[1.4.x - 1.7.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science Mods (NEOS - Micha's build) (0.8.1)

micha

Ok, logfile please.

EDIT: FWIW, I normally develop and test under Linux; the Windows test was just because that's all I had available at the time. I don't have a Mac so can't test directly.

Edited by micha

Ok, you just have a shedload of stuff in your install.  And most of it is throwing errors of one kind or another. Not even going to bother trying to pick all that apart.

Looks like it might be an invalid directory as far as OMS is concerned.  Since we just use standard APIs to try to find GameData I'm not sure why that appears to be broken.  As I have no idea what the folder structure for KSP on MacOSX is could you please post that, and also the full path of where you installed OMS, and I can try to look into it further.

Also, which of the packages did you download and install? I've only tried the full package and the Kemini standalone one so far.

Ok great! Glad it seems to be working now.  Could you please confirm that it's all working on Mac when you get a chance?

Cheers,

- Micha

PS. You have at least 2 copies of Module Manager installed. While it does sort itself out, you're better off installing just the one. Avoids unpleasant versioning surprises later on.  If it's packaged with another mod, you should raise a bug report to that mod's author.

The R&D system seems to be a little more brittle in 1.1.  During loading, I get this error as soon as an OMS part comes up (e.g. the HGR Radish, or when I disable that config, the NE science labs):

[NE] MOVExp.setExp() id: 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: key
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ScienceExperiment].Add (System.String key, .ScienceExperiment value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ResearchAndDevelopment.loadExperiments () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperiment (System.String experimentID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at NE_Science.ExperimentStorage.setExperiment (NE_Science.ExperimentData experimentData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at NE_Science.ExperimentStorage.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

It used to just say "[R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id " and move on with the loading, but now it chokes.

The trouble is, even when I recompile the code to give the "null" experiment an id (and set up a dummy experiment definition in a config file and everything), it still chokes.

Since there's other parts of the code that depend on a null experiment having an empty ID, my "dummy ID" plan was not going to be helpful anyway.  I've figured out a solution that lets everything load (basically, insulate the stock "GetExperiment" method by checking if the experiment ID is "" before calling the method), so if it tests OK in gameplay, I'll make a pull request.

Thanks for your work on this!  I'm not sure where to ask questions about this mod, but I'll start here.  What mods are required to run this mod?  And are you required to ship experiments back to Kerbin, or can you transmit the results (thereby losing a significant percentage of science, I assume)?

5 hours ago, Mister Spock said:

Thanks for your work on this!  I'm not sure where to ask questions about this mod, but I'll start here.  What mods are required to run this mod?  And are you required to ship experiments back to Kerbin, or can you transmit the results (thereby losing a significant percentage of science, I assume)?

Actually, you will need KIS to use KEES (so you can put experiments out on racks).

8 hours ago, Mister Spock said:

Ah OK, thanks.  I'll check out KIS.  I used KAS once, many moons ago; I think maybe it's been folded into KIS now?  Anyway, I'll head over there to learn about it.

You'll also need ModuleManager for the Kemini experiments.

I want to add Kerpedia entries but that requires a Unity install - for which I need windows. So unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I get this peculiar error in the log for any of these science packs

[ERR 23:55:34.697] KIS found !

I'm guessing it's not really an error but from before mods could write to the log, so instead N3h3mia threw an error for him to see that the mod found a KIS install

Wow, I'm glad I found this!  I remember this mod from back in alpha, and I'm glad to see that there's recent chatter about it for v1.1.2, awesome!

One question, though.  @N3h3mia had four individual mods that all made sense together, I'll admit, but they were nevertheless separate mods.  I only see one "mod" discussed here.  Were they consolidated into one mod for all four, or are there individual mods that have been lost to the ages?

Also... what is the exact "title" of this mod?  I can't seem to find a listing for it on SpaceDock...

25 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Wow, I'm glad I found this!  I remember this mod from back in alpha, and I'm glad to see that there's recent chatter about it for v1.1.2, awesome!

One question, though.  @N3h3mia had four individual mods that all made sense together, I'll admit, but they were nevertheless separate mods.  I only see one "mod" discussed here.  Were they consolidated into one mod for all four, or are there individual mods that have been lost to the ages?

Also... what is the exact "title" of this mod?  I can't seem to find a listing for it on SpaceDock...

It's all there as separate and an all in 1 DL on github 

On 5/5/2016 at 0:08 AM, MisterFister said:

It is not on space dock. This is a fork of N3h3mia's Orbital material science. 

On 5/5/2016 at 0:34 AM, Svm420 said:

It's all there as separate and an all in 1 DL on github 

This is an experimental pre-release. So the down load is listed here https://github.com/mwerle/OrbitalMaterialScience/releases

You will want the "science pack". Which is the biggest file if your confused by all the numbers.

The rest of the files are not required unless you are debugging or only want a part of the whole package. It was done this way to make it easier to get just a bit of it before KSP 1.1. Due to memory constraints. 

If anyone is not sure what each bit does look back on the original 0.90 version instructional videos found here  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/73723-090-orbital-material-science-version-06/  Although please adjust for new KIS if approprate. 

@michathanks for the update by they way. Though we lost you when your computer when out of commission at christmas. Glad to see you back here.:cool: 

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

Hi guys,

Glad people are using this! It's always been one of my fave mods which is why I'm trying to keep it alive until @N3h3mia gets back.

I guess I'll need to update the front page to have more direct links to the HOWTO and usage - figured linking to the original mod thread was enough.

Thanks for helping each other out here :) Especially the detailed respone from @nobodyhasthis2.

@GaiidenYeah, just an informational message; I'll change the tag to INFO instead of ERR.

On 5/1/2016 at 4:55 PM, Mister Spock said:

And are you required to ship experiments back to Kerbin, or can you transmit the results (thereby losing a significant percentage of science, I assume)?

If this working correctly. The aim is to get the experiments back to Kerbin. It suppose to present a bit of a logistic problem and makes space stations a bit more practical as well. So you will be flying up new science equipment and test samples to the station. Then bring back the test material for analysis on Kerbin. It encourages people to think about service missions to space stations. EVA play also gets a bit of a boost because there stuff to collect and move around. There is supposed to be a reward for returning test samples back to planet side. At least that is how the contracts are supposed to work.

Originally this tied in with the concept behind Station Science mod. Which has similar game play mechanics and also expands space station play. Take material into orbit and put it through a test program. Then return the material back to Kerbin for a reward. It is possible to do the analysis in orbit in Station Science but it required lifting about 100 tons of advanced lab, particle accelerator and test chamber up there. Initially it is just easier to come up with a economic taxi service for crew, equipment and test material. 

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.