[1.0.5] Heat Management (No longer supported)

Randazzo

v0.24 released, lots of new goodies.

I install the new version but it created conflict with your previous version i had to delete entire folder and re-install it work now but you might want to mention that.

And no my version was not older then .22

I install the new version but it created conflict with your previous version i had to delete entire folder and re-install it work now but you might want to mention that.

And no my version was not older then .22

Thanks for the report, but unless you can be a little more specific I have no way of knowing what happened.

Edited by Randazzo

Thanks for the report, but unless you can be a little more specific I have no way of knowing what happened.

There was duplicate of the parts and when i try to attach the parts the node would disappeared and kind a attach mid air to the side with no way of deleting the part.

There was duplicate of the parts and when i try to attach the parts the node would disappeared and kind a attach mid air to the side with no way of deleting the part.

Hmm, not sure off the top of my head. I'll try and reproduce this. In the meantime I changed the installation instructions. Thanks!

I almost always just delete old installs, with the exception of cfg files. In this case I did delete and replace the folder and had no issues, even with crafts in orbit with Heat Management parts on it.

Yeah deleting the entire directory seems to be really needed for this update. I had this error come up in the Output_Log after updating personally :

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HeatManagement/AHMS/250AHMS/250AHMS/IAHMS250'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at PartLoader.ReplaceTextures (UnityEngine.GameObject model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 textureNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 newTextures) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at PartLoader.CompileModel (.UrlConfig cfg, .ConfigNode partCfg, Single scaleFactor, .AvailablePart partInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

If I'm reading it correctly I believe it was having issue with ATM but I'm not absolutely positive of that. Regardless, deleting the directory entirely and reinstalling solved the issue and all is well. I can also confirm a full deletion of .cfg files with craft in flight with HM parts and had no issues.

Facepalm moment!

This is happening because I replaced all existing textures with .dds files or dummy files, and wrote the configs for parts with dummy files to call up the .dds images from their folders.

I did test this before I released it however I neglected to account for the fact that I was overwriting the dev version of .24 instead of the release of .23, thus of course it worked perfectly. Oy.

Installation instructions have been updated in the OP and on Kerbalstuff.

Ok cool - so I can assume that killing the .pngs in that directory will be okay then? Because they are apparently still packaged in the ZIP file and after restarting KSP it locked up on the folder. It was solved again by deleting the ATM Cache for HM.

That and on looking at the cfg file I see that the models are pointed at the /125 directory anyway... :wink:

Ok cool - so I can assume that killing the .pngs in that directory will be okay then? Because they are apparently still packaged in the ZIP file and after restarting KSP it locked up on the folder. It was solved again by deleting the ATM Cache for HM.

That and on looking at the cfg file I see that the models are pointed at the /125 directory anyway... :wink:

Those PNG's are the dummy files. They are only 47 bytes each.

If you remove them, the repathing won't work. The MODEL node requires an image to replace, even if that image is empty, it must be there.

Edited by Randazzo

Ok so what would be the solution then? Because I'm having to delete my ATM cache directory for HM every time I start up right now.

Btw...since I hadn't mentioned it before then and really should have - this is a great mod you've put together and has really served my wonderfully so thanks much for the help and the work. :D

Ok so what would be the solution then? Because I'm having to delete my ATM cache directory for HM every time I start up right now.

Btw...since I hadn't mentioned it before then and really should have - this is a great mod you've put together and has really served my wonderfully so thanks much for the help and the work. :D

I may have to release an ATM exception config. I'll take a look at it.

Hello Randazzo, here's a mm patch for the community tech tree, if you're interested. Feedback welcome. :)

//---Small Radiator Panels
@PART[Radiator125]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
@TechRequired = heatManagementSystems
}

//---Large Radiator Panels
@PART[Radiator250]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---HM-1 Thermal Washer - 1.25m
@PART[thermalwasher125]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---HM-2 Thermal Washer - 2.5m
@PART[thermalwasher250]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---1.25m Heatsink
@PART[Heatsink125n]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//----2.5m Heatsink
@PART[Heatsink250n]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---3.75m Heatsink
@PART[Heatsink375n]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
@TechRequired = advHeatManagement
}

//---Multi-node 2.5m Heatsink
@PART[MNHeatsink250]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---Multi-node 3.75m Heatsink
@PART[MNHeatsink375]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---VAD Interstage Decoupler - 2.5m
@PART[HMID250]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---VAD Interstage Decoupler - 3.75m
@PART[HMID375]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---HM-3 Thermal Washer - 3.75m
@PART[thermalwasher375]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---Active Heat Management System (1.25m)
@PART[IAHMS125]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
@TechRequired = specializedRadiators
}

//---Active Heat Management System (2.5m)
@PART[IAHMS250]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---Active Heat Management System (3.75m)
@PART[IAHMS375]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---Multinode AHMS Unit (2.5m)
@PART[IAHMS250MN]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

//---Multinode AHMS Unit (3.75m)
@PART[IAHMS375MN]:NEEDS[HeatManagement]:FOR[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

Hello Randazzo, here's a mm patch for the community tech tree, if you're interested. Feedback welcome. :)

Thanks! I don't use CTT myself but I've added a link to the OP and credited you.

Ok, I finally managed to reproduce this issue. It seems to occur at a certain threshold of mods, but I have no idea why it wouldn't be broken from the get-go. I tried several different config setups but nothing worked, and a look in the ATM thread shows a lot of issues going on right now. Best I could do was make new blanks in DDS format. They're slightly larger but still only bytes. New release version should be available for download now. I'd delete your texture cache just in case, but after that and a fresh install of HeatManagement, everything should be hunky dory.

Edited by Randazzo

The new DDS blanks works flawlessly and as a side note, yeah, I run a TON of mods - 105+ at last count so I run into all kinds of weird things on a regular basis. Thanks so much for the quick reaction fix and again for all the great work!

The new DDS blanks works flawlessly and as a side note, yeah, I run a TON of mods - 105+ at last count so I run into all kinds of weird things on a regular basis. Thanks so much for the quick reaction fix and again for all the great work!

You're welcome. :)

Love the idea of this pack and the heat sinks really help isolate my nuclear engines.

But I'm not sure if I did something wrong, the radiators don't seem to be working for me. They don't glow even when the heat sink they're attached to is red hot and the engine is about to blow. If i attach radiators from near future electric those certainly are sucking heat because their temp raises dramatically although I can't tell anything about their emission properties.

Thinking my first attempt to post didn't go. Really like the parts on this mod, but I'm having some odd behavior from the radiators. They don't seem to glow no matter how much everything starts to overheat from my lvn. I can't tell if they're radiating or not from the heat-sink they're attached to. I've tested attaching the radiators from new future and those definitely skyrocket in heat when attached to the heat sink and seem to draw heat away. I must be doing something wrong.

Thinking my first attempt to post didn't go. Really like the parts on this mod, but I'm having some odd behavior from the radiators. They don't seem to glow no matter how much everything starts to overheat from my lvn. I can't tell if they're radiating or not from the heat-sink they're attached to. I've tested attaching the radiators from new future and those definitely skyrocket in heat when attached to the heat sink and seem to draw heat away. I must be doing something wrong.

I don't think you're necessarily doing anything wrong. I'd turn off the temperature indicators (F10) if you have them on, since they start flashing like mad before the LV-Ns or heatsinks are even halfway to overheating. You don't need to worry about it until you see the overheat bar in the staging area show up, and it will usually fill about three quarters of the way before it slows down significantly.

The radiators glow only faintly until they hit about 900 degrees, and that would require the heatsink to be well over 1000. If you feel so inclined, you can turn on thermal data in the right-click menus via the Alt+f12 options. Go to physics, then thermal, then click the aforementioned box. This will show you actual temps on your parts.

This is my best guess without seeing it happen, I'm not getting the same behavior so I can't say for certain what the issue is.

Thank you for making this mod. It's lean, clean, and well-balanced.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Edited by Randazzo

I recently downloaded the Atomic Age mod, and seeing as I'm obsessed with all things nuclear, Heat Management was a godsend! However, I encountered a rather strange bug when I was on a routine mapping survey to the Mun. Here's a breakdown:

1. Hohmann transfer from Kerbin to Mun SOI - Went off without a hitch, the radiators did an admirable job keeping the single Nuclear Lightbulb engine from overheating.

2. Mun Injection Angle Adjustment - Since I'm running SCANSAT, I wanted to make sure my final orbital inclination was somewhere between 75 and 90 degrees. Again, no problems were encountered.

3. Circularization Burn - Negligible amounts of dV were expended, the maneuver itself was executed without issue.

4. Bug encountered - Upon completion of the burn, the radiators began overheating. Using HyperEdit, I turned on the Heat Editor to see which parts were causing the overheat. The Nuclear Lightbulb wasn't firing, throttle was 0, and the insulator that I had attached as an extra insurance policy showed no signs of overheat. But the temperature on the radiators continued to climb. Again, the engine temperature was normal, just about under 25% max temp. Using the Heat Editor, I turned it down to 0, and the heat radiators started to cool rapidly. Turning the engine heat up again, even under about 5% of max, and the radiators turned cherry red again in short order. For some reason, this resulted in a CTD, with no crash log generated.

I've got about a dozen mods installed, none of which have given me any trouble before. However, the most likely culprits seem to be either TweakScale or TweakableEverything. I wish I had taken screenshots, but it was such a humdrum mission that I didn't consider the possibility until it was all over. I also should mention that I'm running 1.0.2, which seems to be having memory leak issues at the moment. However, without a crash log I can't confirm that this was the issue.

Edited by DasMike

I recently downloaded the Atomic Age mod, and seeing as I'm obsessed with all things nuclear, Heat Management was a godsend! However, I encountered a rather strange bug when I was on a routine mapping survey to the Mun. Here's a breakdown:

1. Hohmann transfer from Kerbin to Mun SOI - Went off without a hitch, the radiators did an admirable job keeping the single Nuclear Lightbulb engine from overheating.

2. Mun Injection Angle Adjustment - Since I'm running SCANSAT, I wanted to make sure my final orbital inclination was somewhere between 75 and 90 degrees. Again, no problems were encountered.

3. Circularization Burn - Negligible amounts of dV were expended, the maneuver itself was executed without issue.

4. Bug encountered - Upon completion of the burn, the radiators began overheating. Using HyperEdit, I turned on the Heat Editor to see which parts were causing the overheat. The Nuclear Lightbulb wasn't firing, throttle was 0, and the insulator that I had attached as an extra insurance policy showed no signs of overheat. But the temperature on the radiators continued to climb. Again, the engine temperature was normal, just about under 25% max temp. Using the Heat Editor, I turned it down to 0, and the heat radiators started to cool rapidly. Turning the engine heat up again, even under about 5% of max, and the radiators turned cherry red again in short order. For some reason, this resulted in a CTD, with no crash log generated.

I've got about a dozen mods installed, none of which have given me any trouble before. However, the most likely culprits seem to be either TweakScale or TweakableEverything. I wish I had taken screenshots, but it was such a humdrum mission that I didn't consider the possibility until it was all over. I also should mention that I'm running 1.0.2, which seems to be having memory leak issues at the moment. However, without a crash log I can't confirm that this was the issue.

75% of max for the lightbulb is over 2500 kelvin. Even after you shut off the engine, that heat continues to dissipate and heat up things around it. Did you have a heatsink or AHMS unit on the ship? Using just thermal washers and radiators is not advised. Together they may slightly delay the explosion, but without a heatsink to absorb heat or an AHMS to get rid of it, terrible things can happen.

Just out of curiosity, since you said insulators and radiators without mention of a heatsink, are you using Heat Control parts? The active radiators from that pack stay hot until you turn them off.

Okay, thanks for the response! I saw your post earlier this morning so I decided to confirm for myself whether the Heat Management or Heat Control mods were responsible for my CTD bug. Turns out it's neither, so that's good news. On the other hand, I've noticed that the CTD bug happens when any of my solar panels aren't facing the sun. They'll reach about half of their max rated temperature, and the CTD will trigger, without any input by me. I'm going to have to go to the support board for this one, since this is just too strange to be coincidental.

That's pretty strange. All of the parts from my pack use stock mechanics and should not be causing any crashes. Do you have the heat indicators on? Be sure to turn them off (f10) because they are known to have a memory leak.

That's pretty strange. All of the parts from my pack use stock mechanics and should not be causing any crashes. Do you have the heat indicators on? Be sure to turn them off (f10) because they are known to have a memory leak.

Ah, I definitely did have them on. I honestly had no idea about that issue, so thanks for the heads-up! By the way, is there any way to turn them off permanently? Seems like it would be more convenient than remembering to tap F10 every time I loaded a savegame.