[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

6 minutes ago, herman said:

I have a vessel with 2 kerbals, 2 PDD-12 Cupolas, and 3 PDD-10 Hitchhiker Storage containers. In the VAB the calculator says I have 10Y:184D of habitation time, but when I launch the vessel the time instantly goes down to 86D when the launchpad loads.

What am I doing wrong?

After you launch you need to go and turn on the LS system in each of the Hitchhikers and the Cupolas. Just right click on each part and click the button in the menu that says something about LS.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman
grammer

3 minutes ago, herman said:

I have a vessel with 2 kerbals, 2 PDD-12 Cupolas, and 3 PDD-10 Hitchhiker Storage containers. In the VAB the calculator says I have 10Y:184D of habitation time, but when I launch the vessel the time instantly goes down to 86D when the launchpad loads.

What am I doing wrong?

You are activating the (EC eating) habitats on those cupolas and hitchhikers, right?

I'm having an issue where my veteran kerbals are being affected by homesickness even though the config setting is turned off for that feature.  I sent Bill to Minmus and he gets homesick and won't work.

Here's my config file

Spoiler

LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS
{
    SupplyTime = 324000            //How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no supplies
    ECTime = 324000                //How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no EC
    EVATime = 21600                //How many seconds before ill effects on EVA
    ECAmount = 0.01                //EC per Kerbal per second                        
    SupplyAmount = 0.0005        //Supplies consumed per Kerbal per second
    WasteAmount = 0.0005        //Mulch produced per Kerbal per second
    NoSupplyEffect = 1            //Effect if a Kerbal has no supplies
    NoSupplyEffectVets = 0        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no supplies
    NoECEffect = 1                //Effect if a Kerbal has no EC
    NoECEffectVets = 0            //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no EC
    EVAEffect = 1                //Effect if a Kerbal exceeds EVA time        
    EVAEffectVets = 0            //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and exceeds EVA time
    NoHomeEffect = 0            //Effect if a Kerbal becomes homesick
    NoHomeEffectVets = 0        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and becomes homesick
    HabMultiplier = 1            //Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)
    HomeWorldAltitude = 25000    //Altitude on Kerbin that negative effects are removed
    BaseHabTime = 1                //How long can 1 crew capacity support 1 Kerbal, expressed in Kerbal Months
    ReplacementPartAmount = 0    //How fast life support equipment and habs 'wears out'
    HabRange = 150                //How close we need to be to use other vessel's habitation modules and recyclers.
    EnableRecyclers = true        //Use resource recyclers?  Not the same as resource converteres like greenhouses!
    VetNames = Jebediah,Valentina,Bill,Bob    
    ScoutHabTime = 9180000
    PermaHabTime = 459000000

17 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Life Support Settings are only used as defaults for a new game, and take the most pessimistic subset.  Look at what it says in the Life support settings screen at the AC.

Thanks.  I didn't realize existing games had to be changed in game.  

I having a hard time with EC consumption, I have a small station around Mun with enough battery for dark side transit and more than enough solar panels. but if the vessel is not loaded, EC only goes down. I can keep them in there as long as Supplies/Hab/Home timers run out. Seems a little odd

36 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

I having a hard time with EC consumption, I have a small station around Mun with enough battery for dark side transit and more than enough solar panels. but if the vessel is not loaded, EC only goes down. I can keep them in there as long as Supplies/Hab/Home timers run out. Seems a little odd

Since you mention the vessel not being loaded, I'm guessing you're tracking EC usage through the USI-LS toolbar button? It's only an estimate, and doesn't track generation. When you return to the vessel in question, the game's catch-up mechanics should figure out how much EC you would have produced since the last time you were in physics range.

2 minutes ago, Merkov said:

Since you mention the vessel not being loaded, I'm guessing you're tracking EC usage through the USI-LS toolbar button? It's only an estimate, and doesn't track generation. When you return to the vessel in question, the game's catch-up mechanics should figure out how much EC you would have produced since the last time you were in physics range.

Ah ok! Thanks!! Just thought I had lost Val Bill and Bob :o

23 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Now that was cutting it close.  I hate it when they get stranded around minmus.

I did a flyby of Minmus and, having forgotten to EVA two of the crew, they went tourist just as I was entering Kerbin orbit on the return journey.  Jeb smacked them upside the head and they wisely returned to work at 20km during the reentry.

The kerbals on my science station have been resupplied but they're stuck as tourists. The GUI says they have 35 days of supplies, and I even tried setting "no effect" for supply shortages. How do I get them back to work?

edit: brought them back to Kerbin for a crew rotation and they came back to work on reentry.

Edited by DocRockwell

2 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

The kerbals on my science station have been resupplied but they're stuck as tourists. The GUI says they have 35 days of supplies, and I even tried setting "no effect" for supply shortages. How do I get them back to work?

edit: brought them back to Kerbin for a crew rotation and they came back to work on reentry.

You exceeded their home timer, not their hab timer, perhaps?

8 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

Just to make the comment: Changing the settings effects *future* effects, not present effects.  It will never return Kerbals to service (or life) who are currently out of service.

It sounds like you probably exceeded their hab or home timer - hard to tell for sure.  If you were able to grab the LS window while they were still up there we could likely have told you, I think.

But rotating them home is the correct way to get them back.  :wink:

Umbra Space Industries is hiring!

Well, not really hiring since we have an operating budget of zero... but you get the idea :D

So here's the deal.

I have a lot of mods... Hundreds of parts, and tons of code.  Not to mention things like config files, compatibility layers, etc. - and a pretty sizeable backlog of ideas, changes, and feedback to execute on.  

For several years now, it's been a solo operation, supplemented by hundreds of pull requests from dozens of contributors.  What I am looking for is a handful of passionate folks to help form a middle ground between these two extremes, and move USI from being a solo effort into a team model.  Part of this is just the reality of having more ideas and designs than time, and part is making sure that if I am hit by a bus, there's a clear path of continuing the work I've started.

Specifically, I'd like to get a few folks who are interested in being involved on a regular, more formal basis.  Of course this is a lot more than just 'hey, can you code this or model this'.  Rather, I'm interested in folks who are as passionate about KSP and the USI offerings as I am, and who want a direct hand in helping shape the direction the constellation takes.  

We'll hash through design, prioritize stuff we'd like to see in the constellation, and work together to bundle stuff for regular releases - whether that's updating old content, or creating new stuff.  

The specific skills folks should have would be... well.. all of them :)  C# Developers, modelers, texture artists, or folks interested in setting up better compatibility patches, etc.

The ideal team mate would be someone who has solid technical chops and wants to be part of a team, especially if they are skilled in one area (say, modeling) but could use the support of a developer (or vice versa).  

There's not much fine print here, other than to reiterate that this really is a mod-team effort, not solicitation for one-off contributors (we have tons of folks that do that already, and it is greatly appreciated!).  As such, I'd expect USI to be the primary effort.  So if you're actively working on your own stand alone mods, we'd probably want to cover how we roll those into the constellation.  So make sure you're comfortable with this before tossing me a PM :wink:

And that's it.  If you're interested, send me a PM and we can talk.  To reiterate, I am really looking to assemble a solid team.  It helps the longevity of the USI mods (in case I get hit by a bus), and provides an opportunity for some great collaboration.

3 minutes ago, DocRockwell said:

Thanks! That was the issue, setting up my station with additional habitation modules.

What's the most efficient way to sustain a station? Nom-o-matics + fertilizer + recyclers?

Yep, some combination of those, based on the lifespan of the station

7 hours ago, RoverDude said:

The specific skills folks should have would be... well.. all of them :)  C# Developers, modelers, texture artists, or folks interested in setting up better compatibility patches, etc.

Arg, you lost me when you specified that you need people with skills :P

7 hours ago, RoverDude said:

(in case I get hit by a bus)

Please don't get hit by a bus. 

I am having an issue with my game. I had both MKS and Life Support installed, but right before my last mission I decided to uninstall MKS. I uninstalled MKS, then made a change to Settings.cfg in the LifeSupport folder, here are my current settings:

LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS
{
	SupplyTime = 324000			//How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no supplies
	ECTime = 324000				//How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no EC
	EVATime = 21600				//How many seconds before ill effects on EVA
	ECAmount = 0.01				//EC per Kerbal per second						
	SupplyAmount = 0.0005		//Supplies consumed per Kerbal per second
	WasteAmount = 0.0005		//Mulch produced per Kerbal per second
	NoSupplyEffect = 1			//Effect if a Kerbal has no supplies
	NoSupplyEffectVets = 1		//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no supplies
	NoECEffect = 1				//Effect if a Kerbal has no EC
	NoECEffectVets = 1			//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no EC
	EVAEffect = 1				//Effect if a Kerbal exceeds EVA time		
	EVAEffectVets = 1			//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and exceeds EVA time
	NoHomeEffect = 0			//Effect if a Kerbal becomes homesick
	NoHomeEffectVets = 0		//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and becomes homesick
	HabMultiplier = 1			//Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)
	HomeWorldAltitude = 25000	//Altitude on Kerbin that negative effects are removed
	BaseHabTime = 1			//How long can 1 crew capacity support 1 Kerbal, expressed in Kerbal Months
	ReplacementPartAmount = 0	//How fast life support equipment and habs 'wears out'
	HabRange = 150				//How close we need to be to use other vessel's habitation modules and recyclers.
	EnableRecyclers = true		//Use resource recyclers?  Not the same as resource converteres like greenhouses!
	ScoutHabTime = 9180000
	PermaHabTime = 459000000
}

Even though I set BaseHabTime = 1 the new ship I built is using a value of 0.25 (the MK-I command module has only 7 days of supplies). I set off for Minmus anyways (since the Homesick effect is off) and on day 7 my Kerbals (Valentina and Bob) are now homesick and have become tourists...

Where did I mess up here? I have no MKS folder anymore, so it's not a settings conflict. Need some help please!

4 minutes ago, Coachbalrog said:

I am having an issue with my game. I had both MKS and Life Support installed, but right before my last mission I decided to uninstall MKS. I uninstalled MKS, then made a change to Settings.cfg in the LifeSupport folder, here are my current settings:

LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS
{
	SupplyTime = 324000			//How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no supplies
	ECTime = 324000				//How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no EC
	EVATime = 21600				//How many seconds before ill effects on EVA
	ECAmount = 0.01				//EC per Kerbal per second						
	SupplyAmount = 0.0005		//Supplies consumed per Kerbal per second
	WasteAmount = 0.0005		//Mulch produced per Kerbal per second
	NoSupplyEffect = 1			//Effect if a Kerbal has no supplies
	NoSupplyEffectVets = 1		//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no supplies
	NoECEffect = 1				//Effect if a Kerbal has no EC
	NoECEffectVets = 1			//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no EC
	EVAEffect = 1				//Effect if a Kerbal exceeds EVA time		
	EVAEffectVets = 1			//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and exceeds EVA time
	NoHomeEffect = 0			//Effect if a Kerbal becomes homesick
	NoHomeEffectVets = 0		//Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and becomes homesick
	HabMultiplier = 1			//Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)
	HomeWorldAltitude = 25000	//Altitude on Kerbin that negative effects are removed
	BaseHabTime = 1			//How long can 1 crew capacity support 1 Kerbal, expressed in Kerbal Months
	ReplacementPartAmount = 0	//How fast life support equipment and habs 'wears out'
	HabRange = 150				//How close we need to be to use other vessel's habitation modules and recyclers.
	EnableRecyclers = true		//Use resource recyclers?  Not the same as resource converteres like greenhouses!
	ScoutHabTime = 9180000
	PermaHabTime = 459000000
}

Even though I set BaseHabTime = 1 the new ship I built is using a value of 0.25 (the MK-I command module has only 7 days of supplies). I set off for Minmus anyways (since the Homesick effect is off) and on day 7 my Kerbals (Valentina and Bob) are now homesick and have become tourists...

Where did I mess up here? I have no MKS folder anymore, so it's not a settings conflict. Need some help please!

Those files are only used as defaults for new game setup - once a game is started, they have no effect.  If you want to change the effects in your current game you need to change them in the LS window from the KSC view.

12 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Those files are only used as defaults for new game setup - once a game is started, they have no effect.  If you want to change the effects in your current game you need to change them in the LS window from the KSC view.

You, good sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you.

4 hours ago, DStaal said:

Those files are only used as defaults for new game setup - once a game is started, they have no effect.

It would probably be a good idea to put that as a comment in the beginning of the file, since that's not at all obvious.

1 hour ago, jd284 said:

It would probably be a good idea to put that as a comment in the beginning of the file, since that's not at all obvious.

I'll toss up a PR on both the mks and ls githubs. 

Edit: done

Edit #2: is it bad that when I type g into Chrome it autocompletes to the MKS github?

Edited by TheRagingIrishman
#foodforthought

15 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

I'll toss up a PR on both the mks and ls githubs. 

Edit: done

Edit #2: is it bad that when I type g into Chrome it autocompletes to the MKS github?

It's number 3 for me - after just plain Github, and my own github page.

Ive since returned Kerbals who have "gone off duty" and labeled as tourists back home. However I see they're still sitting in the astronaut complex as tourists. Is there something more that needs to be done for them to return to duty? Certain number of days need to pass by? I see some people are having similar issues up above, but none pertain to Kerbals already home it seems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.