[1.0.5] Heat Management (No longer supported)

Randazzo

9 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

So, is the progression of the files as sch?

KSP \ WildBlueIndustries \ 000WildBlueTools \ etc...

Or

KSP \ 000WildBlueTools \ etc...

Both the HeatManagement and WildBlueIndustries folder should be in the GameData directory, just as they are in the zip. Don't move the folders inside them around.

...GameData\HeatManagement

...GameData\WildBlueIndustries

2 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Both the HeatManagement and WildBlueIndustries folder should be in the GameData directory, just as they are in the zip. Don't move the folders inside them around.

...GameData\HeatManagement

...GameData\WildBlueIndustries

Thought so! Better safe than sorry :)

One quick question about this mod. Can this replace stock radiators? I know you said they work just like stock, but are these just just for engine heat? Can I place these anywhere on my vessel for heat management? Same goes for the other parts with pumps in them (can't remember the name). And if this question has been asked, I do apologize for the repeat

14 hours ago, lynwoodm said:

One quick question about this mod. Can this replace stock radiators? I know you said they work just like stock, but are these just just for engine heat? Can I place these anywhere on my vessel for heat management? Same goes for the other parts with pumps in them (can't remember the name). And if this question has been asked, I do apologize for the repeat

You could use them in place of the stock radiators, but they are heavier and inferior if used passively. Activating the parts will improve their function tremendously, but if you don't have anything generating a sustained high level of heat then you won't need them for anything.

11 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

You could use them in place of the stock radiators, but they are heavier and inferior if used passively. Activating the parts will improve their function tremendously, but if you don't have anything generating a sustained high level of heat then you won't need them for anything.

Nice! It's good to know that I have options. Not really worried about mass, just functionality and visual enhancement. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hi Randazzo

Thank you for your advice on heat management for the Bulb engine of Atomic Age from Porjet.

I gave a try and it looks like it's working pretty well

You're quite welcome, happy exploring :)

Well, it's working as long as you don't run them in  a hot environment.....

If I start bulb engines at 28km, M 4.5, temperature not increasing any more, with a 500° margin from max temp, even with Heatsink, AHMS and radiators extended, they don't live more than 15sec, temp is increasing very quickly.

There's no temp problem in the same configuration with the stock Nerv engine, that's why I think they need some update....

4 minutes ago, gilflo said:

Well, it's working as long as you don't run them in  a hot environment.....

If I start bulb engines at 28km, M 4.5, temperature not increasing any more, with a 500° margin from max temp, even with Heatsink, AHMS and radiators extended, they don't live more than 15sec, temp is increasing very quickly.

There's no temp problem in the same configuration with the stock Nerv engine, that's why I think they need some update....

If you're igniting the lightbulb engine in the atmosphere, then you have other things going on the AHMS can't deal with.

A 2.5m AHMS, Thermal Washer, and some radiators will keep that engine cool indefinitely in space (provided you turn them on).

Edited by Randazzo

Well, I did not used the thermal washer. I used a heatsink + 1.25m AHMS and radiators, the lightbulb being tweak scaled to 1.25m.

If you look at the cfg file of the lightbulb and compare it to the Nerv cfg, you'll see some coefficient are missing. I am not programmer but i guess something is needed to comply with the 1.0.5 heat system.....

Are you sure the thermal washer instead of heatsink will be the right thing?

@gilflo  If you're throwing tweakscale into the mix, I can't promise anything. I don't know how that engine performs in a 1.25m scale, but I would imagine it's heat production will outstrip the 1.25m AHMS ability to soak and dissipate the heat even with radiators. You could try tweakscaling down the 2.5m AHMS to go with it, but I don't know if that will work either.

The thermal washer helps keep the heat contained to the engine block of the ship, but I suppose it is not entirely necessary. Heat sinks are just blocks of metal that heat up via conduction, so if you find the AHMS and radiators are regularly getting hot enough to start glowing (they are around 1000k when they do that, to let you know you're pushing it), it might help to have it.

Edited by Randazzo

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Quick question - is this mod just about parts, or it enforces its own heat managing? I'm using Heat Control so I was wondering if I could use it together with this one.

Just parts. I think you might find their function a touch too arcane for a Kron series vessel though.

They will also only work with the stock heat dynamics in a vacuum. If Nertea has done neat things with plugins as Nertea often does, it may not work as expected.

Edited by Randazzo

4 hours ago, Randazzo said:

Just parts. I think you might find their function a touch too arcane for a Kron series vessel though.

They will also only work with the stock heat dynamics in a vacuum. If Nertea has done neat things with plugins as Nertea often does, it may not work as expected.

I'm not sure. So far I don't think that's the case. I think it was, but after heat got managed differently in new versions of the game, it is probably removed and now uses stock heating.

My planned mission requires active heating and that's where your ammonia stuff comes in. I'm not yet sure how it works (I've used passive heating for my past missions) but I'll find out soon.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Aw what, why is this no longer supported? I use it and it works just fine......

Re-release will be coming soon. The mod is not going away. However, I must drop support on all versions of all mods currently hosted on CKAN.

39 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Re-release will be coming soon. The mod is not going away. However, I must drop support on all versions of all mods currently hosted on CKAN.

oh, okay. I use this mod, and I have an urgent contract to visit the Sun in low orbit - I need these parts!