[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 hours ago, hschembri said:

Does anyone know what hardware specs one needs to get this thing running smoothly? My rig has the following specs:

GTX 4GB 970

24GB RAM

Core i7

SSD 500GB

My system can barely cope with KSP running this addon. I checked the memory and it is using a whopping 10GB. In conjunction with this add on i am using SVE at High Res. Everything runs smoothly without scatterer.

You need to revert to the version of scatterer included with SVE. The new version and SVE have a compatibility issue. @Galileo is working to deal with them in SVE; hopefully he'll have it out soon.

11 minutes ago, hschembri said:

@stratvox OK. I am downloading it through CKAN. I will also try solution by installing it manually and see what happens.

There is a copy of scatterer in the zip file with SVE in it. Use that one; it's the version he used when he developed the last release of SVE and it is guaranteed compatible. Using CKAN will simply get the latest one again, and you will still have the compatibility issue.

@blackrack (I'm totally about to say this wrong) but did you get rid of that "near plane clip" something er other, setting?

It no longer appears in the GUI or the settings file. And placing in the value I had in my old settings file didn't appear to do anything. I like to scale that back for cinematics / close ups, so the camera wouldn't clip through so much. Either way, not a huge deal. But I wanted to ask just the same.

3 hours ago, hschembri said:

Does anyone know what hardware specs one needs to get this thing running smoothly? My rig has the following specs:

GTX 4GB 970

24GB RAM

Core i7

SSD 500GB

My system can barely cope with KSP running this addon. I checked the memory and it is using a whopping 10GB. In conjunction with this add on i am using SVE at High Res. Everything runs smoothly without scatterer.

That should be fine :) I ran a 970 with my i7 6700k for a while and had no problems.

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

That should be fine :) I ran a 970 with my i7 6700k for a while and had no problems.

I can also back that up. I run Scatterer in addition to over 100 other mods. With videos up on YouTube to prove I can see 30-60 fps. I tend to hover around 11-13gb of ram used.

I7 4790k

GTX 970 - 4GB

32GB of ram

500GB SSD

12 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I can also back that up. I run Scatterer in addition to over 100 other mods. With videos up on YouTube to prove I can see 30-60 fps. I tend to hover around 11-13gb of ram used.

I7 4790k

GTX 970 - 4GB

32GB of ram

500GB SSD

Alas, I've only got 16GB of ram in my system :rolleyes: - also it's DDR3-1600... I should probably upgrade that considering my CPU is an i7-6700k and I'm running a GTX 1070 now (The only reason I haven't is because I'd need to replace my MoBo as well since it doesn't support higher speed RAM)...

13 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Alas, I've only got 16GB of ram in my system :rolleyes: - also it's DDR3-1600... I should probably upgrade that considering my CPU is an i7-6700k and I'm running a GTX 1070 now (The only reason I haven't is because I'd need to replace my MoBo as well since it doesn't support higher speed RAM)...

Sorry for the derail guys

Did you notice enough difference in the jump to the 1070? Or do you wish you'd gone for the 1080? I'm still using DDR3 as well but 1866 and I'm happy with it. (I can still always OC if I get board though :) - GSkill Trident X)

45 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Did you notice enough difference in the jump to the 1070? Or do you wish you'd gone for the 1080? I'm still using DDR3 as well but 1866 and I'm happy with it. (I can still always OC if I get board though :) - GSkill Trident X)

The 1070 is incredible - I'm able to stream 60fps at 720p on twitch, with the Division on ultra (Though it could be tied to my using a 6700k). It's been said that there's an 80% performance jump from the 970 to the 1070 (Both of those cards are the exact ones I have. I can relate. Do keep in mind though that he's relating various FPS games, KSP is a bit different). In all honesty I didn't get the 1080 because I didn't think I needed it, and from the performance that I have now I was right that the 1070 was plenty. If you want to use 4k then get the 1080 xD If not imo the 1070 is your best choice.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

5 hours ago, V8jester said:

@blackrack (I'm totally about to say this wrong) but did you get rid of that "near plane clip" something er other, setting?

It no longer appears in the GUI or the settings file. And placing in the value I had in my old settings file didn't appear to do anything. I like to scale that back for cinematics / close ups, so the camera wouldn't clip through so much. Either way, not a huge deal. But I wanted to ask just the same.

I did, it is no longer needed as the ocean no longer clips randomly with the coast (which it was supposed to fix). It was also messing with re-entry effects so I got rid of it. Essentially it is now just leaving the default values of the game untouched, but if you really want it back I can put it as an optional parameter in config files or w/e.

4 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

4 hours ago, V8jester said:

I don't know what you guys do, but I'm perfectly happy with a gtx 780 and 8gb of RAM, in fact, I'm beyond happy with the GPU actually, it literally can do anything.

Edited by blackrack

24 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I did, it is no longer needed as the ocean no longer clips randomly with the coast (which it was supposed to fix). It was also messing with re-entry effects so I got rid of it. Essentially it is now just leaving the default values of the game untouched, but if you really want it back I can put it as an optional parameter in config files or w/e.

I don't know what you guys do, but I'm perfectly happy with a gtx 780 and 8gb of RAM, in fact, I'm beyond happy with the GPU actually, it literally can do anything.

:o but can it stream in 1080p60? Lol

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Thanks @blackrack Well I will not complain one way or another. I personally would like to have it as it made it more predictable in SPH when building, as well as allowed me to get better close ups in my videos. But With all the improvements you've given us. I'm not complaining about a thing :) Really appreciate all the hard work man. Scatterer has really become 2nd to none around here.

I am getting a massive RAM leak which appears to be caused by scatterer whilst using stock visual enhancements. Anyone have any idea what might be causing it, and have any potential solutions?

(Filename:  Line: -1)

[Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Mun for Kerbin

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Minmus for Kerbin

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[Scatterer] Atmosphere config found for: Kerbin

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at scatterer.Manager.getDirectionToSun () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at scatterer.SkyNode.InitPostprocessMaterial (UnityEngine.Material mat) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at scatterer.SkyNode.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at scatterer.Manager.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

output_log.txt

Edited by Inflectrum

10 minutes ago, Inflectrum said:

I am getting a massive RAM leak which appears to be caused by scatterer whilst using stock visual enhancements. Anyone have any idea what might be causing it, and have any potential solutions?

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

output_log.txt

Please read the last 2 pages. This question has been answered multiple times. 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Arcadian Del Sol said:

Hang in there, man.

We know you're working hard on an update.

We appreciate it.

I have an update ready. I am just waiting for the black cloud fix blackrack is working on. The release will follow directly after

2 minutes ago, Identitools said:

Scatterer is eating all my sweet sweet 16gb of ram, disabling it solved my problems. Is someone else got this problem?

A few people have made this same observation. I hit 17GB last night on my 32GB system myself. It seems to have a memory leak the I believe @blackrack is aware of and I'm sure will tackle in due time. One of us just needs to go down to his dungeon and change his water and food bowls first :wink: