[1.3] The Plugin Workshop - Small plugins of varied function

Crzyrndm

Just wanted to let you know that by request the mod ModActions now supports the optional momentum discharge thruster functionality included with RW saturatable. 

EDIT: Pinging @Crzyrndm in case you want to include a link in the OP.

Edited by Errol

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:44 AM, Crzyrndm said:

All listed mods updated for KSP 1.2.

I will not be updating Analog Control or Thermal Monitor as I no longer find myself using them.

I am ignorant as to what kind of differences exist between KSP v1.2 and v1.2.2 (I run the latter.)  Would it be possible to add a .version file to the zipfile to better illuminate this?  I'm led to understand that this would also assist with AVC and CKAN versioning efforts, as well.

47 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

I am ignorant as to what kind of differences exist between KSP v1.2 and v1.2.2 (I run the latter.)

In a general sense their impact:  KSP 1.2 was a major mod-breaking change.  KSP 1.2.1 was a minor mod-breaking change.  KSP 1.2.2 was a bugfix release only and anything for 1.2.1 has a very very high likelihood of working on 1.2.2.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this mod increase deflection speed of control surfaces?  I.e. if I center joystick it takes a second for control surfaces to return to neutral position, and thus feels a bit sluggish.  Trying to find something that will gives me some Blue Angel snappy responsiveness :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Crzyrndm I'm having an issue with Dynamic Deflection + Pilot Assistant inverting roll inputs.

Things I'm sure of:

• uninstalling Dynamic Deflection got rid of it
  • I first noticed it just after take-off when activating Pilot Assistant heading control
  • when testing to see what had happened I realised it was affecting manual input as well as autopilot (Q banked right etc :confused:)
  • It didn't affect pitch or yaw
  • It affected mored than 1 craft, including stock (Mallard)

I've uninstalled DD for now to avoid trouble, but a fix or some advice would be gratefully recieved :)

On 5/3/2017 at 7:35 AM, The_Rocketeer said:

@Crzyrndm I'm having an issue with Dynamic Deflection + Pilot Assistant inverting roll inputs.

Things I'm sure of:

• uninstalling Dynamic Deflection got rid of it
  • I first noticed it just after take-off when activating Pilot Assistant heading control
  • when testing to see what had happened I realised it was affecting manual input as well as autopilot (Q banked right etc :confused:)
  • It didn't affect pitch or yaw
  • It affected mored than 1 craft, including stock (Mallard)

I've uninstalled DD for now to avoid trouble, but a fix or some advice would be gratefully recieved :)

That's weird, there used to be a similar bug but it was fixed. I think right before 1.2.2 came out. Maybe something changed in how the stock modules handled deflection ranges?

@The_Rocketeer make sure you're using version 1.2.2.2?

Regarding dynamicDeflection: would it make sense to avoid control surface movement with such a Defaults.cfg:

Spoiler

dummy = do not delete me
DynamicDeflection
{
    key = 0,0
    key = 1,100
    key = 40,50
    key = 80,30
    key = 160,25
}

Otherwise id need to use a mod like:

8 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

I may have accidentally done "bad things" (:sealed:) to that fix while refactoring the aero module interface prior to 1.2.2.2

I'll get a new version up shortly

It is not shame to make a mistake from time to time. Shame is to not admitting own mistake and not learning anything from it.
You have nothing to be ashamed for. I hope that you enjoy creating mods as much as others enjoy using it.

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Walk of shame!

And after you found and fixed the issue too -.-. Not my best moment ever (I'm wondering if I did the refactor with out doing a git pull...)

2 hours ago, Blackline said:

Regarding dynamicDeflection: would it make sense to avoid control surface movement with such a Defaults.cfg:

Hide contents

dummy = do not delete me
DynamicDeflection
{
    key = 0,0
    key = 1,100
    key = 40,50
    key = 80,30
    key = 160,25
}

It would probably work. I can't say that I've tested it, but the theory is sound

Edited by Crzyrndm

1 hour ago, Crzyrndm said:

And after you found and fixed the issue too -.-. Not my best moment ever (I'm wondering if I did the refactor with out doing a git pull...)

I've done worse. Probably will again. Recently I worked on a set of fixes for MechJeb. Nothing big, but there were multiple small fixes for the same thing all over. And somehow, one file didn't get committed so when I did the pull request, only half the fix was actually there. And then I accidentally discarded the changed file in Github. So I had to decompile my dll to remind myself of everything I'd changed. I littered the MJ repository with like three pull requests :(

• 2 weeks later...

call me stupid... but if i turn OFF "magical" decay, and turn the txt into .cfg... that makes realistic RWs? or am i misunderstanding?

ok... actually, all of these look like something i'm (sortof) looking for... but im not sure if i understand any of them properly based on whats here... im not good with numbers (innumerate other than counting and spotting patterns), so if someone could give me an einstein "5 year-old" explanation?

Edited by argentrolf

@argentrolf

I would not describe it as realistic ever. This is a far too simplistic model for that. But essentially yes, if you make those two changes you can only regain RW power by either unwinding, or discharging resources

All plugins have now been rebuilt for KSP 1.3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, i like the idea of the dynamic deflection, but in my imagination, shouldnt the stock "Authority Limiter" be affected? I'm not using FAR, thus StockModule is used, and thus-thus changing controlSurface.ctrlSurfaceRange means what? I "think" i saw some SAS overshooting, and stuff like stock SAS or Mechjebs SmartASS would love to see stock values being changed, to account that for their controllers. Or is it just not updating the ingame UI?

EDIT: could you use authorityLimiter instead of ctrlSurfaceRange? And i just tested playing around with the % Deflect values at 0 and 40kPa, and nothing really changed. 1.3 btw.

EDIT2: forked it, need to get VS17 to compile that case ... when stuff... :-)

VT1CjXd.png

EDIT3: love it :D; if you like it @Crzyrndm, i can PR it. Anyone else, the DLL and Defaults.cfg you need for that change is on my fork: https://github.com/blackliner/DynamicControls

1dBQbvt.png

7xMBstR.png

Edited by Blackline

4 hours ago, Blackline said:

Hi there, i like the idea of the dynamic deflection, but in my imagination, shouldnt the stock "Authority Limiter" be affected? I'm not using FAR, thus StockModule is used, and thus-thus changing controlSurface.ctrlSurfaceRange means what? I "think" i saw some SAS overshooting, and stuff like stock SAS or Mechjebs SmartASS would love to see stock values being changed, to account that for their controllers. Or is it just not updating the ingame UI?

EDIT: could you use authorityLimiter instead of ctrlSurfaceRange? And i just tested playing around with the % Deflect values at 0 and 40kPa, and nothing really changed. 1.3 btw.

EDIT2: forked it, need to get VS17 to compile that case ... when stuff... :-)

EDIT3: love it :D; if you like it @Crzyrndm, i can PR it. Anyone else, the DLL and Defaults.cfg you need for that change is on my fork: https://github.com/blackliner/DynamicControls

Those changes are not required for either the stock SAS or MechJeb to see the changes that Dynamic Deflection makes. They see the changes just fine. And how much control does your changes exert over the authority limiter? I, the player, still needs to be able to use that slider. That's for me to use as the End User.

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Those changes are not required for either the stock SAS or MechJeb to see the changes that Dynamic Deflection makes. They see the changes just fine. And how much control does your changes exert over the authority limiter? I, the player, still needs to be able to use that slider. That's for me to use as the End User.

I guess you're right about the SAS'es, but changing the authority limiter gives you a visual feedback. I always was unsure if the mod actually worked, and it seems you can't change the table inflight (maybe that was the problem all along). 

I don't understand your question, all I did was changing from altering the ctrlsurfacerange (in degree) to altering the authoritylimiter property (percentage) to have a visual representation.

• If you can't change settings in flight, that's a bug
  • As @Starwaster mentions, the reason for the choice of field was in order to work side by side with the user control (as this is the only stock control for deflection angles, I don't want to remove that option)

Modifying the settings in flight is the same as in the editor (Place mouse over the control surface and press 'K'). In the flight window, there is also a readout showing the current control percentage, Dynamic Pressure (Q), and a simple graph plotting the input points and the current output (dropdown at the bottom of window)

As far as observing that it's working, my favourite used to be an Aeris 3A (with a whiplash for ease of use)going full throttle and just watching stock SAS shake itself to pieces above ~200m/s. Happy to say that is no longer an issue (well, until you hit ~1000m/s at sea level...) but with that gone and stock still being rather difficult to disintergrate by pulling up too hard, it does make the effect of DD much less compelling.

It's main use now is for FAR (preventing those "oops I pulled up too hard" moments for keyboard players), and making life easier for flight control mods (I basically expect anyone using Pilot Assistant to also use this. It was originally a sub component of PA, I pulled it out as a standalone because it had many uses)

Edited by Crzyrndm

Last night I posted this:

and now I see this:

Dynamic Deflection v1.2.3

@CrzyrndmCrzyrndm released this on 6 May · 2 commits to master since this release

• Actually fix the roll reversal bug

I'm using v1.2.4

Could there be a coincidence?

Edit:

As it seems Dynamic Deflection only works with FAR, I installed the unofficial 1.3 build and now the issue is gone.

Edited by Gordon Dry

The fix is still in place this time :blush:

Test without it to be sure that it is DD (most likely. Not much else fiddles in the same manner...), and a vessel for testing that can reliably reproduce this would be very helpful

So now I just started a sandbox game to test a downloaded aircraft that is made with KSP 1.3 and uses only stock and Airplane Plus parts.

As soon as it's ready on the runway the log is spammed with:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Dynamic_Controls.ModuleDynamicDeflection.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Full log etc.:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1udd9rhj8limq46/2017-06-13-1 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.