Cannot Warp While Under Acceleration

Hi All

So on my first ever Jool mission (which looks to be a catastrophic failure as it looks like I grossly underestimated the amount of fuel required).

I'm trying to aerobrake (which is much harder now that atmospheres make your rockets blow up) in Jool to bring my Ap down etc. But every time I aerobrake, the game seems to think I'm under acceleration or something, and I can't warp anymore, the only way around it so far is to quick save (as normal saving doesnt work), then go out of the game, back in, then go to the space center, watch my Jool rocket, and use warp there, then when I need to do a burn or something, click "Fly" going back to the rocket, do the burn, then rinse and repeat?

Whats going on?

When aerobraking, you are under an acceleration. A negative acceleration produced from the drag of the atmo. As sal_vager said, use alt+ to use physics warp. It's only x2, x3, and x4, but it's better than nothing.

I noticed this on my first post 1.0 Jool mission. I was unable to time warp between 1000km and the atmosphere at 200km due to this message: "cannot time warp while under acceleration".

I remember having this issue too at some point - maybe you opened something (antenna, bay doors, ... ) that is touching something else and creating phantom forces that accelerate your vessel? (Read: a bug)

This has also happened to me last night on my first mission to jool.

I dropped the periapsis below atmosphere (150km or so?) for a little aerobraking. Didn't aerobrake much but could not engage time warp until above 1000km with that same message. Not only that, the craft did actually have some acceleration force acting on it, and was still reducing my orbit up to 1000km, albeit very slowly.

Plus, when returning from a Duna mission, I did the same when intercepting kerbin. Dropped the craft below 50km on kerbin's atmosphere for a little aerobraking, and couldnt time warp (just physic warp) till above some 400km or so, even though Kerbin's atmospheres ends at 70km.

Seems like a bug to me, triggered when crossing the atmosphere.

Yesterday I had the same thing, it happened to me after I installed "Stock bug fixes modules". When I reverted back to an older version (before yesterday), it was fixed.

You can get out of that phantom acceleration by F5 and F9'ing

Hope this helps, if you don't have the aforementioned installed, then it will be something else...

edit: I had this around Kerbin, LKO

Edited by Jenteb07

I'm having the same problem every time I go to Jool. It's the only place where I noticed such a thing.

High above the atmosphere (>300 km), I couldn't warp because of some unknown acceleration (ship at rest, torque disabled).

Work around: F5, F9, then engage warp very quickly.

Sometimes I get a bug where KSP thinks I'm throttled up. I'm not sure what causes it, maybe reloading the ship from the tracking station or whatever, I dunno, but if so, just press X again even though it's at no throttle, that seems to appease the Kraken. I only read the first page, so someone may have said this already, I'm too lazy to check. Hope this helps!

Nah I think its just that for some reason they extended the no warp thing out to 1000kms for Jool only or something.

This could be to prevent warping past the planet (And missing your aerobrake) because approach velocities to Jool are usually very high.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I suspect this "phantom force" has to do with tidal effects, that there might be enough of a difference between the center of mass and the ship's outer bits. It won't pull you out of warp when you descend to 1000 km, but it'll prevent you from warping 'till you're back up there.

I suspect this "phantom force" has to do with tidal effects, that there might be enough of a difference between the center of mass and the ship's outer bits. It won't pull you out of warp when you descend to 1000 km, but it'll prevent you from warping 'till you're back up there.

I think KSP only models gravitational acceleration on the vessel as a whole.

You could test this by putting a long girder vertically in LJO and looking for stabilisation.

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.