[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

I'm having issues with this mod.

I am using it along with MKS/OKS. The Pioneer module requires mulch, but I can't find any parts that make mulch. I know that it supposedly has a mulcher in it. How do utilize that?

Install Kerbals :P

They eat Supplies (N.O.M.S.) and produce mulch :P

There is no "competition" per se.

But but but...this is an afront to the hard core of all hard core core players of hard mode coreness. THIS SCREAMS hatred of the core of hardness into their minds and they much deny its soft and squishy nature with all things that is HARD CORE!!#@!$!@!@!

After writing that, I can not stop laughing.

They're eating the Supplies, but I don't know if they're making mulch. I don't see any organics being made.

They only make the mulch if you A. Have a container for the mulch to go in and B. Are using MKS to do anything with it and may be even to see it. Other wise...assume it is vented into space.

They only make the mulch if you A. Have a container for the mulch to go in and B. Are using MKS to do anything with it and may be even to see it. Other wise...assume it is vented into space.

I figured out how to make them make mulch, but the greenhouse in the Pioneer module turns it into supplies and not organics.

I thought it was supposed to turn into organics.

I figured out how to make them make mulch, but the greenhouse in the Pioneer module turns it into supplies and not organics.

I thought it was supposed to turn into organics.

Something may have changed or the Pioneer unit converts right to supplies, but that is why it is only 25% efficient compared to other methods with a higher efficiency.

I think Minmus illustrates the need. A proper surface exploration sits right at the duration of not bringing food, but adding any at all adds 0.6t and gets you enough food for a year. That's a harsh inflection point early in career mode. I'd actually put a 30 day or so supply in a radial tank at 0.05t, where you can add 2-4 radially for moderately longer in-Kerbin SOI missions and put that in the existing tech node where the parts are, and move the inline parts out a tier. A year of life support is non-trivial to do relative to 30 days. It's not just the mass and volume, but also keeping it preserved and uncontaminated and all that and so it should take at least a bit more R&D before you can chuck off to Duna for a year.

So I'm trying to become a recovering TAS LS addict... After reading the posts I'm pretty sure I get it, I think...

Could someone just give me the basics on MKS/OKS w/ TAC to USI LS conversion ? What is it that I need to change in my head in order to make this swap?

A year of life support is non-trivial to do relative to 30 days. It's not just the mass and volume, but also keeping it preserved and uncontaminated and all that and so it should take at least a bit more R&D before you can chuck off to Duna for a year.

Long-lifespan (1-year shelf life plus) canned food is early-19th century technology, and given cool and stable storage temperature, canned food can last quite a while:

In 1974, samples of canned food from the wreck of the Bertrand, a steamboat that sank in the Missouri River in 1865, were tested by the National Food Processors Association. Although appearance, smell and vitamin content had deteriorated, there was no trace of microbial growth and the 109 year-old food was determined to be still safe to eat.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning)

What late-20th century R&D gives you is a better mass ratio of food to packaging - thinner and lighter cans, foil pouches, etc. - and generally greater variety and quality.

I think Minmus illustrates the need. A proper surface exploration sits right at the duration of not bringing food, but adding any at all adds 0.6t and gets you enough food for a year. That's a harsh inflection point early in career mode. I'd actually put a 30 day or so supply in a radial tank at 0.05t, where you can add 2-4 radially for moderately longer in-Kerbin SOI missions and put that in the existing tech node where the parts are, and move the inline parts out a tier. A year of life support is non-trivial to do relative to 30 days. It's not just the mass and volume, but also keeping it preserved and uncontaminated and all that and so it should take at least a bit more R&D before you can chuck off to Duna for a year.

You know...no one said you need to bring ALL the food in the can did they? You can tweak the can so you only need to take what you need. That said I see a point, may be put a request into Rovers bug tracker for a small part size container you can place radially or into the Service Bay that way we can use existing space with out needing to extend the craft. May be a can of Chef Kerbardee Spaghetti.

The Bertrand was presumably safely inside the Van Allen radiation belts during that entire period. And while the food didn't spoil, diminished nutritional value can't be dismissed.

A fair bit of the work done on long shelf life, low packaging food was justified by the space program, so including it as part of the tech tree isn't unreasonable. Freeze drying was first developed during WWII to ensure that blood could be shipped to the front lines from the US without spoiling. It wasn't really used for food until the space program.

- - - Updated - - -

You know...no one said you need to bring ALL the food in the can did they? You can tweak the can so you only need to take what you need.

True. But it still strikes me as odd that we'd go from 'sorry you can't bring any food with you' to 'here, we found this in an apocalypse prepper's bunker - take all of it'. Seems like logically there would be something in between. I'm expecting to use a Universal Storage wedge in a lot of situations, but I think that there should be something native to the mod.

Is there no current way to generate mulch other than shipping it up in containers? I tried to use the Pioneer module to create mulch, but there doesn't seem to be an option for it.

Why do you want to make mulch? Mulch comes from Kerbals...

This is simple and nice. Just to clarify: this will conflict with TAC?

(also... is AMT working now?)

Nope, no conflict

So I'm trying to become a recovering TAS LS addict... After reading the posts I'm pretty sure I get it, I think...

Could someone just give me the basics on MKS/OKS w/ TAC to USI LS conversion ? What is it that I need to change in my head in order to make this swap?

Just replace Food/Water/Oxygen with Supplies, Waste/Wastewater/CO2 with Mulch :)

Nice mod again Roverdude, been using it since the release and seems to work fine. I like the balance between TAC and snacks(tried them both).

I modded the tanks so they store mulch because I like to run some resupply mission to stations and do some housekeeping. And made a converter for the mulch to supplies (2:1 ratio with some EC) for the longer duration journeys .

Looking forward to the radial tank, would be a nice addition.

Keep up the good work!

After a year of frustration with 'that other life support mod', I found this refreshing. May I suggest;

Kerbals go on strike after six days; a little longer than Apollo 13. Granted 'days' is a relative unit, but the point being that currently I have no meaningful time restraint on a Mun mission.

Make a mini Radial that amounts to a soup can complete with a corrugated texture, just enough to hold two or three kilograms of NOMS. The 'small is beautiful' crowd will love you.

Some mechanism for rationing NOMS so that my pilot continues to eat while the engineer and scientist complain after a botched re-entry attempt that slings us back around for another week.

It may be possible to exploit this system by launching a craft with a minimal supply of NOMS, disabling their consumption, cruising on drone autopilot to Jool, enabling consumption, and then conducting the mission after a light snack. Actually, it seems I can do this at present. You may want Kerbals who go on strike to build up a 'debt' of NOMS requirements equal to 1/2 of their waking consumption, which they have to clear in a huge pizza party binge to resume normal function. I can see this being a sort of 'suspended animation' mechanic.

I thought orange suit kerbals were immune? One of mine just refused to work and became a tourist. :(

Now I have no way to help him because the craft he's on has no docking port. I'll have to wait until I get the grab claw I guess.

I thought orange suit kerbals were immune? One of mine just refused to work and became a tourist. :(

Now I have no way to help him because the craft he's on has no docking port. I'll have to wait until I get the grab claw I guess.

Or use the brilliant KIS mod to slap that docking port on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.