[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Well, I've found what I surmise to be a bug (or I'm just missing something)... I can't seem to make more supplies (using MKS) than is consumed; it's as if any supplies made are instantly consumed, as the supplies appear to be consumed at the same rate as without creating supplies. Without any Kerbals, supplies are generated, but with Kerbals, supplies are consumed; I am sure I am creating more supplies than are being consumed, as the production tab in that MKS info window shows production of supplies at a rate greater than I believe the consumption is (1.08 per Kerbal per day, by my estimate). However, I added a test converter module to a part of mine to see if it was actually to do with the supply generation, and that worked (although it just converted a little bit of electric charge to supplies, not using mulch or anything), so I'm not sure if it's a bug or I'm just doing something wrong. I have tried several configurations of MKS modules, which, as mentioned above, worked as long as no Kerbals were in the vessel.

No offense, I need paragraphs or something because that text is incredibly hard to read...

You will not be able to make more supplies than are consumed unless you are on the ground, and bringing in Substrate and Water and using the cultivator module to make more organics. You will also very likely need to make sure you have more hab space (a lot more) than you have Kerbals for the extra organics to supplies conversions

Sorry about the wall of text, I didn't intend for it to be so long...

I did try with the cultivator as well (tested on the launchpad, if that matters), and according to the production tab, I was (at one point) making 3.24 supplies per day (according to the production tab of the info window), with one Kerbal on board (which I think uses 1.08 supplies per day?), and with plenty of electric charge.

Also, since pioneer modules are directly mulch to supplies, without making organics in between, why were supplies still being consumed despite the numbers showing greater creation than consumption should've been? I was testing with 4 pioneer modules for 1 Kerbal. :sticktongue:

Edit: I also messed around with adding habitation, workspaces, etc. to maximise efficiency, my conclusions are based on the numbers presented from the production tab of the MKS info window thing. I've tried many configurations of modules and crew numbers.

Edited by SUPERNERD101

I did notice that, but that shouldn't be it; perhaps the MKS info window is giving a wrong number, then? Right now, I have a ship on the launchpad with 2 pioneer modules (both at 25% efficiency, 2.50% load), an integrated base (for storage), 1 inflatable workspace, and 1 Kerbal. The info window says I'm producing 1.08 supplies per day, but the one Kerbal is still consuming the same amount per day.

Edit: It looks like that's it, decimal in the wrong place or something, perhaps? Running the same setup, I removed the Kerbal (it seems the greenhouses don't require a Kerbal to run if the Kerbal is removed with Ship Manifest), and it takes several days to produce 1 supply, despite the display stating production at 1.08 supplies per day.

kspls.png
Edited by SUPERNERD101

Rover, Could you add a display screen to the VAB/SPH so we can see expected life support of a craft (assuming full occupancy) before we put it on the pad?

Not a big priority with currently, only 3 tanks that seem to hold alot, but eventually it might be a good idea once we have more tanks (or MMs start adjusting other tanks to hold supplies).

(or MMs start adjusting other tanks to hold supplies).

Like this one! :wink:

Finally had a spare moment and put this together:

-Adds supplies to crewed modules (up to 16 kerbals. If you have some crazy mod capsule that carries more, you'll need to add that to the .cfg yourself) (This is dynamic now, so doesn't matter what mods you've got - Thanks futrtrubl!). (50 supplies 15 days of supplies per crew in command modules, 100 supplies 30 days of supplies per crew in non-command modules)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100018891/UmbraSpaceIndustryAdjustments/AddSuppliesToCrewedParts.cfg

License: No restrictions

Combine with adjustments to the Settings.cfg file for USI-LS:

LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS
{
SupplyTime = 32400
CausesDeath = false
ECAmount = 0.01
}

And you can have required supplies right from the get-go.

RoverDude, could you describe how those variables work in game terms? (besides CausesDeath, I think we can figure that one out)

EDIT: Simplified Module Manager .cfg thanks to futrtrubl's suggestion below. Also adjusted values down to more reasonable levels. At 50 supplies, a kerbal could chill in a Mk1 pod for 45 kerbin days without any additional parts or supplies (plus the default time to starve would make it 2 kerbin months before they became dead/inactive). Now it's 15 days + 15 more with default time to starve set.

Edited by JumpsterG
Updated file

-Adds supplies to crewed modules (up to 16 kerbals. If you have some crazy mod capsule that carries more, you'll need to add that to the .cfg yourself). (50 per crew in command modules, 100 per crew in non-command modules)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100018891/UmbraSpaceIndustryAdjustments/AddSuppliesToCrewedParts.cfg

Combine with adjustments to the Settings.cfg file for USI-LS:

LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS
{
SupplyTime = 32400
CausesDeath = false
ECAmount = 0.01
}

And you can have required supplies right from the get-go.

This is awesome, thanks! I tweaked a bit for my own play style. I reduced the parts included in capsules to only 5.4 supplies per kerbal (5 days of supplies time). I also changed the SupplyTime to 21600 (1 day of grace period before grouchiness/death).

Edited by Fedge

I think my non-USI mods are now down to KAS and EP launchpads. I drown in all the KAS options, I only want simple fuel hoses and struts that can be added in space, I dream of those parts of KAS becoming stock :D.

Really happy about a USI life support. I used TAC for.. years (has it really been that long?) which is great. I had some amazing rescue moments with TAC because put jr docking ports on everything and had small amounts of life support on all my probes "just in case" but I had a few horrible moments too. This one feels more in line with the vision for stock KSP rather than full realism, depth instead of just difficulty.

Like this one! :wink:

-Adds supplies to crewed modules (up to 16 kerbals. If you have some crazy mod capsule that carries more, you'll need to add that to the .cfg yourself). (50 per crew in command modules, 100 per crew in non-command modules)

Just so you know your supplies code can be simply replaced with:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[>0]]
{
RESOURCE
{
name= Supplies
maxAmount = 50
@maxAmount *= #$/CrewCapacity$
amount = #$maxAmount$
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[>0]]
{
RESOURCE
{
name= Supplies
maxAmount = 100
@maxAmount *= #$/CrewCapacity$
amount = #$maxAmount$
}
}

This will work with any number of crew.

I think my non-USI mods are now down to KAS and EP launchpads. I drown in all the KAS options, I only want simple fuel hoses and struts that can be added in space, I dream of those parts of KAS becoming stock :D.

Really happy about a USI life support. I used TAC for.. years (has it really been that long?) which is great. I had some amazing rescue moments with TAC because put jr docking ports on everything and had small amounts of life support on all my probes "just in case" but I had a few horrible moments too. This one feels more in line with the vision for stock KSP rather than full realism, depth instead of just difficulty.

Glad you dig it!

Side note, may be able to narrow that list of yours down to one eventually ;)

Wow, Roverdude you never cease to amaze us. ;^)

A great mod, which hits the right place between TACS and Snacks as you mentioned. I repurposed some modules in universal storage to store supplies and recycle mulch, and so far seems to be working pretty well!

Find something strange. I send Jeb, bill and bob to minmus, they get to the SOI after a 16d fligh. and now bill and bob are behaving like tourist. but not Jeb.

i made a test with only bill and bob. and after 16d they go into tourist mode.

I assume you link this behaviour to the badS flag? wich bill and bob don't have.

Find something strange. I send Jeb, bill and bob to minmus, they get to the SOI after a 16d fligh. and now bill and bob are behaving like tourist. but not Jeb.

i made a test with only bill and bob. and after 16d they go into tourist mode.

I assume you link this behaviour to the badS flag? wich bill and bob don't have.

Seems that would be the case. So maybe the info needs to be changed that only BadAsses can go on without supplies.

//Vacation time! The lone exception are our badasses.
if (crew.isBadass)
return;

You could check by name instead.

keeping the badass check could be fun though. would work with the normal kerbal that get that flag. and as you don't have any way to know wich one ( unless you go read your savefiles) could make some nice moment. like: "ohhh crap we forgot the supplies. and then you discover that one of your kerbal is a badass and still continue over even if he is super hungry".

Rover, you may want to consider changing the name of your dll... I think the ECLSS Life Support pack is already using "LifeSupport". Probably going to cause some confusion for MM if you don't, especially for something like Universal Storage which uses MM patches to dynamically adjust based on what it finds installed.

Just so you know your supplies code can be simply replaced with:

...Awesome...

This will work with any number of crew.

Thank you! I knew there was a proper way to do this, but couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I finally looked at Snacks!, and at least one other old Life Support mod that had MM cfgs to see how they did it, and found that they both used the ugly copy-paste method. When I get around to it, I will update that file.

- - - Updated - - -

This is awesome, thanks! I tweaked a bit for my own play style. I reduced the parts included in capsules to only 5.4 supplies per kerbal (5 days of supplies time). I also changed the SupplyTime to 21600 (1 day of grace period before grouchiness/death).

Oh wow. I just pretended a portion of the small holding tank could fit under a kerbal seat. I didn't realize I was defaulting capsules to over 45 days Life support all on their own. As you show it's easy to edit, though. :)

Thank you! I knew there was a proper way to do this, but couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I finally looked at Snacks!, and at least one other old Life Support mod that had MM cfgs to see how they did it, and found that they both used the ugly copy-paste method. When I get around to it, I will update that file.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow. I just pretended a portion of the small holding tank could fit under a kerbal seat. I didn't realize I was defaulting capsules to over 45 days Life support all on their own. As you show it's easy to edit, though. :)

This mod looks promising! I have a few questions, though: what is the rate of comsumption? 1 unit per day? If this is the case, 50 units per crew on each capsule would indeed be too much. But 5.4 would mean 5.4 days instead of only 5, wouldn't it?

Hey, great piece of code, BTW!

Hey Rover,

I've a strange request.

Asmi's ECLSS life support mod is already using the name LifeSupport.dll, with USI Life Support using the same name it makes is a pain to write modulemanager files to tweak parts, depending on what's installed.

Could you change it to USILifeSupport.dll or something to differentiate from ECLSS?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.