[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

7 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I suspect a few people will ask where the version of scatterer came from I used - Page 241

Remember it's a "Preview" version - No complaining of issues and "No workie" nonsense :wink:

I just couldn't get enough of the new water shader implementation! So between that and Spanners SM Marine parts I've been having some fun.

Once I get GPP updated to include the next release of scatterer, I highly recommend taking a dive around Gael or Tellumo. :wink: lots of stuff to see under the waves.

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

**furiously looks for broken things to put in the oven**

If this works my marriage will be saved!

Ok, that was darker than I anticipated :D

Lol omg i was thinking the same thing. 

This is the most anticipated mod release of 2017, Can't wait to see how all of the planet packs look.

P.S. Why isn't this,distant object and planet shine a stock feature? this drives me nuts that stock ksp looks like N64. 

Well, because Squad does not want to change its minimum requirements to play the game. It wants to keep the players with crummy pcs and Macs playing. I assume for fear of loosing potential monies. 

Hi all, thanks again to blackrack for the stunning oceans.  

I have a little snag or should we say desire, could one of you fine scatterer familiar chaps tel;l me what I'd need to adjust to be able to see one end of my sub from the other, it's just on 100mtrs long and from the conning tower fwd is lost in the murk ( however the murk is cool  though normally ) image below

Spoiler

pkEMR7F.png

While I'm here is there a setting for how long the contact foam persists? It's fantastic now but that touch more would give us a wake   Any ideas?

And  something to add to the examples of scatterer being awesome

ps give us a ping if you want it spoilered

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
ps

17 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all, thanks again to blackrack for the stunning oceans.  

I have a little snag or should we say desire, could one of you fine scatterer familiar chaps tel;l me what I'd need to adjust to be able to see one end of my sub from the other, it's just on 100mtrs long and from the conning tower fwd is lost in the murk ( however the murk is cool  though normally ) image below

While I'm here is there a setting for how long the contact foam persists? It's fantastic now but that touch more would give us a wake   Any ideas?

And  something to add to the examples of scatterer being awesome

ps give us a ping if you want it spoilered

Press alt+f10, in the ocean tab there is a setting called transparency depth, set it to what you want. Values higher than 300 might break something.

Edite: The foam can't be turned into a wake for now, that's a bit more complicated.

Edited by blackrack

OK, I read a few pages back, and learned that the ocean shaders must be turned off to solve the "floating tiles" graphic glitch. In one post they said to delete the ocean shaders from the EVE /shaders folder, but my EVE doesn't have a /shaders folder. So I opened up the Scatterer settings window with ALT-F10 and ALT-F11, to turn them off. the problem is, I'm confused about the different settings windows. Using ALT-F10 and turning off ocean shaders does not change that setting in the ALT-F11 window. And if I change the settings in the ALT-F11 window, they are not saved on restart. Do I have a screwy install here?

5 minutes ago, RocketBlam said:

OK, I read a few pages back, and learned that the ocean shaders must be turned off to solve the "floating tiles" graphic glitch. In one post they said to delete the ocean shaders from the EVE /shaders folder, but my EVE doesn't have a /shaders folder. So I opened up the Scatterer settings window with ALT-F10 and ALT-F11, to turn them off. the problem is, I'm confused about the different settings windows. Using ALT-F10 and turning off ocean shaders does not change that setting in the ALT-F11 window. And if I change the settings in the ALT-F11 window, they are not saved on restart. Do I have a screwy install here?

Who ever said to remove shaders is wrong. You shouldnt remove them. To turn them off, do so in the scatterer main menu window that pops up. You don't have to alt+10  at all. Then restart your game. Turning them off in game isn't persistent and resets every time the game is launched. 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

Who ever said to remove shaders is wrong. You shouldnt remove them. To turn them off, do so in the scatterer main menu window that pops up. Then restart your game. Turning them off in game isn't persistent and resets every time the game is launched. 

That's what I don't get. If the setting change isn't persistent when you restart the game... how can I possibly change the settings and then restart the game to have them applied?

1 minute ago, Phineas Freak said:

@RocketBlam Do you have any visual mods installed? It is possible that they modify the basic Scatterer parameters and force the ocean shaders to be always enabled.

I'm using EVE and RSSVE on an RSS install. 

Yes, it's complicated. :)

Well...you should have mentioned it earlier. Anyway, in that case:

• I explicitly set that parameter to be enabled. You can modify that by opening the RSSVE_Scatterer_Global_Config file and setting the useOceanShaders parameter from "True" to "False".
  • You are not supposed to use RSSVE with KSP 1.3 as not all of it's dependencies (Scatterer) are compatible with KSP 1.3 yet.

Offtopic: did the compatibility checker message appear on the KSP startup?

3 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Well...you should have mentioned it earlier. Anyway, in that case:

• I explicitly set that parameter to be enabled. You can modify that by opening the RSSVE_Scatterer_Global_Config file and setting the useOceanShaders parameter from "True" to "False".
  • You are not supposed to use RSSVE with KSP 1.3 as not all of it's dependencies (Scatterer) are compatible with KSP 1.3 yet.

Offtopic: did the compatibility checker message appear on the KSP startup?

Ah, ok, sorry I didn't mention it at the start.

The compatibility checker does appear, and tells me that Real Solar System and RSSVE are incompatible. I've managed to get them to work with hotfixes/workarounds from those threads.

On 6/12/2017 at 2:02 AM, Galileo said:

Well, because Squad does not want to change its minimum requirements to play the game. It wants to keep the players with crummy pcs and Macs playing. I assume for fear of loosing potential monies. 

This is why every other game on the market has different options for setting up details :wink:   If you can make a mod for it, then you can also make a default option to select/deselect effects like EVE, scatterer, chatterer etc in the stock game. It's incredible what mods like this add to "imushion" and the overall experience of the game. I am really cringing with my 1.3.0 install that does not have EVE and scatterer running yet on RSS, it all just looks so empty ;.;

7 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Cool... just old install, or modified configs? How come no release yet on RSSVE then? Ooooohhhh... happy happy happy

Because things are a little weird right now lol. I have to update my patch for RSS as Kopernicus has changed since I made the patch. It still works, just differently :)

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

"little weird" whahaha... planets disappearing?

I have a full SSRSS that has EVE/Scatterer running, was just waiting for an official release for RSS (no rush).

Well I'm not behind the official release, I just patched it to work with the new kopernicus. If you like how SSRSS works, then RSS and RSSVE will be the exact same. The only real issue is with distant objects enhancements and things like that. When mousing over earth in DOE it reads Kerbin. Other than that it runs fine 

9 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

How come no release yet on RSSVE then?

• RSS and some of it's less known dependencies are not officially updated yet for KSP 1.3
  • Scatterer is not updated yet for KSP 1.3
  • Doing some work ironing out many big and small bugs & issues found since the RC3 pre-release
  • Many other things that may or may not be tackled until the next (pre?) release