[Windows] KSP won't "accept" Joystick axes

Thank you for the explanation. I see. I will get back with those files as soon as I have access to that computer and found a way to host them, even though the chances of a quick remedy are slim.

Lets hope that Unity5 switch happens soon then, at least this sounds like promising news.

Thank you for your help so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to express that I too have this issue, and have yet to solve it. Currently using a G940, with the Bodnar mod on my throttles and rudders. When I attempt to assign any axis, the "accept" button has no effect. In the debug log I read several "keynotfoundexception" errors.

Here's hoping for a solution soon! Its been awhile since I've had a chance to be active on the KSP scene and I am looking forward to rejoining the community. For me, with my primary interest in atmospheric aircraft, no joystick means no play :/

Okay, just stopping by to report that my problem still persists.

Sal Vager was VERY helpfull via PM, he checked my system files and had a few good suggestions, but alas to no avail. Thank you nevertheless.

I installed the game on another computer, went out to get another joystick that was suggested to me, tried all kinds of fixes, but I still can't get KSP to detect the stick axis or the throttle levers.

Yeah, Dirt Merchant, lets hope for a quick solution! (you have some nice crafts in your sig, btw) I really hope they do something about it still on 1.0.4. Would suck so bad if we have to wait for the 1.1 patch.

cheers

Daf

Sigh. So it's not just me. Dunno if I should be happy or sad about that. Happy I only wasted 20 bucks on this POC joystick that I can't use until Soonâ„¢Maybe I s'pose.

I'm getting that same "KSP detects the axis but accept button just throws KeyNotFound" error. Just lots & lots of this in the log:

[LOG 22:45:58.048] [InputSettings]: listen target set to None - None; Axis -1, Device -1
[LOG 22:46:10.462] [InputSettings]: listen target set to joy0.0 - Joystick 0; Axis 0, Device 0
[LOG 22:46:10.695] [InputSettings]: listen target set to joy0.0 - Joystick 0; Axis 0, Device 0
[EXC 22:46:15.281] KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Int32].get_Item (System.String key)
InputDevices.GetDeviceIndex (System.String deviceName)
AxisBinding_Single.Load (.ConfigNode node)
AxisBinding.Load (.ConfigNode node)
InputSettings.ApplyAxisBinding ()
InputSettings.drawListenModeWindow ()
MultiOptionDialog.drawContent (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[LOG 22:46:18.448] [InputSettings]: listen target set to None - None; Axis -1, Device -1
[LOG 22:46:33.063] [InputSettings]: listen target set to joy0.2 - Joystick 0; Axis 2, Device 0
[LOG 22:46:34.231] [InputSettings]: listen target set to joy0.2 - Joystick 0; Axis 2, Device 0
[LOG 22:46:34.431] [InputSettings]: listen target set to joy0.2 - Joystick 0; Axis 2, Device 0
[LOG 22:46:35.479] [InputSettings]: listen target set to joy0.2 - Joystick 0; Axis 2, Device 0
[LOG 22:46:35.731] [InputSettings]: listen target set to joy0.2 - Joystick 0; Axis 2, Device 0
[EXC 22:46:40.867] KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Int32].get_Item (System.String key)
InputDevices.GetDeviceIndex (System.String deviceName)
AxisBinding_Single.Load (.ConfigNode node)
AxisBinding.Load (.ConfigNode node)
InputSettings.ApplyAxisBinding ()
InputSettings.drawListenModeWindow ()
MultiOptionDialog.drawContent (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

I'm having the grey accept button issue too. Win 8 x64. Before the 1.0 update everything was working just fine.

I hope they're going to release a patch as soon as they can... :( playing the game is nice with the keyboard, but I've bought a joystick just for this game... and now it's there to gather dust...

Just want to let you guys know that my joystick works now. I don't know what the issue was, my mate who is a tech head updated all my "drivers and stuff", looked hard and long at setting files, unplugged and replugged everything a couple times, mumbled all kinds of tech mantras (lots of swearing and cussing) and suddenly it would just work. He couldn't explain why, I'm just glad it works now. No issues whatsoever since then, settings stay persistent and all that. So relieved! Thanks to all who tried to help.

I had this issue some times, but I recenly figured why

What happens

When starting KSP, the game starts as it was the the first time (asking for uploading data). All settings are reset.

Cause

I play with a joystick (an old Wingman). I configured the keys in the settings.

If the joystick in not plugged when the game starts, all options are trashed and a new settings.cfg is recreated.

(Hopefully I kept a backup settings.cfg) :D

Fix

Settings should not be trashed or option unconfigured if a joystick is mission.

every week I also check the devs blog... apparently they're busy with upgrading to Unity 5.2, probably that's why they're not doing anything for this issue? I just hope that's going to fix it...

They don't often mention specific bugs that are being fixed, we'll have to wait and see when 1.1 drops.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday's Devnote Tuesday read: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

I was so excited! They'll push a small patch before the update that solves some bugs, but unfortunately looking at the list of fixed bugs, this one is not present. Let's hope it's in the "more stuff" section.... I'll post an update as soon as it is out!

Add to this one i'm now finding even when the xbox one controller is still plugged in on start it still unbinds all axis settings. Also when trying to reassign axis to pitch it sticks the game on that screen unless i manually clear a corrupt binding in the .cfg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a CH Throttle, which is mapped to create two virtual controllers to overcome the 20 button limitation of KSP, using the CH Control Manager. CH Control Manager Device 1 and 2 respectively.

When I mapped the throttle axis in KSP, I moved the controller and KSP recognized and bound it just fine. It was saying "Control Manager ID #00 Axis 2". But when I went into the game the game throttle was completely unresponsive.

I had the throttle mapped to the Control Manager Device 1 Z-axis, but the game was listening for the Z-axis on the Control Manager Device 2, because in the games internal logic the secondary vitual controller was the primary of the two, and it couldn't tell that they were two different controllers.

I finally fixed it by switching the mapped Z-axis on the secondary virtual controller. But it seems that if two control devices have similiar names, KSP can't always tell them apart. Maybe has something to do with the hash symbol in the name.

Also every time I plug in a new (or old) game controller to the computer, the next time I start KSP it seems to think that this new controller is now Joystick1. This messes up all the keybinds, on all the joysticks, as the controller that userd to be 1 is now 2, 2 is now 3, and so forth.

Hey developers, listen up: all the game controller axis and buttons need to be bound to unique identifiers, not names, and definitely not numbers of order. The game needs a surefire way of telling one controller from another. Good joystick support is paramount in a game that is mainly about flying in various environments.

I just fixed mine, I've been so mad I haven't played the game in months, I just can't stand docking or landing with the keyboard! I've had an itch for KSP the last couple of days, so I decided to sit down and figure this out...

So here's what I did, with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro:

1. Close KSP.exe

2. Visit http://support.logitech.com/product/extreme-3d-pro and download the joystick's gaming software (~15mb) Note: If you have another Logitech controller other than the Extreme 3D Pro, browse the site for the software specifically designed for the controller in your possession.

3. Install software and set-up, once installed and the software is running, continue to step 4.

4. In the Logitech Profiler application, select "Select A Game", and "Create new game profile". Using your file browser, find the KSP.exe icon and select it. (It would not show up automatically for me, which could explain why Microsoft Flight Simulators liked my joystick and KSP didn't, this is a logitech auto-detect software inadequacy, not a Squad/KSP bug)

5. Now enter your KSP file folder and delete the "Settings.cfg" file, this will remove any key binding you had previously set, but it's worth it!

6. Ensure your Logitech Profiler is running, close all windows, and run KSP.exe

7. In KSP.exe, go to Settings -> Input -> Flight. On the right side column, you should now be able to assign Axis Bindings, which will enable you to control spaceships(And Planes) with a Logitech 3D!!!

Hope this works!!! Please exclaim publicly if it does and your excitement gets to my level!!!

It happened again today. I didn't even unplug anything. Just rebooted my compy and after the reboot KSP was of the opinion that what used to be Joystick3 is now Joystick4 and vice versa.

setting.cfg still defines the T16000 and FGT Rumble correctly, but the game thinks the T16000 is Joystick4 and FGT Rumble is Joystick3.

INPUT_DEVICES
{
FGT Rumble 3-in-1 = 4
T.16000M = 3
Control Manager ID #00 = 0
}

Having to constantly babysit the joystick keybinds is infuriating.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! The 1.0.5 is out! Has anyone been able to test it out ye? Squad's mentioning in the changelog:

Fix an issue with plugging/unplugging controllers breaking/losing settings.

I really hope this is going to be fixed, although the bugabove is not the one that we're experiencing. Fingers crossed! I'll post something once I'm back home!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.