[1.0.5] Heat Management (No longer supported)

Randazzo

CmoyIiOh.png

DOWNLOAD:  Curse | Spacedock

License: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Module Manager is REQUIRED.

Heatsink Textures contributed by DaniAngione

WildBlueTools Source code copyright 2015, by Angel-125, used with permission.

Radiator models and textures created by zzz and released into public domain, original thread found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43840-Hab-Hub-%28and-other-strange-things%29

Module Manager distributed under CC-SA license. https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager

Community Tech Tree integration patch by theonegalen available HERE

Whats new

• Active cooling modules restored to radiator panels - They now function on the same principle as the AHMS units and consume electricity.
  • Suncatcher transform adjustment

Radiator Panels

Available in two sizes, the radiator panels offer a solution for actively dissipating heat from your vessel. While they passively (in terms of actual heat removal - the heat draw across the vessel is an active function of the stock module) function in the same manner as the stock radiator panels, they have an additional active heat dissipation function which will help quickly remove heat from your vessel. This mode must be activated via action groups or the right click menus. As a trade-off, they are a good bit heavier than the stock panels, and they are significantly less effective at drawing heat off the vessel in passive mode as they rely more on conduction. This means they will actually need to be attached to a heatsink or AHMS unit for maximum effectiveness.

Heatsinks

Heatsinks are simply large chunks of metal with high heat tolerances designed purely to soak up heat, preventing your fuel tanks or other sensitive parts from doing the same. They do not actively get rid of the heat (except for a small amount that is naturally radiated away from any hot surface) and will require Radiator panels to remove the heat from your ship. Single node models are available in all standard sizes, and multinode models are available in 2.5m (two node) and 3.75m (four node) diameters.

Active Heat Management System (AHMS)

AHMS units actively combat heat build up past 600k via an NH3 cooling system. They are extremely effective in this heat range and will not require radiator panels to maintain it, but they will not effectively cool off at lower temperatures. The coolant will eventually overheat if subjected to high levels of heat over (very) extended periods of time, reducing the effectiveness of the unit. Running the coolant pump to cycle the coolant will restore it's effectiveness. The pump requires electricity to run. These are primarily intended for non-stock engines and even other sources of heat. Single node models are available in all standard sizes, and multinode models are available in 2.5m (two node) and 3.75m (four node) diameters.

Thermal Washers

A simple, low-tech solution for restricting heat coupling between parts. These simply slow down heat conduction across your vessel. It is advisable to place one of these between your heatsink or AHMS unit and the fuel tank or reaction wheel you are attaching it to. Available in all standard diameters.

Interstage Decouplers

Designed for use with multinode heatsinks or AHMS units, the interstage decoupler provides the necessary ability to include your clusters in upper stages.

Note: The interstage fairing will not appear until you place something on the bottom node of the decoupler itself. THIS IS INTENTIONAL and allows the placement of struts between the multinode part and the decoupler.

Installation: Drag the HeatManagement folder from the zip into your local GameData folder.

Q: So how do I use these parts?

A: Place a heatsink between your LV-N engine and whatever you are attaching it to. Don't forget to add the radiator panels! I recommend at least four per heatsink. None of these parts will prevent your ship from accumulating high levels of heat, but will make it easier to avoid catastrophic overheating situations.

Basic Usage

The heatsink and radiator parts are relatively straightforward. Stick a heatsink or AHMS unit between your engine the rest of the vessel.

lVs7M54.png

When using a single LV-N, avoid dangling your radiators over the lower edge of the heatsink or they may be torn off by the explosive decoupling of the fairing. There are also multi-node options available.

xEDxZyZ.png2Iix9Ha.png

When using a multinode setup, attach an Interstage Decoupler to the bottom node of the multinode part.

eDLfx66.png

The fairing will not immediately appear. This is to allow you to place struts between the decoupler and the heatsink or AHMS unit for greater stability.

LcR3TDl.png

Once you've placed your struts, simply attach a fuel tank (or whatever you care to stick there) to the bottom of the decoupler and construct the rest of your rocket as normal. The fairing will appear once something has been attached to the bottom.

lFrn2EM.png

Thermal Washers

An important component of controlling heat flow throughout your vessel is the thermal washer. These restrict conductive heat flow by reducing heat coupling between the parts they are attached to. They work best when placed between your heatsink or AHMS unit and the rest of the vessel.

Vrbxi9g.png

zdZs7ES.png

3V3aoze.png

In addition you may find it useful to place one between your main vessel and the command pod to provide additional protection for the heatshield and help prevent ablator boil-off.

J96A2KR.png

NaZ5aYm.png

Q: How does it work?

A: The heatsinks have a very high thermal mass and low heat conductivity properties. Although they are slow to build up heat, they pass relatively little to attached parts. The radiator panels function in a similar method as the stock panels, with an additional active heat dissipation mode. They must be deployed to function properly.

Q: What about the AHMS units?

A: These units utilize NH3 (Ammonia) coolant to prevent overheating. The coolant can only absorb so much heat and will become less effective over time if the cycle pumps are not used (activated by action groups or right clicking on the part). Running the pumps will consume a significant amount of electricity, so plan accordingly.

The parts are located under the COMMAND AND CONTROL tab by default to ease locating them.

Additional notes

Due to the explosive nature of the fairing being decoupled from LV-Ns, it is advised that you avoid dangling the radiator panels below the edge of the heatsink when attached.

Installing the new tech node distribution config in games in which the parts have already been unlocked under nuclear propulsion will cause the parts to show up in both the new nodes and the original nuclear propulsion node.

Edited by Randazzo

The way 1.0 works, absorption = emissivity, so those solar panels are absorbing solar (heating) flux at quite a high clip. What you need are panels that align perpendicular to that, i.e. with their narrow edges facing the sun; they will take in next to no solar flux and thus radiate out maximally.

Not to rain on your parade too much though. Inventive and quick work! :)

I understand the modelling limitations (I'm not a big modeller myself) but maybe some custom textures? Now with stock DDS reading, textures for these parts would be really insignificant memory-wise. I could try making you some if you wish :)

The way 1.0 works, absorption = emissivity, so those solar panels are absorbing solar (heating) flux at quite a high clip. What you need are panels that align perpendicular to that, i.e. with their narrow edges facing the sun; they will take in next to no solar flux and thus radiate out maximally.

Not to rain on your parade too much though. Inventive and quick work! :)

I'll have to see if I can wrap my brain around actually creating a .dll, thank you for the info!

So hopefully custom models and textures are coming?

...maaaybe.

I understand the modelling limitations (I'm not a big modeller myself) but maybe some custom textures? Now with stock DDS reading, textures for these parts would be really insignificant memory-wise. I could try making you some if you wish :)

By all means!

For better textures, you could use the ones from the interstellar pack, it also has some radial radiators and retractable ones, and I beleive it has a share-alike licence so you would be allowed to use them

EDIT: I would also be willing to write you a plugin that rotates your radiators 90 degrees from the sun

Edited by peachoftree

I could be mistaken, but you should look into ZZZ radiator panels (which interstellar mod uses) for your radiator parts, as ZZZ made his models open for public use.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43840-Hab-Hub-%28and-other-strange-things%29

"zzz has publicly stated many times that *all* her/his works are public domain. You don't need permission to maintain them. If you wish to rerelease this (with credit) please start a new thread.

Sending this back to its peaceful rest..." Nathan Kell

source: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40207-Crosswalk-narrow-passageway/page2

i took the liberty to use your configs and KSPI's radiator models and did this. (the radiators avoid the sun and i converted everything to dds)

6663e93948.png

Link

Edited by Dinokin

i took the liberty to use your configs and KSPI's radiator models and did this. (the radiators avoid the sun and i converted everything to dds)

http://s4.postimg.org/5olhtvbql/Captura_de_tela_2015_05_01_13_24_21.png

Link

I'm not at home at the moment and the network I'm on doesn't like that image link for some reason, but I'm very interested to have a look.

There's also already a build in progress utilizing new textures and models that will likely be released later this evening (basically when I get time to ensure it all works).

Edit: Judging from the CFG(derp) radiator files you went pretty much the same route as the dev build, except with some larger parts.

Edited by Randazzo

Could you still continue this mod for those that want heat management parts for other mods that add in increased heat anyways?

this. Very much this. Also, while 1.0.2 did tone the heat issue down I still think that dedicated heat radiator parts like these is a good idea.

besides, the screenshot a few posts above, it'd be a shame not to use those awesome looking radiators.

kewl. I might be able to work on some textures for you in a few weeks (my hand is recovering from surgery). Send me a p.m. with thoughts on what you want it to look like.

would it really be a DLL? Solar panels already face the sun, so you could just adjust the angle by 90 degrees? I'm not a modder but that seems like the worlds smallest DLL lol.

It's written into the animation module, not the graphic model.

Good looking parts - will definitely download once I've finished my exams. One request, if someone is looking at the animation - may someone make the way that they unfurl a little bit more... Graceful? I loved these models in interstellar, but the way they just flopped out quickly always irked me a bit. A delicate part like that should slowly unfurl, so as not to damage it... But hey, that's just what I think. Good looking functional mod, will certainly download!

is there any code behind this?

Nothing beyond what Squad wrote.

The rest is just simple config file changes anyone could've put together, and some texture work from another generous soul.

Nertea is working on a much more capable system at the moment, which looks to be top notch stuff. This was really just something to help get by in the meantime.

Also, anyone here who thinks they can improve this or add to it: Do it.

I hereby give my eternal permission to do whatever you wish to do with this (except sell it) as long as you give credit to DaniAngione for the heatsink texture if you use it and zzz for the panels and their artwork. I'm pretty sure that's what the license says anyway. ;)

Edited by Randazzo