[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Hey, someone recommended to me that I might be able to create low visibility like conditions using Scatterer- however, after playing with the atmospheric settings, I really couldn't reduce the visibility at all. Does anyone know a way, or another mod, which I could use to do this in? Thanks
hqdefault.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gelodicus said:

Hey, someone recommended to me that I might be able to create low visibility like conditions using Scatterer- however, after playing with the atmospheric settings, I really couldn't reduce the visibility at all. Does anyone know a way, or another mod, which I could use to do this in? Thanks

maybe EVE volumetric clouds at really low altitude?

Edited by NeoFatalis

11 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

Hm........ *Breaks into unintelligible muttering* Well, at the equator where the KSC is I don't think ground fog would be present all that often but farther north or south that's an interesting idea.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

:L Stock ocean and Scatterer both? That's a pretty good system ya got there so it's probably not your hardware (idk if AMD vs intel makes any difference here, probably not)

Stock is at top settings, Scatterer at low ones, but it happens regardless of Scatterer.

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I could write a ModuleManager config to adjust that, but I can't guarantee anything.

Create a new file and put it in GameData and called it something, but make sure the extension is .cfg, and that you have ModuleManager and Kopernicus installed

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			fadeStart = 40000
			fadeEnd = 45000
		}
		@PQS
		{
			fadeStart = 45000
			fadeEnd = 55000
			deactivateAltitude = 75000
		}
	}
}

Will try, thanks.

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I could write a ModuleManager config to adjust that, but I can't guarantee anything.

Create a new file and put it in GameData and called it something, but make sure the extension is .cfg, and that you have ModuleManager and Kopernicus installed

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			fadeStart = 40000
			fadeEnd = 45000
		}
		@PQS
		{
			fadeStart = 45000
			fadeEnd = 55000
			deactivateAltitude = 75000
		}
	}
}

It works! :o

You need to publish this on Spacedock, it would save many people's games!

5 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Can I ask what your GPU is? I used to have this problem (Especially past a certain distance up) when I had an older PC.

For Blackrack:Do note that with my 1070 any body that has Scatterer oceans causes my GPU usage to jump up to around 98% in the preview... it drops to around 30% the moment I tab to scaled space or go to any other scene/body that doesn't have oceans :P It goes to around 80% with previous versions of Scatterer :P I'll have to turn off the ocean shaders though and see if it's really the cause, or if it's just the atmospheric effects.

I noticed that in the preview version if you have ocean and refractions by itself it's fine but when you add volumetric clouds the refractions cause a much higher performance impact. I think I know why and will try to fix it before releasing a new version.

6 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

It works! :o

You need to publish this on Spacedock, it would save many people's games!

There a whole thread filled with stuff like this. It the Module Manager Example thread. I would just post it there.

57 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

Did this on my good PC (currently on laptop), density of clouds needed to even come close to emulating the picture brought my 5790k and two 970's to about 12 fps

Currently restricted to a laptop with a mobile 770, so I'd prefer not to play the game one frame per hour flying approaches haha
I feel like visibility limiting shouldn't be too hard to do but there aren't any mods nor does it look like there have ever been for fog and low/vis etc..
There are a lot of mods for adding more instruments and easier flying but so far none to actually create a challenge for said mods :P

Just now, Galileo said:

There a whole thread filled with stuff like this. It the Module Manager Example thread. I would just post it there.

This is too important to be burried in that dusty archive alone. I'd make this a proper plugin and upload it on Spacedock and Curse.

48 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I noticed that in the preview version if you have ocean and refractions by itself it's fine but when you add volumetric clouds the refractions cause a much higher performance impact. I think I know why and will try to fix it before releasing a new version.

:0.0: I'll keep my fingers crossed then :) I was curious though, do you have any news on Layer2D compatibility? I doubt you've started work on that yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a simple fix...

Edited by Avera9eJoe

19 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

:0.0: I'll keep my fingers crossed then :) I was curious though, do you have any news on Layer2D compatibility? I doubt you've started work on that yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a simple fix...

I haven't yet but I plan to take care of it soon before I release a new version.

2 hours ago, Gelodicus said:

hqdefault.jpg

As suggested I used EVE clouds and scatterer to do this, If you enlarge the volumetric clouds by huge amounts and bring them down to the surface, you essentially get fog, I sped mine up to simulate wind, and then played with the ocean settings to get waves and foam

Edited by selfish_meme

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

As suggested I used EVE clouds and scatterer to do this, If you enlarge the volumetric clouds by huge amounts and bring them down to the surface, you essentially get fog, I sped mine up to simulate wind, and then played with the ocean settings to get waves and foam

4 hours ago, Gelodicus said:

Did this on my good PC (currently on laptop), density of clouds needed to even come close to emulating the picture brought my 5790k and two 970's to about 12 fps

Currently restricted to a laptop with a mobile 770, so I'd prefer not to play the game one frame per hour flying approaches haha
I feel like visibility limiting shouldn't be too hard to do but there aren't any mods nor does it look like there have ever been for fog and low/vis etc..
There are a lot of mods for adding more instruments and easier flying but so far none to actually create a challenge for said mods :P

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

Ocean settings? Am I missing something?

I am SO out of the loop after a year of absence ...

Scatterer not only does light scattering, but eclipses, lens flares and makes a very pretty ocean, above and below water (though until Blackrack gets the new version out, best to leave the ocean settings turned off, to avoid tileitis)

Edited by selfish_meme

@blackrack I just yesterday finally downloaded the more hidden version of scatterer from quite a few pages back. I am using it in a manner not consistent with the usage label on the side of the box. But it is working fantastically aside from the aforementioned squares. I just wanted to say. Yet again you have blown my mind with just how far you are able to take scatterer with each update. Every single time I think you've plateaued. You throw another delicious pie of awesomeness at our faces!

Thank you! 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, selfish_meme said:

<jaw drops> <jebs flies into my open mouth>

On 2017-6-7 at 6:35 PM, blackrack said:

I haven't yet but I plan to take care of it soon before I release a new version.

Looking forward to it. I've got the last general release in 1.3 with ocean shaders turned off, and ... it works :) 

Take your time and get it right. Thanks again for the awesome eye candy.

7 hours ago, stratvox said:

Looking forward to it. I've got the last general release in 1.3 with ocean shaders turned off, and ... it works :) 

Take your time and get it right. Thanks again for the awesome eye candy.

You saying that turning off ocean shaders is a temporary fix for the terrain starting to desolve and float?

4 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

You saying that turning off ocean shaders is a temporary fix for the terrain starting to desolve and float?

Yes turning off the ocean shader fixes the floating terrain tiles.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:15 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Layer2D? I am correct that you talking about non-volume glow layers on planets? Because as I know, glow disappears when integration with EVE clouds turned on. It would be awesome to have both glow and cloud integration!