Stock Payload Fraction Challenge: 1.0.5 Edition

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, parzr said:

Can the payload be fuel that is sloshed around to balance the craft but otherwise unused?

Only if it stays within the payload tanks. I.e. you could launch with partially-filled, deactivated tanks as payload and transfer fuel among them, but you can't transfer payload fuel into the lifter or lifter fuel into the payload.

For recoverable rocket, can the recovery of the launch vehicle be conducted in multiple phases instead of in one go?

As in, instead of a SSTO rocket that goes into orbit, release payload then come back all in one piece. Can you have a mission architecture where a SSTO rocket goes into orbit, release the payload then separate into multiple sections where each section then makes its own way back to KSC?

I have a design like that that's nearly completed.

• 2 weeks later...

Since no one is putting their hands up for recoverable rocket category I figure I'll get us started:

Presenting Hurricane Duo Block II:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128674-stock-105-hurricane-launch-vehicle-family/

Spoiler

huf7s3.jpg
Vehicle on the launch pad, 624.402 tons at lift off.

j8lg6v.jpg
Starting gravity turn at 600m

1gn14i.jpg
Vehicle at 10,000m, pitching down to 40 degrees above the horizon, TWR is at 1.90 and increasing rapidly.

110atqh.jpg
Peak heat load during ascent just after MECO, AP is now at 75km. Starting coast phase.

296iwx.jpg
Circularisation burn just before the AP.

2l8zz7r.jpg
75km x 75km orbit achieved.

2mwxxqq.jpg
Payload release, payload mass is 97.095 tons. I kept ET attached to one of the Aurora boosters because I wanted to keep the ET battery full for reentry.

2prxuth.jpg
ET detach from booster and beginning deorbit burn after orbit once around.

fcmcmc.jpg
Peak heat load during ET reentry

oadxdg.jpg
ET parachute fully deployed, it's capable of both splashdown and landing on dry land.

116tao6.jpg
ET after safe splashdown near the Island Airfield, ready to be recovered.

sg5stv.jpg
Aurora 1 deorbit burn after 2 orbits, you can see Aurora 2 and payload some distance away.

20r4cv8.jpg
Aurora 1 experiencing peak heat load during high AoA reentry.

24lim1f.jpg
Aurora 1 approaching KSC runway with air brakes deployed.

2roozye.jpg
Aurora 1 shortly before touch down.

id7m6o.jpg
Aurora 1 safe on the runway ready to be recovered.

5eelae.jpg
Aurora 2 beginning deorbit burn, the thing next to it is the payload.

2yxowph.jpg
Aurora 2 approaching KSC.

16lb6tj.jpg
Aurora 2 safely back at KSC.

97.095 / 624.402 = 15.55% payload fraction by my calculation.

Should be plenty of opportunity for increasing that payload fraction too, although this is first and foremost intended as an operational vehicle to achieve low cost/ton to orbit. This particular vehicle will give you $478.28/ton to orbit or more depending on how good you are at landing the ET near KSC.

I got another one for recoverable rocket, Hurricane Trio Block III:

Spoiler

2vux4pl.jpg
Whole stock on the launch pad, 942.350 tons

30wmrg5.jpg
Gravity turn at 10km.

nvt9gn.jpg
Circularisation burn

2dj7z1c.jpg
Payload release, payload is 146.795 tons

wh8wn.jpg
External Tank deorbit burn.

qp3yao.jpg
External tank, high alpha reentry.

34ywriu.jpg
External Tank, just before touch down.

30adqhs.jpg
External Tank, safely stopped on the runway ready to be recovered.

The three Aurora Winged Boosters are 100% identical to my previous entry so I won't go into too much detail about their deorbit burn or reentry.

2s0kdoj.jpg
Aurora 1 approaching KSC.

2a82kq9.jpg
Aurora 1 ready to be recovered.

2z9cmfs.jpg
Aurora 2, approaching KSC for an evening landing. It use to take me a few quick loads to get the landing down pat, but now I've done it so many times I was confident to both get it down in one go and attempt a night landing. These winged boosters are still not exactly gliders but they are also well behaved enough that landing them is not that much different from landing a regular airplane, despite the CGCP mismatch (ie CoM all the way at the back with that heavy engine and no cockpit).

2i1l8cx.jpg
Aurora 2 on the runway ready to be recovered.
9hjtpy.jpg
Aurora 3, approaching KSC in the dead of the night.

23ml9hx.jpg
Aurora 3, ready to be recovered.

146.795 / 942.350 = 15.57%. Only a hair higher payload fraction than my previous entry. But I thought it was worth entering this as it has a much more advanced ET recovery system which means now the whole launch vehicle is 100% recoverable. I haven't run through the numbers but I suspect since the fuel is now the only cost we're looking at under $400 per ton to orbit, so certainly we now have a rocket with the same ballpark cost per ton to orbit figure as your garden variety SSTO spaceplanes.

My single vector rocket "Long Stick" was meant as an entry in the Rocket Only category.   Will you add it? :kiss:

I have been trying to beet the reusable score for a while and finally done it. With the "Stingray Mk12"

Payload fraction: 56.04%

It has 6 rapiers and one Nerv.

5 hours ago, Nefrums said:

My single vector rocket "Long Stick" was meant as an entry in the Rocket Only category.   Will you add it? :kiss:

I have been trying to beet the reusable score for a while and finally done it. With the "Stingray Mk12"

Payload fraction: 56.04%

It has 6 rapiers and one Nerv.

Great job, @Nefrums

I like that nosecone you created. Genius! 

6 hours ago, Val said:

Great job, @Nefrums

I like that nosecone you created. Genius! 

Thanks!

The "nocecone" consists of a 2.5m faring, 2 small ore tanks and a shielded docking port.  I got better performance from this then I got from a C7 adapter and a shielded docking port. 

The shielded docking port still have terrible drag, but it is the only part that can handle the heat.

It was a bit tricky to balance the ships CoM/CoL both with full fuel tanks + payload and with empty tanks without payload.

Edited by Nefrums

1. Keep the ship pointing very close to prograde 
  2. have a part that can handle the heat on the front of the ship.  I have only found two parts that can do this: the shielded docking port and a heat shield.  Both have terrible drag, but the docking port is slightly better

1 hour ago, Hexlord said:

Just to clarify, when you say the decoupler must stay with the lifter, does this simply mean I place the decoupler in reverse? Or am I over thinking this and a normal staged decouple is accepted?

You're over thinking it. It's just the normal way where the decoupler stays with the Rocket and not count as part of the payload. 

Awesome job @Nefrums, that's a creative entry :D.

Now that I'm kind of off my Fallout binge I'm back to playing KSP.  Just dug up an optimized revision of my previous design that I never published, so stay tuned :wink:.

Edited by tewpie

2 hours ago, tewpie said:

Awesome job @Nefrums, that's a creative entry :D.

Now that I'm kind of off my Fallout binge I'm back to playing KSP.  Just dug up an optimized revision of my previous design that I never published, so stay tuned :wink:.

I also spend a few weeks in that binge :rolleyes:

Locking forward to you giving me a reason to continue development of my entry :)   

As i had ~90 dV left in orbit I think that I could just add some more ore in the payload. And the nosecones I used for the rapiers might not be the best, so I feel that I still have some room for improvement.

Edited by Nefrums

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.