[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

2 minutes ago, Antonio432 said:

Wat :o

What it says on the tin :wink:  though it's an MKS thing

It's a case where a different set of Kerbals could arrive at a destination than the ones who originally set out.  Though unless you have homesickness cause perma-death, you'd end up with a lot of grumpy relatives.  Either that or just jettison them...

(Though on an unrelated note....  Colony Mishaps are on the MKS agenda, now that Colony Growth is a thing to counter-balance it)

5 minutes ago, Urses said:

Take 2 Kerbals of opposite gender in a colonisation Module, press "Colony Growth" and wait a Kerbalyear:cool:

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

What it says on the tin :wink:  though it's an MKS thing

Well, I didn't expect this feature in KSP. Anyway I think Kerbal Breeding Program will be more usefull in my colonies rather than interplanetary transfers, landings and returns. Since I already need to haul an immense mass to survive an interplanetary trip, I should make the most of it. Alongside a lander of course, I'll bring probes to make a comm system and to explore Ike aswell.

Edited by Antonio432

1 minute ago, Antonio432 said:

Well, I didn't expect this feature in KSP. Anyway I think Kerbal Breeding Program will be more usefull in my colonies rather than interplanetary transfers, landings and returns. Since I already need to haul an immense mass to survive an interplanetary trip, I should make the most of it. Alongside a lander of course, I'll bring probes to make a comm system and to explore Ike aswell.

A lot less mass than you think.  With a greenhouse you're already at a 10:1 ratio because of fertilizer use (it's lossless, so you just need a modest initial stock of supplies).  Add in recyclers, and your supply consumption is way down.  Then it's a matter of the right mix of hab extenders and hab multipliers.  MKS has a wide array of both, including many (like the hab ring) that are suitable for large interplanetary vessels.

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

A lot less mass than you think.  With a greenhouse you're already at a 10:1 ratio because of fertilizer use (it's lossless, so you just need a modest initial stock of supplies).  Add in recyclers, and your supply consumption is way down.  Then it's a matter of the right mix of hab extenders and hab multipliers.  MKS has a wide array of both, including many (like the hab ring) that are suitable for large interplanetary vessels.

Yeah, it just sounds heavy because alot of things are involved in reducing mass. Combined with the fact the vehicle needs to be much bigger and travelling takes a lot longer in a Solar System scaled career.

Edited by Antonio432

@Antonio432

The coolest content with USI may be a Asteroid bleeding long range spaceship. Dock on a small asteroid and bleed it for fuel and fetiliser. LS and engines works and you can go everywhere. And thank's to Rover's Muse we have Asteroid Technologies like Massdrivers. And if one runs dry there are many other around ;-)

6 minutes ago, Urses said:

@Antonio432

The coolest content with USI may be a Asteroid bleeding long range spaceship. Dock on a small asteroid and bleed it for fuel and fetiliser. LS and engines works and you can go everywhere. And thank's to Rover's Muse we have Asteroid Technologies like Massdrivers. And if one runs dry there are many other around ;-)

That is so cool. It reminds me of that guy who proposed an idea that humanity will exploit asteroids for space travel in the future. His idea though was to hollow them out to use as habitats and make fuel out of them rather than make fertilizer out of them. He imagined that we would be able to go anywhere in the Solar System by Asteroid hopping.

Edited by Antonio432

1 minute ago, Antonio432 said:

That is so cool. It reminds me of that guy who proposed an idea that humanity will exploit asteroids for space travel in the future. His idea though was to hollow them out to use as habitats and make fuel out of them rather than make fertilizer out of them.

ART includes a hatch that lets you use a hollow asteroid as living space - though I should really extend that a bit more

5 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

ART includes a hatch that lets you use a hollow asteroid as living space - though I should really extend that a bit more

So I'll be able to recreate the proposed asteroid exploitation entirely! I can already make fuel out of them in the stock game but mods enable them being used as habs and fertilizer sources. This means infinite life support and fuel as long as I can grab additional asteroids. Though they can't be found far from Kerbin in most cases. I can use Dresteroids and Custom Asteroids for exploitation though. Wow. That is a huge exploit. It opens a whole new way of travelling. 

Edited by Antonio432

1 hour ago, Antonio432 said:

So I'll be able to recreate the proposed asteroid exploitation entirely! I can already make fuel out of them in the stock game but mods enable them being used as habs and fertilizer sources. This means infinite life support and fuel as long as I can grab additional asteroids. Though they can't be found far from Kerbin in most cases. I can use Dresteroids and Custom Asteroids for exploitation though. Wow. That is a huge exploit. It opens a whole new way of travelling. 

Can't you find asteroids everywhere with that telescope from the Asteroid Day mod?

Hi @RoverDude, I noticed that once the mulch container is filled Jeb goes on a self imposed vacation (I caught him playing Sudoku). I thought Veteran Kerbals didn't sit there twiddling their thumbs after they run out of resources? Although I had plenty of supplies, the mulch container was filled and the two life support units were working at 100%. 

Edit 1: Never mind, I found the USI-LS settings and changed the vets from 1 to 0.

Edit 2: It isn't obeying the boolean for 'Home Sickness'

Edited by Eskandare

3 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Colony Mishaps? Sounds intriguing. What are colony mishaps?

Something I am fleshing out details for now :wink:  But in line with the idea of transforming bases from just 'something you build' to 'hubs of activity'

3 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@RoverDude not sure how you feel about this but would you ever consider adding something based on age that would cause retirement/death of Kerbals that have been around forever?

Sure, it would make sense and make ark ships more interesting.

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Can't you find asteroids everywhere with that telescope from the Asteroid Day mod?

I believe so, though getting to them might be a pain

3 hours ago, Eskandare said:

Hi @RoverDude, I noticed that once the mulch container is filled Jeb goes on a self imposed vacation (I caught him playing Sudoku). I thought Veteran Kerbals didn't sit there twiddling their thumbs after they run out of resources? Although I had plenty of supplies, the mulch container was filled and the two life support units were working at 100%. 

Edit 1: Never mind, I found the USI-LS settings and changed the vets from 1 to 0.

Edit 2: It isn't obeying the boolean for 'Home Sickness'

Can you explain edit 2 please?

Had a strange thing happen, game locked up after a Kerbal (Valentina) exploded in space from being out on EVA for too long.  I switched to her from the tracking station after her EVA time had run out, so I knew she would be a goner.  After she *poofed*, I tried to go straight back to the tracking station using the KSP interface.  Game seemed to be trying to load it, but hung.  Here's the log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwS8HpVnXfpJTGZIWG1Fa1VKU0U/view?usp=sharing

6 hours ago, Sarxis said:

Had a strange thing happen, game locked up after a Kerbal (Valentina) exploded in space from being out on EVA for too long.  I switched to her from the tracking station after her EVA time had run out, so I knew she would be a goner.  After she *poofed*, I tried to go straight back to the tracking station using the KSP interface.  Game seemed to be trying to load it, but hung.  Here's the log:

Are you sure this is a USI-LS problem?

On 3/16/2017 at 2:54 AM, Wyzard said:

By default, each crew seat provides 7.5 days of hab time.  Since a trip to the Mun and back only takes about two days, you shouldn't need to do anything special hab-wise.  (Minmus is a different story.)

Well, then I surely did something wrong.

I had a crew of 3 on a ship with a Mk1-2 Command Pod attached to a Mk1 Lander Can, so 4 sits for 3 Kerbals. I've done intensive EVA with all members and crew transfers (testing and practising myself).

Only Jebediah used the lander and the second pilot went grouchy half the way back to Kerbin. I may have wasted time somewhere along the way.

A final note about Hab and Home. How am I supposed to establish a colony on other planets if Kerbals have to get back home (Kerbal)at some point? Just asking :) 

Edited by carlorizzante

Hitchhikers and Cupolas can greatly extend hab time, and if you're using MKS you have a ton of options as well.  If you can get a hab time of 50 years on any vessel, habitation switches to 'indefinite'.  With MKS, there are other options (like habitation extenders, bigger habs, kolonization bonuses, and alternate experience effects).

11 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Are you sure this is a USI-LS problem?

Can't say for certain, but it was a unique instance that I've never had before.  I've also never intentionally 'EVA starved' a kerb before and switched to them to see them poof.  The log has the instance where I switched to Valentina for the last time, followed by a ton of exceptions. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.