Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.0.2 - Aviator Challenge

I have a fast plane that will do the circumnavigation but I'm not much of a pilot. This is the Chuck Keager #1...

XJhms6K.jpg

Its max cruising speed is 1665m/s at 22,000m. The temp of the hottest part is then steady at 1909°.

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbqn4ykeiq8yaaf/Keager%201.craft?dl=0

Before take-off put a Kerbal in the command seat (I strongly recommend the Take Command mod for this), close the service bay, switch control to the probe core, press T and then floor it!

Anyone fancy taking it for a spin?

Edited by Foxster

I have a fast plane that will do the circumnavigation but I'm not much of a pilot. This is the Chuck Keager #1...

http://i.imgur.com/XJhms6K.jpg

Its max cruising speed is 1665m/s at 22,000m. The temp of the hottest part is then steady at 1909°.

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbqn4ykeiq8yaaf/Keager%201.craft?dl=0

Before take-off put a Kerbal in the command seat (I strongly recommend the Take Command mod for this), close the service bay, switch control to the probe core, press T and then floor it!

Anyone fancy taking it for a spin?

Well, I don't have the time to fly it (I have a .07 TWR duna mission burning out of kerbin orbit) but you might want to try pilot assistant, as I understand, it isn't banned, and you can set it to the maximum speed, altitude, and then physwarp around the world!

damndamndamndamndamndamndamndamndamndamndamndamn

Was working on an expedition circumnavigation and after 2 hours of babysitting over 3 hours of flight (in which all my mathematical projections based on consumption rates suggested I'd have just enough fuel) I ran dry just before reaching the island with the runway. The KSC strip was 98 km out when the engines spooled down and I was about 20 km up, moving along at around 1100 m/s. Tried to glide it, but the nose started pitching wildly before finally rising 90 degree, killing all forward velocity, and leaving me fighting to try to point back to the prograde. Didn't happen. Best I could manage was getting a flat attitude as I plummeted seaward. Couldn't revert flight as I'd saved when the fuel was critically low and reloaded to retry the descent approach under manual controls. Out of some fluke, that flat attitude was almost as good as a parachute, getting my downward velocity down to about 20 m/s, letting most of the craft survive. More than 7000 km flown and I splashed down less than 50 km short of the runway.

1TtXt9A.png

The real kicker, though, was that when I went back to the SPH verify that the lift was what I though it should be, I realized I'd left out about 1800 units of fuel prior to take off. Face meet palm. On the upside, I'm virtually guaranteed to make it next time.

Edited by ExaltedDuck
cleanup

have to see if the update borked my plane....

edit: ....! I was able to hit 1686m/s at 22,000m. Now it's waaaaay harder. I'm at about 1683.4m/s at 22,500 but fuel is being used much faster now too. I should have tried to beat the velocity score before updating.

I used to be able to go a full lap around kerbin and have about 200 fuel left from 1500. I now get half way around kerbin on 1500...

Edited by Pandemic

same here. My huge expedition circumnavigator that's playing titanic above would have made the three laps had I fueled it properly last night. Back in it now, I'm cruising 50 m/s faster and 1000 m higher but I don't think I'll have enough fuel to make two full loops. Peak ascent consumption last night was around 12 units/second. today, it got up to 21. Cruising was around 4 for last night's run but stayed close to like 5. Maybe if I use a shallower climb and less than full throttle to get past 10000m then push harder above 15000m... dunno. Might not be a valid concept of a plane now. That's a whole lot of work down possibly down the tubes now...

I was within seconds of beating juzeris time. RAWRRRR.

juzeris, you should try again and see how it goes.

Are we going to have to do another challenge for 1.0.3 now? :/

Also, how often does this get updated? I did get the 3+ circumnavigation successfully but the OP hasn't been updated.

Edited by Pandemic

My vote would be for a new challenge/new leaderboard. 1.0.3 seems to have made some pretty significant changes to fuel economy and OP seems to have abandoned the leaderboard updates.

And, I'd agree. Right now though, I barely have time to maintain this one. I've ventured off into modding and it's absorbing most of my time. If someone else would like to take up the reigns and start a new thread, they're more than welcome to use the badges.

I've updated the board for now but with 1.0.3, I'm thinking it's time to close this one.

And, I'd agree. Right now though, I barely have time to maintain this one. I've ventured off into modding and it's absorbing most of my time. If someone else would like to take up the reigns and start a new thread, they're more than welcome to use the badges.

I'd be willing to give it a go. I have more time than anyone here probably...

I'll have to see about a newer plane design to accommodate for the updates.

I'll also wait for your approval.

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

I'd be willing to give it a go. I have more time than anyone here probably...

I'll have to see about a newer plane design to accommodate for the updates.

I'll also wait for your approval.

Go for it Xannari.

And thanks to everyone who participated.

Edited by Fengist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.