1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

25 minutes ago, drZuko said:

When playing around in the editor, everything moves without error which leads me to believe that it's the physics simulation that's causing these issues, but I am not entirely sure. Am I missing something here?

Also, I was initially wanting to place the shutters on a gantry, but I cannot seem to find the parts. That is, I know that there is a gantry in the legacy pack, but I thought that the truss and railing parts were the reworked replacements for the legacy gantry. Was I wrong to presume this? If so, what purpose do these truss and rail parts serve? 

Looks like wheel/landing leg autostrut issue. Or if you use KJR, use dev version, check out links couple of posts above.

16 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Looks like wheel/landing leg autostrut issue. Or if you use KJR, use dev version, check out links couple of posts above.

Right on the money! I hadn't even considered it since KJR one of those mods you install and forget about. Thanks for the insight :)

14 hours ago, V8jester said:

I actually just inquired about this very thing in the KAS thread. The Robostruts are just like a quantum strut. Only works on the same vessel. This is useful for stabilizing flexible robotic arms while in transit or stabilizing a docked vehicle to another vehicle.

Thanks.  I realize the regular RoboStruts work like that but I guess that's where I fell down with this.  I thought the grappler and target worked differently.   I found a post on the Steam forums showing the RoboStrut Grappler in use between two separate craft:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/412447331645950094/#c412447524178954836

Quoted:

So, here's something I threw together quickly...

B591D9E2A58E6005596AD0D42E819A510F768B6D 

This is Infernal Robotics implimentation of reusable struts. I took the Mallard stock craft and modified it simply by placing one strut part in the floor of the cargo bays. Then I built a really simple rover...that made me realise just how small MK3 cargo bays are...and the rover had it's own strut receptor.

I was able to drive the rover up the ramp...with a little brute force and ignorance...and into the cargo bay area where I could then right click on the floor strut to make it connect. I had to switch craft to do this but that's down to how I placed the parts and the parts I used.

Then I could fly no problem, the craft remain seperate and so the wheels don't pass through the plane. That screenshot is actually while in flight.

Infernal Robotics is an awesome mod by the way. I would install it before any other extra parts simply because it really does bring something that isn't otherwise available in the stock game...and I mean the robot parts more than these struts...but the struts are great too.

So I'm guessing this functionality was broken after some base game update?  Looks like it worked pretty cool though. 

Edited by DoubleUU
Clarity

On 3/25/2017 at 7:07 AM, Hacki said:

I patched the sourcecode and compiled my own version of the surface sampler dll. 

The code changes are already in the main branch on github, but theres no updated dll yet. 

You can download my version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w13dbasuoshjpqj/IRSurfaceSampler.dll?dl=0

Drop it into <your path to ksp>\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Rework_Utility\Plugins

I grabbed your copy and replaced the dll in there but it still has the same problems. im testing off the runway to the left on Gael

On 3/25/2017 at 10:27 PM, V8jester said:

I actually just inquired about this very thing in the KAS thread. The Robostruts are just like a quantum strut. Only works on the same vessel. This is useful for stabilizing flexible robotic arms while in transit or stabilizing a docked vehicle to another vehicle.

I think the RoboStrut Grabber is broken for me.  Even on the same vessel with a Grabber and Target just a short distance from one another and the Grabber pointing directly at the target there isn't any functionality to connect the two.  I know there is a separate download for the sampler.  Is there one for the Grabber that maybe I've missed?

1 hour ago, DoubleUU said:

I think the RoboStrut Grabber is broken for me.  Even on the same vessel with a Grabber and Target just a short distance from one another and the Grabber pointing directly at the target there isn't any functionality to connect the two.  I know there is a separate download for the sampler.  Is there one for the Grabber that maybe I've missed?

Not that I am aware of. I miss them too!

20 hours ago, Selrinn said:

I grabbed your copy and replaced the dll in there but it still has the same problems. im testing off the runway to the left on Gael

The version i gave you should be a debug version, that is, it'll dump some stuff into the ksp log when you hit the button.

Could you open the debug console with Alt+F12 and see what it says when you hit "drill surface sample"? 

Edited by Hacki

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Not that I am aware of. I miss them too!

I took a look at the post you made regarding KAS.  I would guess that if he's correct and we can do it EVA using KAS parts then the grabber could be fixed.  Or am I thinking too simplistically?  Is it correct to surmise that if some combination of KAS gizmos can do what we're looking for then it's possible the grabber could be salvaged?  If it is feasible I wouldn't mind taking a stab at at least identifying potential fixes.

6 minutes ago, DoubleUU said:

I took a look at the post you made regarding KAS.  I would guess that if he's correct and we can do it EVA using KAS parts then the grabber could be fixed.  Or am I thinking too simplistically?  Is it correct to surmise that if some combination of KAS gizmos can do what we're looking for then it's possible the grabber could be salvaged?  If it is feasible I wouldn't mind taking a stab at at least identifying potential fixes.

Are you referring to the Grasper and the magnets? They work, you just need to change one line in the KAS module in there cfg's to make them stronger. (On my phone ATM) I'll post the line and what you need to do when I get back home.

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

Are you referring to the Grasper and the magnets? They work, you just need to change one line in the KAS module in there cfg's to make them stronger. (On my phone ATM) I'll post the line and what you need to do when I get back home.

I don't think we're talking about the same parts.  I'm talking about these parts:

EnkBU6e.jpg

8x8gayS.jpg

8 hours ago, DoubleUU said:

I don't think we're talking about the same parts.  I'm talking about these parts:

EnkBU6e.jpg

8x8gayS.jpg

These parts are powered by Active Struts plugin which is not supported anymore. 

To All: I will try to do an update (most likely just a recompile) when the new version of KSP goes public, but it will most likely stay on github as well.

3 hours ago, Ziw said:

These parts are powered by Active Struts plugin which is not supported anymore. 

To All: I will try to do an update (most likely just a recompile) when the new version of KSP goes public, but it will most likely stay on github as well.

Wait, so will those parts NOT work for 1.2.2??? That would be a real shame!

Just now, Calvin_Maclure said:

Wait, so will those parts NOT work for 1.2.2??? That would be a real shame!

Unfortunately it is so. You can try to get the latest posted version of Active Struts that was with the repack here (it was built for 1.1.x but might work).

2 hours ago, Ziw said:

Unfortunately it is so. You can try to get the latest posted version of Active Struts that was with the repack here (it was built for 1.1.x but might work).

Will there ever be a remedy to this? Those parts are... well... rather useful. 

25 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Will there ever be a remedy to this? Those parts are... well... rather useful. 

Not exactly same thing, but I used struts from B9 mod. Those have new function to act as decoupler. Unfortunately, you can't use them to attach on something in flight like grapler parts.

@Elmetian have mentioned that he used quantum struts for similar purpose. I don't know what exact mod is for quantum struts, though.

10 hours ago, Ziw said:

Is the ActiveStruts on Github the same as the version that was packaged with this?

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/Active-Struts

I'm happy to take a look, though most likely this is going to be over my head.  I can recompile it at least and see if it works.

10 hours ago, DoubleUU said:

Is the ActiveStruts on Github the same as the version that was packaged with this?

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/Active-Struts

I'm happy to take a look, though most likely this is going to be over my head.  I can recompile it at least and see if it works.

You can try, but there is a licensing issue. The author of Active Struts explicitly forbid posting a stand-alone release of the plugin, permitting its distribution only alongside IR Model Rework.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:56 PM, Hacki said:

The version i gave you should be a debug version, that is, it'll dump some stuff into the ksp log when you hit the button.

Could you open the debug console with Alt+F12 and see what it says when you hit "drill surface sample"? 

It says... Nothing?...

9UCPZhm.png

Headscratching intensifies.

I think you put the DLL in the wrong place, i just re-downloaded the file i put into my dropbox, added it to the KSP dir and it should look like this: 

nVfSU6g.jpg

If it doesnt show any Error:[IRSurfaceSampler] lines it's not using my DLL.

4 hours ago, Hacki said:

I think you put the DLL in the wrong place, i just re-downloaded the file i put into my dropbox, added it to the KSP dir and it should look like this: 

nVfSU6g.jpg.

You got any more pics of that rover? Its an interesting design.

15 hours ago, Hacki said:

nVfSU6g.jpg

That is a neat rover, also i will try again tomorrow when i get some play time.

On 3/31/2017 at 5:11 AM, Hacki said:

Okay so i dropped it in the IR utility folder again and still the same problem. So then i made a new copy of base GPP with just IR installed and dropped it in and replaced the old DLL and it worked :)

So now i was very confused why it didn't work on my main install. 

Long troubleshooting procedure later, 

It turns out that it was grabbing the wrong dll file v:confused:

I had renamed the original to IRSurfaceSampler(old).dll and left it in the folder and for what ever reason it wasn't using the new dll.

all i did was delete the old dll that i had renamed and the damn thing worked as intended. 

Thanks for getting that to work for me :) much appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.