1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

Magic Smoke Industries presents:

O94LBvF.png

For all your actuation needs!

This mod introduces robotics parts to the game, letting you create moving or spinning contraptions that just aren't possible under stock KSP.

How do I use Infernal Robotics parts?

What does Infernal Robotics let me do?

(robotics parts in this video came from the Model Rework & Expansion)

Do not attach docking ports directly (or indirectly) to IR parts. It will make your life miserable. You have been warned!

It is recommended that you delete any previous version of Infernal Robotics that you may have previously installed before upgrading to this version.

Release v2.0.2 GNU GPL version 3, 29 July 2007

Download from Curse

Download from SpaceDock

This download contains the main Infernal Robotics plugin as well as a collection of Legacy robotics parts to let you experience how robotics works. You may remove the Legacy parts (located in GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts) if you are installing IR for use with another mod and only need it for the plugin.

Changelog:

[LIST]
[*] Fix for unnecessary EC consumption for uncontrolled parts.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] Recompile for 1.0.5
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] Recompile for 1.0.4
[*] Fixes for tweakscale interaction for transalting IR parts
[*] Better handling of symmetry for presets and other settings.
[*] FAR compatibility: FAR is notified when the IR parts have changed their position so it can recalculate voxel model accordingly.
[*] Better input handling for all textfields, makes typing in desired values much easier.
[*] Proper handling of New button in editor.
[*] Fixes for KIS/KAS attached IR parts to function properly.
[*] Minor changes to API implementation of UID field.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] Made our AppLauncher icon follow the same behaviour as when blizzy's toolbar installed and only show when there are robotic parts on the craft in flight. Editor button is still always visible.
[*] Fixed .version file
[*] Updated KSPAPIExtensions.dll dependency
[*] Converted Legacy parts textures to DDS
[*] Rearranged Legacy parts position in tech tree.
[*] Added support for CTT for Legacy parts.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] Fixed a bug with the stock toolbar
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] Recompiled for KSP 1.0
[*] Updated stock toolbar support
[*] Updated custom parts filter. Now with custom icon!
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]BREAKING: Field "Coarse Speed" has been renamed in the UI to just "Speed". Will affect all KOS scripts that read or change that field. Field name in part.cfg has not changed, so all existing crafts should load successfully.
[*]BREAKING: Some Events and Actions has been renamed in the UI, check your IR related kOS scripts.
[*]BREAKING: Part config fields "maxRange" and "minRange" are now obsolete. There are no reworked or legacy parts that use those two fields.
[*]NEW: All controllable servos now have Acceleration parameter. As the name suggest it is the rate at which servos speed up or slow down. Default value for legacy parts is 4x.
[*]Acceleration and Speed are only applied in-flight, in editor parts move at their default speed.
Tip: Lower acceleration allows for smoother movements leading to less wobble, but at the cost of lower speed.
[*]NEW: You can create preset positions for all controllable servos and switch between them in flight and in editor.
[*]Presets are automatically sorted from lowest to highest
[*]In editor you can switch between presets either on main Servo Configurator GUI or via Preset Editor
[*]In flight you can move servo from current position to next or previous preset position via main Servo Controller GUI or using ActionGroups
[*]You can move servo to arbitrary preset position via Preset Editor window both in flight and in editor.
[*]For examples on using presets refer to the video overview linked below.
[*]NEW: Integration into other mods through API
[*]GUI Redesign
[*]Redesigned Editor UI to fit most of the relevant fields and actions in one window.
[*]You can now move individual servos and change their main parameters from single IR window without the need to right-click every servo.
[*]Redesigned in-flight controls to accommodate all new changes and for better readability.
[*]All IR in-flight windows now obey F2 command (hide/show UI) and should not get in the way of your awesome screenshots.
[*]Custom category in editor listing all robotic parts.
[*]Editor and Flight window width is scaled dynamically.
[*]Editor window now has an option to revert servo to default position (usually 0).
[*]You can move servos to precise positions in editor by creating presets and snapping servos to them.
[*]Position and ranges for inverted axis parts are now shown in different style.
[*]All buttons now have basic tooltips.
[*]Whole set of new icons for a polished looks.
[*]TweakScale configs on Legacy parts have been fixed to work with the latest version of TweakScale.
[*]Servo sound's pitch now scales with servo's movement speed
[/LIST]

Recommended Downloads

- Lets you increase and decrease the size of all robotics parts, without having to resort to multiple scaled copies cluttering up your part list

- A large collection of robotics and structural parts that really take advantage of what can be done with Infernal Robotics (these will eventually replace the current parts bundled with IR)

Source Code

Available on Github:

My free time is quite sparse these days but I make the best of what I can do to keep this plugin going. If you think I deserve anything (mostly beer!), feel free to donate.

btn_donate_LG.gif

How To Install

Current Contributors

• sirkut
  • ziw
  • erendrake
  • pellinor
  • ZodiusInfuser

FAQ

How do I use the gantry and it's variant?

Scaling up parts by ~200% with Tweakscale causes them to stop working

This is a known issue. For now create a copy of a parts cfg and change the rescale factor if there's a specific part you need at this size

Part seem very weak

The joints between the two halves of robotics parts only have a limited strength so can often flex if placed under excessive load. This is continuing to be looked into but for now try using Active or Quantum Struts to hold parts in place under these excessive loads.

How do I make my own robotics parts?

I wrote a simple tutorial on how to do so:

Other Mods that use Infernal Robotics

Edited by sirkut

I don't think this has been updated for CKAN yet

I just messaged erendrake about it - he says it's probably because they moved the repository to a new shared location, and in so doing forgot to alter the CKAN data file to reflect the change.

EDIT: It seems to be fixed now. It's now finding version 0.20.

Edited by Steven Mading

Fairly minor thing: the *.version file for KSP-AVC has been stagnant for a while it seems - last supported KSP version dates back to 23.5 according to the file. Will you be updating that once KSP 1.0 gets released? It would make updating easier. (I lucked out: I was just perusing the Add-on forums to check on other mod releases and noticed the new IR thread. Dunno about other players/users...)

The new IR is a MASSIVE change and improvement from the older version(s), so I imagine you'd like to get it out to everyone that uses it. There's CKAN, I suppose, but I'm not a fan of relying on standalone third-party software to update my game content. Rather have it built-in to the mod/game directly like KSP-AVC.

Fairly minor thing: the *.version file for KSP-AVC has been stagnant for a while it seems - last supported KSP version dates back to 23.5 according to the file. Will you be updating that once KSP 1.0 gets released? It would make updating easier. (I lucked out: I was just perusing the Add-on forums to check on other mod releases and noticed the new IR thread. Dunno about other players/users...)

The new IR is a MASSIVE change and improvement from the older version(s), so I imagine you'd like to get it out to everyone that uses it. There's CKAN, I suppose, but I'm not a fan of relying on standalone third-party software to update my game content. Rather have it built-in to the mod/game directly like KSP-AVC.

We noticed that *.version is outdated and points to the wrong repository 10 minutes after release :) We're working on fixing that, pretty sure it will be fixed in 1.0 compatibility update.

Edited by Ziw
a word

I've been using the older version of IR with the model rework and expansion, with no issues, but after I updated to this version, with the model rework, my computer is experiencing massive framerate and fps stutter issues. has anyone else seen this? Just wondering if maybe the model rework isn't compatible[completely] with this new version?

Did you do an in-place update or did you delete the whole MagicSmoke* folder and re-install the entire mod? If you did in-place, you risk keeping some files that might interfere with the mod(s). ZodiusInfuser and Ziw seem to be working together in more or less lock-step with one another and coordinating as much as possible. The Model rework was updated a few days before this was updated (despite the date in the model rework thread. Zodius didn't update it, but it was a minor update. Functionally, nothing changed: one part had some minor stat changes/tweaks. I was mainly an info update: parts have actual text descriptions now.)

Try wiping the MagicSmoke folder and re-installing the mod set from scratch.

We noticed that *.version is outdated and points to the wrong repository 10 minutes after release :) We're working on fixing that, pretty sure it will be fixed in 1.0 compatibility update.

That's cool. :) Only a week or so away, so no big deal, I guess. Just wanted to point it out :wink:

Edited by StahnAileron

I did in fact, delete and reinstall the whole folder, I have had that cause problems before, but thanks for that suggestion.

Can you post our logs here? We haven't had any performance complaints yet from anyone trying out pre-release, so it's worth investigating.

ZodiusInfuser and Ziw seem to be working together in more or less lock-step with one another and coordinating as much as possible. The Model rework was updated a few days before this was updated (despite the date in the model rework thread. Zodius didn't update it, but it was a minor update. Functionally, nothing changed: one part had some minor stat changes/tweaks. I was mainly an info update: parts have actual text descriptions now.)

Indeed myself and Ziw have been in constant communication about the mods, which is why things like default presets are already included.

Thanks for spotting that omission, I updated the OP title but not the individual mod dates. Fixed now.

Data log: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lgp5gdfemjdyiti/AABdav1cBmicHwekwmPwtwiEa?dl=0 Let me know if you need anything else in there.

Hmm, I dont not see anything wrong there apart from some exceptions from Snacks/AGX/KAC that should not affect performance. Can you try installing previous pre-release from IR dev thread (in my signature) and see if there is any difference in performance (maybe on a separate copy of KSP to avoid any problems on main install)?

Edited by Ziw

Hmm, I dont not see anything wrong there apart from some exceptions from Snacks/AGX/KAC that should not affect performance. Can you try installing previous pre-release from IR dev thread (in my signature) and see if there is any difference in performance (maybe on a separate copy of KSP to avoid any problems on main install)?

I've played around with it a bit, and rolled back versions, [i keep copies of all the old versions of mods I use all the way back to .18 KSP] I do not get this error every time I start ksp. It seems to be random, as in it doesn't happen every other time, or every 3rd time, but it only happens with the latest version of IR. I'm not sure what's causing it.

Edit: I havn't tried it on a clean install, with just the newest IR will try that tomorrow after work.

Actually, what version of AGX are you using? I just found out that the 1.31-series has a memory leak that the current version (1.31h) seems to have fixed (though there is another bug that surfaced... Not a performance bug, but a functional bug for career mode. Diazo is working on it though.) If you're using version G or earlier of AGX 1.31, update it to H. I had MASSIVE stuttering problems at times. I too thought it was IR related since I had noticeable problems when I tried out IR once again. Unfortunately, I grabbed the new IR pre-releases at the same as I had updated several plugins, AGX included. AGX doesn't have KSP-AVC support it seems and I don't CKAN, so AGX updates can fly completely under the radar of users.

See if updating AGX helps.

Numero uno: the new plugin, the new interfaces, the new (I think?) amount of control you have over the speed of parts, presets, all of that are awesome. I love it all.

Secondly: If, like me, you are irrationally frustrated with the limits on the maximum size of robotic parts, I've got a workaround-ish solution until TweakScale interaction is improved (if it will be).

Here is a ModuleManager patch that does the following things for Rework parts specifically - not for Legacy:

Things:

1. All robotic parts can now be scaled at relatively fine increments from 0.25x their original (normal) size to 5x. HUGE! Wooooo!
  2. Trusses and wheels can also be scaled at these fine increments, though I didn't allow for wheels to become huge since I just don't know if they behave correctly when enormous. You can easily change this if you want.
  3. The mass of robotic parts except at the smallest scale is increased somewhat (most Rework parts originally: 0.1t, my changes: 0.3t); this gives them slightly stronger joints. Smallest-scale parts now weigh ~ 0.02 instead of 0.025ish.
  4. Much simplified TweakScale stuff - fewer SCALETYPES to edit if you want to fiddle with scaleFactors or what have you.
  5. Hides the three pointless (I think? I just couldn't figure these out) half-size Athlete trusses.

Downsides:

1. Biggest downside: when placing parts, they start out huge and you'll have to scale them down for normal-sized ships. This is currently unavoidable if you want parts more than 1.5X (or so) the size of the originals.
  2. Telescopic pistons didn't get upscaled - they don't cooperate and I don't know why. Maybe someone else can figure this out. You can still make trusses match their size (or pretty close) since they're made to freescale.
  3. Heavier robotic parts could be a downside too.
  4. The original SCALETYPES for reworked parts had a cool system of matching names of scales to absolute sizes of parts - this is somewhat broken with my system, but only for half-size bits like RoboTruss Lite and RoboTube parts, wheels too, I think, and maybe some others. I.e. a RoboTruss Lite part at "2x" scale will no longer exactly match every other part scaled to "2x". I think the bonuses outweigh this.
  5. No Legacy part support. They break like the telescopic pistons. Also don't know why.
  6. Didn't mess with electric charge required, so that will be way off - maybe in another version.

With some fiddling, this same thing could be done to allow 8x or 150x (or whatever) size robotic parts too, though they would be really annoying to place in the editor.

FYI: I'm totally guessing on reasonable masses for the scaled-up robotic parts, so tweaking is probably needed; maybe some stuff is totally broken. Feedback welcome!

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Actually, what version of AGX are you using? I just found out that the 1.31-series has a memory leak that the current version (1.31h) seems to have fixed (though there is another bug that surfaced... Not a performance bug, but a functional bug for career mode. Diazo is working on it though.) If you're using version G or earlier of AGX 1.31, update it to H. I had MASSIVE stuttering problems at times. I too thought it was IR related since I had noticeable problems when I tried out IR once again. Unfortunately, I grabbed the new IR pre-releases at the same as I had updated several plugins, AGX included. AGX doesn't have KSP-AVC support it seems and I don't CKAN, so AGX updates can fly completely under the radar of users.

See if updating AGX helps.

If that was for me, I'm still using version 1.25D :sticktongue: Way outta date on that one.

Great work guys, I love the fact that when assigning parts to an action group you no longer need to toggle a direction on and then off again. That caused a lot of issues with some of my torture devi.... I mean machines. Also I'm having some issues getting the rotor to lock. It will turn past its adjusted preset minimum and maximum every time. Also the 180 degree Pivitron I believe it was, would not accept a new "center" position it would default to its original preset regardless of what I enter and save. I wound up using the old deprecated Pivitron with a default center position of 90 degrees and that worked like a charm. But those two minor issues aside you all did an amazing job on the rework.

Edited by V8jester

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.