Proposal for new challenge: Recreate "The Martian" by Andy Weir

Let me guess... Guy in spacesuit is Mark Watney (Hi, Dr. Mann!), The blonde on the center left is Johansson, The blonde in the lower right is Lewis, the guy next to "Johansson" is Beck, and the bald guy is Vogel. Where's Martinez?

Kate Mara (House of Cards) is Johansson, bottom right. Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) in the center is Lewis.

I recreated the Hermes! In KSP! With hyperedit! And KWR! And RnS Capsuledyne! And Tweakscale! And yeah!

Tried it just stock parts yet? I do like the look of yours!

How bout that trailer huh?

{Full video URL}

• 1 month later...

This book got me back into KSP and this challenge made me register for the forums so thanks.

I just finished re-creating a flight plan kinda like Hermes. I have a ship that just left Duna at Universal day 72 (I had to turn off kerbin time to work with PLAD's FlybyFinder, thanks for that PLAD). The screenshots are from a couple days after it left Duna's SOI. It then does a flyby of Kerbin, then back to Duna, then back to Kerbin for a close approach. Currently the plan has 2 maneuver nodes, one for 1.8 m/s just to trim stuff up and then another right after leaving Duna the second time for 85 m/s but I'm pretty sure I could get that way down just by trimming the Duna flyby way earlier. I tried messing with it and the paths kept bouncing all over the place (asking the engine to plan out over 200 days with 5 planetary SOI changes is a little taxing I guess) so I left things where they were while I got the screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/1DQam

Next step is actually flying it, we'll see if it works :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The SECOND trailer is here now!

Sweet! You can see more of the hardwear used too. Also, Duna needs to have flat areas and close-by high elevation 'hills' like in that first scene in the trailer. Man that would be awesome!

Ooh, watch this folks. Very interesting indeed!!

Edited by Majorjim

In the stock game, I've EVAd guys from a LM type ascent ship to an orbiting CM ship without fully matching orbit, staying suborbital. This was because I didn't unlock docking ports yet and thought it would be a good way to simultaneously deorbit the LM, so it wouldn't be orbital junk.

Has anybody done the final rendezvous between the MAV and Hermes in this game? At least in such a way to keep the MAV suborbital (or did it go orbital)? Looking at Andy Weir's software simulation of the Hermes path (http://www.galactanet.com/martian/hermes.mp4), it looks like it does a Mars flyby without dropping to orbital speeds. Possible it does, and just accelerates to the initial velocity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I believe Andy did a Google presentation or something like that and showed the final orbital trajectory of Hermes... Might be useful. Anyone remember this?

Starts around 13:40 in this video.

PS - I had to stop work on my Hermes model. I was going to be around 1000+ parts when finished, and KSP was breaking at 50% completion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.