[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

2 hours ago, betus said:

I just started a new career mode with CE. I am trying to use LH2+OX on an FL-T400 stock tank, but I do not see an option for LH2+OX. Does something need to be upgraded? What am I missing?

Do you have all dependencies in your GameData?

Dependencies (Required and Bundled)

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Cryo Tanks
  • Deployable Engines
  • Dynamic Battery Storage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/9/2023 at 5:41 PM, Cheesecake said:

Could be Interstellar Fuel Switch. Interstellar Fuel Switch does the same thing as Cryotanks. So the two could get in each other's way. You should only use one of the two.

I've the same issue. Uninstall Interstellar Fuel Switch did reeastblish LF for tanks that had it before installing Cryo Tanks, but the new tanks don't have LF/OX or LF option (1.12.4)

On 11/1/2023 at 11:19 AM, Sans said:

I've the same issue. Uninstall Interstellar Fuel Switch did reeastblish LF for tanks that had it before installing Cryo Tanks, but the new tanks don't have LF/OX or LF option (1.12.4)

I'm cursed. I can feel it...

Anyone know how to resolve that. I've uninstalled Interstellar Fuel Switch and even tested downgrading Cryo Tanks. No LF, LH2, Methane or anything. I've to keep Interstellar Fuel Switch installed, to get Liquid Fuel on other tanks

XLkN3Mu.png

AibgkYA.png

• 3 weeks later...

can someone help me out? i like the look and potential of all of these engines but i struggle to see the purpose of any of these engines

compared to liquid fuel, these engines are seemingly worse to build rockets with, needing many more fuel tanks to even start being more efficient

what are the applications for these engines? i dont see myself ever building a rocket large enough to get some noticeable effects out of them, the only time i see myself using these guys are for orbitally assembled interstellar vessels... but then again, i have nuclear engines for this

i am not saying the mod is bad, it looks really cool, im just wondering where id use these? am i missing something?

Hi there @bungling. There are a few cases where you'll see their value. They include:

• When your system scale goes up, there's less "getting away" with the extra dV you happen to have and less ignoring how heavy everything is. The tyranny of the rocket equation starts to dig its claws in more, because most of your weight will be the dry mass of your tanks, and you'll really notice when your tanks actually weigh less (CryoTanks) and the engines (CryoEngines) offer you their Isp.
  • LFO isn't exactly a thing anymore if you play with RealFuels or Realism Overhaul. If you step into the RO camp, what replaces LFO are fuel mixes that are easily storable (aren't cryo, no boiloff worries) but have worse Isp.
  • (I'm not sure about how much this applies in KSP but) Cryofuels are easier to produce off-world if you look at off-world ISRU. Part of the whole interest in these is rooted in the fact that you just have to split water directly to make Hydrolox, and Mars habitation programs have the hype train of bringing Hydrogen or water to Mars and processing that with the ambient Carbon Dioxide there to produce Methalox for the return trip. Players who additionally want to have the exact ISRU recipes available to play with aren't going to give any thought to "bringing Ore drills as usual." (Or maybe they will. It depends.)

In addition, there are many players who sorely disagree with the stock convention of "LiquidFuel is whatever your chosen engine needs it to be: It's Kerosene for your Atlas/Delta; It's Hydrogen for your NERV; It's Methane for your Starship..." Having the right engine, with the right specs and the explicit demand for these resources, and having the rocket weigh properly because it's holding actual Hydrogen, is quite satisfying to many.

All of these pluses aside, there's the very real negative of Hydrogen's un-dense nature making it a horrible thing to deal with, but everyone knows that, and we deal with it.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar 

ohhhh, yeah that makes significantly more sense, thank you for the response
i might do RSS/RO eventually when i have the patience to set it up, make it look good (especially with volumetric clouds) and have the brainpower to figure out what the hell is going on

Edited by bungling

On 11/21/2023 at 4:22 PM, bungling said:

can someone help me out? i like the look and potential of all of these engines but i struggle to see the purpose of any of these engines

compared to liquid fuel, these engines are seemingly worse to build rockets with, needing many more fuel tanks to even start being more efficient

what are the applications for these engines? i dont see myself ever building a rocket large enough to get some noticeable effects out of them, the only time i see myself using these guys are for orbitally assembled interstellar vessels... but then again, i have nuclear engines for this

i am not saying the mod is bad, it looks really cool, im just wondering where id use these? am i missing something?

@bungling Yeah, I felt the same way about them too. They looked amazing, but felt like they were way too close, balance wise, to the regular engines. At least in stock anyways.

I ended up boosting them up, slotting them in between LFO, and nukes. For hydrogen, I kept thrust the same, but increased the isp. And for methane, I increased the thrust a touch and increased the isp.

This also balanced it very nicely with the cryogenic extensions mod as well. Not quite realistic, but it makes for a nicer progression of engines in my view.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello! My game is spamming exception errors in the console whenever I use Hydrolox. I haven't been able to determine if it's b/c of the tanks, fuel, engine, or from another mod like B9PartSwitch. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Here are my logs: 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u6snpn8mchgt04d1glapq/another-edu-spamming-exections-in-console-in-game.log?rlkey=kz03n842l1w8j9g5f86ycs08w&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4qfztw5vjvifgzbgzkyca/Player-spamming-console-errors.log?rlkey=ra71841dkp5d3lue57zswq1nl&dl=0

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WolfieKSP said:

is this mod compatible with real fuels? i have a very annoying optimalization bug that makes the engines useless, terrier has 10X the dV of Tharsis while using LH2/LO2

I think it`s a problem with RealFuels because Cryogenic Engines are intended to use with the FuelSwitch of CryoTanks.