05 PM, Ginlucks said:

Hi all. There is a way to reduce red strip on kerbin between night and day when you look it from far or in the map?  It  is beautiful but it doesnt seem so realistic :)

Just tweak the cloudColorMultiplier from the scatterer UI or disable EVE cloud integration from main menu.

On 11/03/2017 at 8:58 PM, NeoFatalis said:

When I zoom out there's a big block where scatterer is applied and the rest has no effects , is it normal? I am using 6.4 rescale so maybe it is because of that?

normally, this box surrounds the camera and you can never have this viewpoint of it. Are you using any mods that affect camera position?

On 13/03/2017 at 4:32 AM, OtterOfPower said:
  • Okay i dont know why but its just not working right. Its makes the game look foggy and there are no clouds

That's just how it's supposed to look and this mod doesn't do clouds.

On 13/03/2017 at 1:17 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Default settings on a new game with lots of mods.

I'm getting the following nullrefs when entering a game:

[Scatterer] Volumetric clouds error on planet: KerbinSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at scatterer.SkyNode.mapEVEvolumetrics () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[Scatterer] Volumetric clouds error on planet: KerbinSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at scatterer.SkyNode.mapEVEvolumetrics () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

and this when entering the tracking station:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at scatterer.updateAtCameraRythm.OnPreCull () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Here is the full log:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/trrdrhl5dbc6h9r/scattererErrors.zip?dl=0

I can't tell what's wrong from the log but maybe you're using one of the early versions of scatterer with EVE cloud integration or a slightly odler version of EVE. or maybe the config for the clouds is messed up somehow.

On 14/03/2017 at 5:56 AM, Galahir950 said:

I read over and tried it that several times over the past few days, but I am still confused as of what to do. I am sorry that I am having trouble parsing it and figuring out what to do. Is it a value or a range of values it is supposed to be? Is there any way to modify and test it without going back to the menu every time? I am sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

Just move the bias up a bit until the artifacts go away, the trick is to make the artifacts go away without compromising shadow precision too much.

On 15/03/2017 at 3:51 AM, JonathanPerregaux said:

I just encountered this after adding Near Future MK4 space plane parts. As soon as the KSC appeared, my memory was sucked dry (16 GB total).

I naturally thought it was MK4 Space Plane, but when I removed it the problem continued. I then bust out a hammer and eliminated all my mods and put them back singly until I identified Scatterer as a suspect. But then I came here and saw the Sigma Binary thing and tried removing just that. Bingo. No more crazy memory leak.

I did take care not to needlessly recopy Module Manager (which is on 2.7.5 for me). But I did replace Community Resource Pack, B9 Part Switch, and Fire Spitter. Aside from that, I'm a little baffled by what changed.

On 14/03/2017 at 11:26 PM, Cooly568 said:

Getting somewhat the same thing too. Boot game up with bunch of mods, game lags and memory leaks up to 12GB.

Did a bit of digging, for me at least, it was Sigma Binary.

Does just installing sigma binary cause this issue or is there a specific way to configure it or use it that causes this? What does sigma binary do exactly?

On 15/03/2017 at 6:34 PM, Psychokiller1888 said:

Hi there!

Thank you so much for this wonderfull mod. Been using it now since quite a while.... I have this problem also since over a year, and I thought, hey, I'm surely not the only one. This problem appears on many of my computers, not only one configuration does it. I'm not really sure it is scatterer that does it, so if it doesn't please apologies me. The water level, usually when returning to KSC, is too high. Or technically not even the water level, but somehow the world ball must shrink in diameter.... And sometimes it's worse, sometimes there's no building visible at all... Notice that my test flag pointer is way too high also, looks like the z coordinate has moved away. I would need to go to the other side check if it's a movement or a world diameter shrink.......

By zooming in and rotate the camera, I can go under that water layer:

I'm terribly sorry if I got the wrong impression, if it's not scatterer that does it... I'm using Stock Visual Enhancements, Sotck Visual Terrain, Environmental Visual Enhancement, Kopernicus, Planet Shine along with other, but logically these are the ones that can be in fault? Thanks to anyone pointing me to the correct place

EDIT

Found someone else that has the same issue: 

Lots of people have this issue, just change scenes. It's on my list to fix but I can't reproduce it reliably and haven't looked at it enough yet.

On 24/03/2017 at 1:10 PM, eberkain said:

The only issue I am encountering when playing on a 10x rescale of GPP is a strange fuzzy blue line on the horizon when at low altitude, 1-2km, any higher and its completely gone.  Is there any way to adjust the config to fix this?

I don't know, never seen this. Did you manage to get rid of it?

On 03/04/2017 at 9:37 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

here's the output log:

Just change scenes for now and it should fix itself, no idea what causes it.

Edited by blackrack

43 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I don't know, never seen this. Did you manage to get rid of it?

30 minutes ago, eberkain said:

No, just living with it.   I will try a minimal install and see if I still get it.  

Assuming this was on Gael, Gael uses an experimentalAtmoScale of 1.6, at a 10x sized Gael that atmospheric stretch will become quite pronounced. Could there be an issue where the very low part of the scatterer effect at the 0km level is being rendered above the ground?

Also Gael has a [0] configPoint at 200m consisting of the following:

Item
{
	altitude = 200
	skyAlpha = 0.8
	skyExposure = 0
	skyRimExposure = 0.25
	postProcessAlpha = 0.5
	postProcessDepth = 0.08
	postProcessExposure = 0.2
	skyExtinctionMultiplier = 2
	skyExtinctionTint = 1
	skyextinctionRimFade = 0
	skyextinctionGroundFade = 0
	openglThreshold = 10
	edgeThreshold = 0.1
	viewdirOffset = 0.001
	_Post_Extinction_Tint = 1
	postExtinctionMultiplier = 0.9
	_GlobalOceanAlpha = 1
	_extinctionScatterIntensity = 1
}

Does anything in there look suspect to you, @blackrack?

Should the lowest altitude of the first configPoint always be 0m?

Edited by Poodmund

Hey, @blackrack, glad to see you're back :)

I pretty much need to include @Galileo here too, as I'm pretty sure this is an interface between SVE and scatterer.

I was wondering if you saw the post I made here. I have more info about it, and I'm pretty sure it's related to the disappearing clouds.

The magic altitude that causes this is 160km. If I'm in map view when my craft ascends past 160km, when I return to craft view I get the effect you see in my screenshot in the linked post. However, if I am in craft view when I ascend past 160km, then it works as it's supposed to. When I do get this effect, it's necessary for me to leave the craft and go back to the KSC to make it go away.

The disappearing clouds seems to be related to using the KAC jump to ship functionality. When I use KAC to jump to ship from the KSC, if the craft is above 160km I end up with no clouds. However, if I use the tracking station to get to the craft, the clouds are there. I'm mostly bringing this up because the altitudes are the same, even if the mechanic is different.

Latest KSP, up to date linux with up to date nvidia drivers.

It's more of an annoyance than anything since I now have complete workarounds for all the things I mention here, but I thought you might like to know.

Oh, and a few posts before the one I link I left a couple of eye-candies for you. Scatterer makes the overall experience of KSP sooooo much better. Has no material effect on the game, but has a huge one on the experience of playing the game. Thanks!

Hope you're having a good evening!

Edited by stratvox
'cause I'm dumb and hit submit too early

2 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Hey, @blackrack, glad to see you're back :)

I pretty much need to include @Galileo here too, as I'm pretty sure this is an interface between SVE and scatterer.

I was wondering if you saw the post I made here. I have more info about it, and I'm pretty sure it's related to the disappearing clouds.

The magic altitude that causes this is 160km. If I'm in map view when my craft ascends past 160km, when I return to craft view I get the effect you see in my screenshot in the linked post.

The disappearing clouds seems to be related to using the KAC jump to ship functionality. When I use KAC to jump to ship from the KSC, if the craft is above 160km I end up with no clouds. However, if I use the tracking station to get to the craft, the clouds are there. I'm mostly bringing this up because the altitudes are the same, even if the mechanic is different.

Latest KSP, up to date linux with up to date nvidia drivers.

It's more of an annoyance than anything since I know have complete workarounds for all the things I mention here, but I thought you might like to know.

Oh, and a few posts before the one I link I left a couple of eye-candies for you. Thanks again for this, it makes the overall experience sooooo much better.

Hope you're having a good evening!

This just happens sometimes. I don't know what causes it. A scene change or two typically fixes the issue. 

Just now, Galileo said:

This just happens sometimes. I don't know what causes it. A scene change or two typically fixes the issue. 

Are you talking about the disappearing cloud cover from orbit, or the weird two blue balls that you see in the screenshot I left in my OP?

Are you talking about the disappearing cloud cover from orbit, or the weird two blue balls that you see in the screenshot I left in my OP?

The blue sphere things. As for the clouds disappearing, I will have to go check SVE and see if the setting are correct. I think I know what happened

Just now, Galileo said:

The blue sphere things. As for the clouds disappearing, I will have to go check SVE and see if the setting are correct. I think I know what happened

Yeah, once I bail out to the KSC it fixes itself. As for SVE, I was thinking there might be something slightly different about how KAC calls to launch the craft view of a vessel that is contributing to that... but that's beyond my ken :)

Yeah, once I bail out to the KSC it fixes itself. As for SVE, I was thinking there might be something slightly different about how KAC calls to launch the craft view of a vessel that is contributing to that... but that's beyond my ken :)

No I have seen this issue before and it was my fault. I may have made the same damn mistake

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

No I have seen this issue before and it was my fault. I may have made the same damn mistake

Heh, if I had and/or got a dime every time I made the same damn mistake I wouldn't have to work any more.

21 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Heh, if I had and/or got a dime every time I made the same damn mistake I wouldn't have to work any more.

Do you, by chance, disable the scatterer eclipses? 

If so, enable them at the main menu, and get your ship above 160km. See if that gives you clouds at that altitude. 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, stratvox said:

Nope, it's pretty much all default except for the square root thing.

Ok.. well then, if that's the case I'll have to do some investigating because that rules out what I thought was wrong. Can you send me a screenshot of your gamedata folder?

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Ok.. well then, if that's the case I'll have to do some investigating because that rules out what I thought was wrong. Can you send me a screenshot of your gamedata folder?

0Anx7jN.png

Or, if you're old school like me :)

jack@xxxxxxxx:~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData$ ls -al
total 4312
drwxrwxr-x 26 jack jack    4096 Mar 11 19:52 .
drwxrwxr-x 18 jack jack    4096 Apr  4 19:32 ..
drwxrwxr-x  5 jack jack    4096 Dec 31 14:12 Chatterer
drwxrwxr-x  5 jack jack    4096 Feb  2 03:33 DistantObject
-rwxrwxr-x  1 jack jack    6148 Jan 15 16:55 .DS_Store
drwxrwxr-x  2 jack jack    4096 Nov  3 12:23 EngineLight
drwxrwxr-x  3 jack jack    4096 Feb  2 03:33 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
drwxrwxr-x  5 jack jack    4096 Mar  5 19:10 EVAEnhancementsContinued
drwxrwxr-x  3 jack jack    4096 Feb  2 03:33 jool_rings
drwxrwxr-x  5 jack jack    4096 Dec 13 15:52 JSI
drwxrwxr-x  5 jack jack    4096 Jan 15 15:00 KerbalAlarmClock
drwx------  7 jack jack    4096 Apr  4 19:31 KerbalEngineer
drwxrwxr-x  4 jack jack    4096 Apr  6  2016 Kopernicus
-rw-rw-r--  1 jack jack 2482827 Mar 11 19:55 kspmods.tgz
drwxrwxr-x  2 jack jack    4096 Oct 27 12:02 ModularFlightIntegrator
-rw-rw-r--  1 jack jack   74752 Dec  7 19:44 ModuleManager.2.7.5.dll
-rw-rw-r--  1 jack jack 1537740 Apr  4 19:31 ModuleManager.ConfigCache
-rw-rw-r--  1 jack jack  152362 Apr  4 19:31 ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
-rw-rw-r--  1 jack jack    8506 Apr  4 19:31 ModuleManager.Physics
-rw-rw-r--  1 jack jack   27686 Apr  4 19:31 ModuleManager.TechTree
drwx------  3 jack jack    4096 Dec 19 03:51 NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicatorCE
drwx------  5 jack jack    4096 Oct  6 23:14 PlanetShine
drwx------  3 jack jack    4096 Dec 18 17:51 PreciseNode
drwxrwxr-x  9 jack jack    4096 Jan  6 18:21 RealPlume
drwxrwxr-x 43 jack jack    4096 Jan  6 18:21 RealPlume-Stock
drwxrwxr-x  4 jack jack    4096 Feb  2 03:35 scatterer
drwxrwxr-x  2 jack jack    4096 Jan  6 18:21 SmokeScreen
drwxrwxr-x 17 jack jack    4096 Jan 15 17:03 Squad
drwxrwxr-x  3 jack jack    4096 Feb  2 03:33 StockVisualEnhancements
drwx------  5 jack jack    4096 Oct  6 23:09 SurfaceLights
drwxrwxr-x 11 jack jack    4096 Nov  9 11:53 SVEKopernicus
drwxrwxr-x  8 jack jack    4096 Jan 21 16:56 TextureReplacer
drwx------  4 jack jack    4096 Dec 19 03:52 TransferWindowPlanner

By my lights, that's a lot of mods. Got a new computer. It helps.

Oh, one other thing. The city lights always work.

Edited by stratvox