P.E.W (A BDArmory Addon)Reactivated Development

1 hour ago, Wolski said:

It would be realy cool to see a m163 vulcan turret and a simple turret for IR anti air missiles

Hi, there is already a Vulcan in BD armory continued, while i have no problems with adding extra parts I'm not really interested in adding things that already exist  elsewhere.  The missile turret is on the list for the next update

8 minutes ago, ItsNotRocketScience said:

Hi Spanner!! Will you release PEW for ksp 1.2?

Indeed I will but I am waiting for the BDAc pro coding team to finish some outstanding issues, particularly relevant to PEW as one of this issues covers radar and camera function both being essential for missiles.  The current version will work in 1.2 but only within the limits of BDAc, If BDAc doesn't work properly niether will PEW, Boomsticks, NAS, NKD, Stryker, BDFPS or any of the other weapon mods. Inevitably if i release a version named for 1.2 I'll be besieged with problems that can only be fixed by fixing BDAc. Luckily I am in a position to intimately know whats going on behind the scenes (which is nice) and all i can say is it will be worth the short wait :) i

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Indeed I will but I am waiting for the BDAc pro coding team to finish some outstanding issues, particularly relevant to PEW as one of this issues covers radar and camera function both being essential for missiles.  The current version will work in 1.2 but only within the limits of BDAc, If BDAc doesn't work properly niether will PEW, Boomsticks, NAS, NKD, Stryker, BDFPS or any of the other weapon mods. Inevitably if i release a version named for 1.2 I'll be besieged with problems that can only be fixed by fixing BDAc. Luckily I am in a position to intimately know whats going on behind the scenes (which is nice) and all i can say is it will be worth the short wait :) i

First of, I meant to say "When will you release..." so sorry if I sounded a bit needy xD And second, you just got me very excited!! I am looking forward for both updated versions of BDAc and PEW! :D Couple other things, where can I find the download for Stryker? Can't seem to find it myself, also is there anywhere I can look up some coding examples for ksp mods? I'd like to look at how mods are coded :) 

I just took it as a general inquiry so no biggy. :)

Stryker provisional is below

And as for the coding of mods, all you need to do is click the source link found in the OP of most mods these days, this will in all likelyhood take you to GitHub, and there you can find the intimate inner details, just download the master zip open it up and pretty much any text editor will open a .cs script file, it's nice if you have one like notepad++  that has language and syntax highlighting, then it's just a matter of working out what it all means :)  sometimes easy and sometimes not so much. For example the sinking mod that i looked at restoring, the code was erm different to say the least, i played with it until i couldn't make any more improvements, showed it to a coding Buddy and he promptly reduced the four pages of code down to one very tidy script that did exactly the same thing :)

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I just took it as a general inquiry so no biggy. :)

Stryker provisional is below

And as for the coding of mods, all you need to do is click the source link found in the OP of most mods these days, this will in all likelyhood take you to GitHub, and there you can find the intimate inner details, just download the master zip open it up and pretty much any text editor will open a .cs script file, it's nice if you have one like notepad++  that has language and syntax highlighting, then it's just a matter of working out what it all means :)  sometimes easy and sometimes not so much. For example the sinking mod that i looked at restoring, the code was erm different to say the least, i played with it until i couldn't make any more improvements, showed it to a coding Buddy and he promptly reduced the four pages of code down to one very tidy script that did exactly the same thing :)

Haha, I have a selection of text editors and IDE's so opening the files shouldn't be a problem :D As for understanding........ I have skimmed C++, know Lua well and trying to learn Python, so I might be able to pick up on some things :P As for clean code.... I am most definitely not good at that xD  Most likely because I'm not a professional software dev lol :P But thanks for the link and the help!

2 minutes ago, ItsNotRocketScience said:

Haha, I have a selection of text editors and IDE's so opening the files shouldn't be a problem :D As for understanding........ I have skimmed C++, know Lua well and trying to learn Python, so I might be able to pick up on some things :P As for clean code.... I am most definitely not good at that xD  Most likely because I'm not a professional software dev lol :P But thanks for the link and the help!

What i should have done in that case, given that you're not a complete novice is point you toward this as well

1 hour ago, Wolski said:

Are you resetting the voting pool every few weeks or does it just stay the same all the time?

Hi, that poll was set up by LordPrometheus  founder and creator of PEW,  LP is currently taking and extended lie down in a dark room and I have stepped in to maintain and update PEW, as such the poll is quite old and not quite relevant ,   PEW is not in a place right now in which I'd be happy to promise to add anything, don't get me wrong it all works, but there's a million and one little things still to be polished before any new additions.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Wolski said:

Hi, I've noticed that both the Harpoon and the Harpoonski anti-ship missiles are GPS guided but in real life they use radar guidance. Is there a purpose for that or is that just a creator's vision? :wink:

Hi.  good question,  the main  reason is that the surface radar guidance is limited to the horizon. so about 3.5km,  past that point the radar will not be able to lock a target,  GPS alleviates the problem giving the missiles a better range , admittedly it's only a part solution as moving objects are not really viable targets. that said in testing both the missiles from PEW and Boomsticks  against radar locked versions. the GPS have a much higher strike rate. 

Using radar for surface to surface has some special problems as the pre programmed flight paths do not favor low level flight, BD himself illustrates this in one of his videos,  air to air is perfect. ground to air is also pretty good ,  but for  surface work the missile typically needs an upward vector at launch, not a native launch position for BDAc controlled launchers, also the missile has to be configured with very particular engine settings in order for it to function correctly. all of this has been tested, there's quite a few bodies working behind the scenes now, and GPS is still the better way to go I feel.   (check out the LCS sinking video for illustration of the low level performance problems)

The other reason of course is that LP found the same things as I and went with what works best :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It isn`t covered still one thing: torpedoes. Is it possible to make them with existing possibilities of BDArmory? Something like slow rockets that just activates under water and keeping their deep up to target.

4 hours ago, Su33 said:

It isn`t covered still one thing: torpedoes. Is it possible to make them with existing possibilities of BDArmory? Something like slow rockets that just actihnging fuel load ates under water and keeping their deep up to target.

Hi sadly for BDA and PEW torpedo's, as evidenced by the NAS torps,  require a pile of code in order to function anything like a real torpedo, 

There are several problems to overcome , if  the torpedo is cfg'd strong enough not to explode when hitting the water it will also act like a battering ram when it hits a target rather than exploding on impact.

Then there's the buoyancy issue, in an ideal world the torp would be neutrally buoyant, this requires adjustment on the fly, changing fuel load as the torpedo runs means that a torpedo that is neutrally buoyant at launch will become more buoyant as time goes on , 

The real stumbling block is that there is no AI  missile or shell flight path that will natively  guide a torpedo to target, even the flatest Air to Air trajectory has some element of gaining height .   Which would effectively cause the torpedo to cllimb out of the water

The final nail in the coffin for stock BDA torpedoes is that I've tried on several occasions to get something workable but ultimately I run into the issues  outlined above

Thanks for your interest and comment :)

• 5 weeks later...
Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all just a quick note to let you know that I am creating a new thread for PEW for the 122 release in addon releases. The mod will be available from all the usual distributors .Just making sure that the nukes nuke etc and I'll be posting the update

will you be adding a link to the new one from this one? Or remake the homepage to say that "this one is no longer being updated: Go to this one"

Edited by acerarity

13 minutes ago, acerarity said:

will you be adding a link to the new one from this one?

Yes I will

However we have a little snag in that there's an issue with NKD and BDA 122 and therefore PEW, and it's exhibiting some very unpleasant audio FX, going to speak to the BDA chaps to hopefully get a fix as it's something in BDAc that has changed . I somehow don't feel right about pushing out an update when something that the mod requires is a little broken, as it usually leads to erroneous bug reports. 

Cheers

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Yes I will

However we have a little snag in that there's an issue with NKD and BDA 122 and therefore PEW, and it's exhibiting some very unpleasant audio FX, going to speak to the BDA chaps to hopefully get a fix as it's something in BDAc that has changed . I somehow don't feel right about pushing out an update when something that the mod requires is a little broken, as it usually leads to erroneous bug reports. 

Cheers

Release it when you feel its ready, Im still able to use P.E.W because bda is updated. Im just very glad that SMarmory was released, so now im working on monstrosity's with the new guns

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, redmonddkgamer said:

I'm trying to load up SpannerMonkey's CeKay I Missile Cruiser, but it says it's missing SM57E6BGM.

I gave you the link to the PEW Continued version in the SM Armory thread that you said this in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.