1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

1 minute ago, Gawdin said:

Dumb Question: For clarification, if we have the model rework pack, we do not need the legacy parts right?

No, unless you need them. Some parts, like gantries, do not have an analogue on Rework pack yet.

30 minutes ago, J.Random said:

Just noticed that uncontrolled hinges always draw power. Is that intended?

A1Gfn3F.jpg

No. Did you move the uncontrolled hinges in editor prior to flight?

EDIT: Yes, i see the missed check in the code. For now you can change scene or quicksave/load  and they will stop consuming EC. You should then open the editor mode and move all the uncontrolled parts to a different group to avoid the same issue starting again when you move your normal servos. I'll issue a fix later today.

Edited by Ziw

My apologies if this was asked before:

Do rotating parts have a centrifugal force?
Is this supported by the core of the game?

If I would add KSP KeepFit that applies myatrophy to Kerbals when they're in space for a long term, could a rotating part avoid that?
Could you collaborate with the creator of KSP KeepFit to make this possible if not?

Just now, Gordon Dry said:

Do rotating parts have a centrifugal force?
Is this supported by the core of the game?

If I would add KSP KeepFit that applies myatrophy to Kerbals when they're in space for a long term, could a rotating part avoid that?
Could you collaborate with the creator of KSP KeepFit to make this possible if not?

Rotating parts do create the force because... physics :) 

I'm not sure about KeepFit, it is out of the scale of our mod. If KeepFit accommodates for artificial gravity via rotation, then it should work with IR as well.

11 minutes ago, Ziw said:

Rotating parts do create the force because... physics :) 

I'm not sure about KeepFit, it is out of the scale of our mod. If KeepFit accommodates for artificial gravity via rotation, then it should work with IR as well.

I also asked there. I really hope that it works.
For a long-term project a orbiting station could be upgraded segment by segment to a real mission space craft that is more than a sardines canister.

3 hours ago, Ziw said:

No. Did you move the uncontrolled hinges in editor prior to flight?

EDIT: Yes, i see the missed check in the code. For now you can change scene or quicksave/load  and they will stop consuming EC. You should then open the editor mode and move all the uncontrolled parts to a different group to avoid the same issue starting again when you move your normal servos. I'll issue a fix later today.

Yes, moving all of them into a separate group and never touching it works, thanks.

Just now, J.Random said:

Yes, moving all of them into a separate group and never touching it works, thanks.

Latest 2.0.2 update fixes that as well, so you no longer have to do it.

im having issues getting the gui to show up in the VAB and SPH there is a lot of mods but..yeah

mod list

Spoiler

qwl6Ieh.png

logs

From the log

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at InfernalRobotics.Gui.IREditorCategory.IRCustomFilter () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer+<SetInitialState>c__IteratorC0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by BrutalRIP

48 minutes ago, BrutalRIP said:

im having issues getting the gui to show up in the VAB and SPH there is a lot of mods but..yeah

mod list

Hide contents

qwl6Ieh.png

logs

From the log

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at InfernalRobotics.Gui.IREditorCategory.IRCustomFilter () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer+<SetInitialState>c__IteratorC0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Can you make IR button visible in Toolbar (blizzy)? Did you clean install or update? can you check with stock+IR on a separate install?

Edited by Ziw

How do I calculate the G-Force / centrifugal force when building a rotating station?

What is "Speed" in mean of rotation? How can I translate it to "degrees per second" or to rpm?

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

How do I calculate the G-Force / centrifugal force when building a rotating station?

What is "Speed" in mean of rotation? How can I translate it to "degrees per second" or to rpm?

If you open the part.cfg file of a part you are interested in look for keyRotateSpeed - this will bee speed in degrees per second.

"Speed" parameter in the UI is the multiplier that is applied to this basic speed.

@Ziw I just forked your github repo because I wanted a docking washer that acted semi-freely (configurable rigidity through torque/damping so it doesn't spin as easily) + angle limits. This being the first KSP mod I ever compile, it surprisingly didn't take long to add in such part but sadly I was unable to get it working the way I intended. As I was reading through the code, it seems rotational limits/spring/damping isn't working right now. I could try fix it myself but I'm not so familiar with everything yet. Do you have any comment on this matter?

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Enroy said:

@Ziw I just forked your github repo because I wanted a docking washer that acted semi-freely (configurable rigidity through torque/damping so it doesn't spin as easily) + angle limits. This being the first KSP mod I ever compile, it surprisingly didn't take long to add in such part but sadly I was unable to get it working the way I intended. As I was reading through the code, it seems rotational limits/spring/damping isn't working right now. I could try fix it myself but I'm not so familiar with everything yet. Do you have any comment on this matter?

Thank you!

Check your PM, this discussion would be a bit too technical for this thread I'm afraid :)

12 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Made my first free running bearing for use in my piston engines yesterday. Thank you guys, for this wonderful mod!

Although it is not requested as much, as it can be done with 2 existing parts now, I do want to make a ball joint free moving part possible with IR.

24 minutes ago, Ziw said:

Check your PM, this discussion would be a bit too technical for this thread I'm afraid :)

Although it is not requested as much, as it can be done with 2 existing parts now, I do want to make a ball joint free moving part possible with IR.

Great for people building custom car suspensions! I just hope someone ever cracks the problem how to make tiny & light parts without spaghetti joints. I haven't studied how IR works but I find it strange Unity 5 has the option to create a physic material but it only applies to collider friction and bounciness, not properties like joint flexibility and breaking force/torque. Guess it's time to post in the Unity forum.

Wondering if anyone else has gotten jittery laden rover wheels on the same vessels in moving from 2.0.0 to 2.0.2 ? Jitter stops on revert to 2.0.0 . Will look through logs etc later today if I can to try to see what I can find.

6 minutes ago, kujuman said:

Wondering if anyone else has gotten jittery laden rover wheels on the same vessels in moving from 2.0.0 to 2.0.2 ? Jitter stops on revert to 2.0.0 . Will look through logs etc later today if I can to try to see what I can find.

We've added auto-strut removal for wheels in 2.0.2, but it should only affect craft when you move servos. Let me know if it's not the case.

Edited by Ziw

4 hours ago, Ziw said:

If you open the part.cfg file of a part you are interested in look for keyRotateSpeed - this will bee speed in degrees per second.

"Speed" parameter in the UI is the multiplier that is applied to this basic speed.

Thank you. I fiddled a spreadsheet - but because it needs "Solver" I can't get it to work on Google Spreadsheets, so here is the dropbox link (OpenOffice/libreOffice .ods):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvdyrxy4r6bzx89/Rotating%20speed%20to%20get%201%20gee%20centrifugal%20force.ods?dl=0

Edited by Gordon Dry

@kujuman or anyone else experiencing wheel jitter - please try this dll (replace your existing InfernalRobotics.dll with this one), it uses a different approach for auto-strut removal and re-creation.

https://mega.nz/#!ud1jRCaR!bwnIRog24Hc-PUOrhvN8bTB6o0RK37E4antzMnuTdgM

Alternatively - post a craft file here, so I can test it myself

Edited by Ziw

4 hours ago, Ziw said:

@kujuman or anyone else experiencing wheel jitter - please try this dll (replace your existing InfernalRobotics.dll with this one), it uses a different approach for auto-strut removal and re-creation.

https://mega.nz/#!ud1jRCaR!bwnIRog24Hc-PUOrhvN8bTB6o0RK37E4antzMnuTdgM

Alternatively - post a craft file here, so I can test it myself

I decided to try out this new DLL, and figured it'd be best to make it with as stock parts as I can. I'm unsure if other mods might interfere with the issue I've been having: Infernal Robotics wheels causing vessels to leap into the air and slam back down, causing explosions as parts become too stressed.

Here is my test craft. I also tested with a reaction wheel and one of Roverdude's life support inline cans. The life support can seemed to keep the center of mass low so the vessel didn't leap into the air, though the reaction wheel had an effect I should've seen coming (It caused the vessel to flip when I tried to roll forward).

If you need any more info, lemme know and I'll try to get you what you need to sort this out.

22 minutes ago, DonKalypso said:

I decided to try out this new DLL, and figured it'd be best to make it with as stock parts as I can. I'm unsure if other mods might interfere with the issue I've been having: Infernal Robotics wheels causing vessels to leap into the air and slam back down, causing explosions as parts become too stressed.

Here is my test craft. I also tested with a reaction wheel and one of Roverdude's life support inline cans. The life support can seemed to keep the center of mass low so the vessel didn't leap into the air, though the reaction wheel had an effect I should've seen coming (It caused the vessel to flip when I tried to roll forward).

If you need any more info, lemme know and I'll try to get you what you need to sort this out.

I'm afraid you misunderstood me, IR wheels from Zodius parts pack are still broken. This fix was for stock wheels attached to robotic crafts (like in this album posted before)

Edited by Ziw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.