[1.3] The Plugin Workshop - Small plugins of varied function

Crzyrndm

Dynamic Deflection - Download/Source

The control authority a plane needs from it's control surfaces may vary over the length of a flight. At low altitude or high speed, the deflection we have may be too high causing excessive G loadings, but we can't reduce it because at higher altitudes we need all of that deflection to keep the nose pointing forwards. Currently, the tools we have for this problem focus on changing input scale (fine control, FAR's dynamic control authority (DCA) helper, etc.) which isn't always what is needed. Dynamic Deflection approaches this from a different direction, altering the maximum deflection individual control surfaces can use according to the current dynamic pressure.
Features
  • Maximum control surface deflection varies with dynamic pressure, keeping the vessel response behaviour consistent for SAS (ie. less wobbles) and reducing the chance of unexpectedly blowing yourself up with too much input
  • Each control surface is individually configurable in editor and flight scenes (UI has a button to copy the setup across all modules on the vessel)
  • Default configuration that can be reverted to at any time (or updated)
  • Graph to visualise setup and current state
Editing the deflection variation of a part
  • Hover the mouse over a control surface part
  • Press 'K'
  • In the window that opens, the left column of numbers is the dynamic pressure (Q) in kPa, and the right is the percentage of maximum deflection to allow at that level of Q
  • There is also a revert button to reset your changes, a save button to set your current setup as the default, and a dropdown button to reveal a graph of the % deflection

(Semi-)Saturatable Reaction Wheels - Download/Source

Introducing a (not particularly realistic) saturation mechanic to reaction wheels. As reaction wheels exert torque, stored momentum increases saturating the wheel and decreasing torque output. Over time the stored momentum decays and torque slowly increases back to it's original level.
Features
  • Reaction wheels accumulate momentum with use, torque output is modified based on the current stored momentum
  • Stored momentum "magically" (ie. no basis in real physics) slowly decays over time, recovering the parts torque capabilities. The rate is configurable in the part configuration files (ie. you can turn it off, decrease the rate, or increase the rate to suit your play style)
  • Stored momentum can also be discharged at the expense of propellant. Not enabled by default, change the file extension of ResourceDrain.txt to .cfg to enable

Variable Thrust Limiter - Download/Source

Adds a second thrust limiter to engines with a locked throttle (eg. SRBs). Thrust interpolates between the default limiter and the new limiter based on the % fuel remaining

License for all of the above - GPLv3

Edited by Crzyrndm

I was wondering why the Dynamic Deflection thread was locked, also worried. Glad to see it's back ;']

Hehe. Having 8 mod threads to keep track of was a pain (+ all the sig links meant I went over the 1k character limit... >.>). This way I only have to manage Github and the thread will basically handle itself (much less hassle when I have an idea...)

Edited by Crzyrndm

Something for Dynamic Deflection ( which would take it a bit beyond it's concept but seems relevant ) - any way you could conditionally mix control inputs depending on some other parameter? eg:

* Was watching a SU30 vid - I noticed it used elevators for yaw control at ultra-high AoA ( ie, stalled and falling! ). Mixing yaw into arbitrary control surfaces would enable tail-less craft too but I'm not sure how that works with symmetry.

* Helicopter rotor blades, deflection is a mix of all sorts of things.

You're already mixing a single control input based on a fixed variable, so it doesn't really sound like a big stretch other than managing the parameter definition ( "other than", hah ).

Thank you so much for Thermal Monitor.

I'm actually having problems of overheating exiting the atmosphere with some hypersonic jet's I'm working on. Helps me manage my throttle a lot more efficiently without having to stick a heat shield on the front.

Would it be possible to make a simple mod that adds a small popup window showing the current speed of sound and pressure (maybe mach number, too since it's just a division on current speed)?

Something for Dynamic Deflection ( which would take it a bit beyond it's concept but seems relevant ) - any way you could conditionally mix control inputs depending on some other parameter? eg:

* Was watching a SU30 vid - I noticed it used elevators for yaw control at ultra-high AoA ( ie, stalled and falling! ). Mixing yaw into arbitrary control surfaces would enable tail-less craft too but I'm not sure how that works with symmetry.

* Helicopter rotor blades, deflection is a mix of all sorts of things.

You're already mixing a single control input based on a fixed variable, so it doesn't really sound like a big stretch other than managing the parameter definition ( "other than", hah ).

Can't do it with stock, may look into it once things settle down with FAR

Would it be possible to make a simple mod that adds a small popup window showing the current speed of sound and pressure (maybe mach number, too since it's just a division on current speed)?

NathanKell already made something like this (AeroData IIRC?)

Any chance of your mods going on CKAN? We already have filter extensions and pilot assistant, would be nice to have the full spread.

It's very very handy for the end user.

Edited by John FX
to subscribe

I have a glitch with the last release for 0.90 of DD. With it dropped in an existing install I load a plane I have built previously and landed. When i try to control it none of the control surfaces move at all. The weirdest thing is I tried the latest version for 1.0 and it works fine being dropped in, but get spammed with NRE referencing externaltemp variable that i obviously know is from 1.0 only so isn't present in my 0.90 game. So maybe it is something you have fixed in the latest version(fixed -ve defection on controls surfaces?) I would really appreciate it if this can be fixed for 0.90. If not I am sure FAR will update son and Ill finally play 1.0. Thanks!

I would really appreciate it if this can be fixed for 0.90. If not I am sure FAR will update son and Ill finally play 1.0. Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't keep a 0.90 version of KSP to compile things against so you're kinda stuck waiting for FAR :(

About the reaction wheels, it would be awesome if RCS could reset them.

I imagine a little gauge panel with the three axis and the energy available in each wheel, positive or negative, and a button to reset the wheels.

If RCS and SAS are both active, the wheels will reset (try to rotate the ship) but the SAS will try to keep the ship stable, which means : using the RCS to reset the wheels.

.VtD;1897670']Please add SaneStrategies back

Don't play career anymore' date=' strategies aren't completely off the wall anymore, there's no point in me making it

About the reaction wheels, it would be awesome if RCS could reset them.

I imagine a little gauge panel with the three axis and the energy available in each wheel, positive or negative, and a button to reset the wheels.

If RCS and SAS are both active, the wheels will reset (try to rotate the ship) but the SAS will try to keep the ship stable, which means : using the RCS to reset the wheels.

That would be nice, but it's also not something I plan on doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.