Extreme overheating with OKTO probe attached to Mk1 pod

This is a very specific bug. It seems that when you attach an OKTO probe to the top node of a Mk1 pod, it amplifies the heating so much that the pod will explode at relatively minor speeds (800 m/s). I've tested this with ever other 0.625m parts including all other probe cores and fuel tanks and only the OKTO probe causes this issue.

I tested this with a simple rocket but it seems to show up in all rockets.

My test rocket was a Mk1 pod with an OKTO core and then a mk16 parachute on top. Underneath was a RT-10 set at 50% thrust and launched straight up.

Version: KSP 1.0.0.830 Windows 64-bit

Issue: Stayputnik probe experiences extreme heating on reentry - up to 4000K! Possibly related to Bug #4832, as it also occurred on a rescue mission.

Save: Thermalbug.sfs - Simply wait until reentry, either warping or not: the Stayputnik starts heating up rapidly.

9vBDBGW.png

I'm getting a very similar issue with an OKTO atop a MkI pod, with an SAS avionics module on top of that. Strangely, I have no issues in atmosphere, but once I get up to 60k or so and cut engines to coast to Ap, it then spontaneously explodes, and the debug menu says it was due to heat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.