Counting down the days: 6

SQUAD

<figure data-url="https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7cinsnotgq8" data-orig-height="304" data-orig-width="540" data-provider="youtube" class="tmblr-embed tmblr-full"><iframe id="youtube_iframe" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7cinsnotgq8?feature=oembed&enablejsapi=1&origin=https://safe.txmblr.com&wmode=opaque" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="304" width="540"></iframe></figure><p>Just six days to go until KSP 1.0 releases next Monday. Today we take a closer look at how fairings are made.<br/></p>

Yeah... I think I'm gonna stick with Procedural Fairings...
Yep. Squad? Your fairings need work.

Note: I (and this video) is not saying you CAN'T make proper clamshell fairings. I'm just saying they have yet to actually show them happening.

For all I know they're doing it on purpose to keep us talking about them :D

Hold the phone on the "proper fairing" bit.

Much like the "clamber" animation yesterday, it just seems rushed. I sure hope these are not omens of everything else. I sure hope they don't drop the ball while standing in the end zone.

Much like the "clamber" animation yesterday, it just seems rushed. I sure hope these are not omens of everything else. I sure hope they don't drop the ball while standing in the end zone.

KSP 1.0 isn't going to be perfect, it will merely be the best iteration of KSP we've ever seen so far.

Best,

-Slashy

Aww... Still potato chip fairings?

And what's with the different textures for top and bottom of the inside? Is there some reason for that?

EDIT: Oh wait never mind, I saw that you could make the fairings separate into groups. It's okay.

Edited by RyanRising

Wow, that fairing sep looks dreadful... Haha!

Hoping that a normal clamshell separation functionality is in there (but being publicly withheld as a weakly hamfisted attempt at PR).

If not, it'll just be another stock part on the "delete-and-replace-with-procedural-mod" list.

0.27 is definitely looking like the best alpha yet.

TBH I'm not quite ready to go 1.0 yet. I can't let go of my 0.90 game, it's just getting off the ground! :P

(Yeah, 0.90 is in a separate folder for that purpose.)

I'm with Temeter here. You wanted fairings, we are getting fairings. Will they be improved upon? Yeah I reckon so. Nothing in the game is really a direct analogue of real life, I'm looking at you Ion engine. It doesn't immediately mean they wont tweaak and mess with what will be a full game. Who's to say 1.1 wont give you the option for bag of crisps vs clamshell? I don't mind how they work as long as they work. Besides if you don't like it I'm sure the mod will be available, just like I don't like the graphics so I install a mod for that.

The full release (agree with it or not) will have everything in it. Then the modding community (which are amazing) will come to save your sanity :)

Tweety

Edit: Also watching it a second and third time, it just looks like the kerbal way. "I've got all these explosive bolts here....I know what to do with them"

Edited by Tweety

What is the problem with you forum guys not wanting to accept that this is leaving alpha (and beta) and being so nitpicky about the new, rather cool and useful features? I mean quit looking for reasons to be annoyed that it isn't exactly what you wanted and be happy its there.

I am quite excited about having neat-looking fairings, even if they do open like an exploding bag of chips, its quite awesome that they're a stock feature.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.