[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

COuld I also suggest that it save it's location and setup? IE, I tend to only use the "Experiments on this vessel" tab in the minimized state (smaller version), in a specific location. As soon as I load the game first up, it's back to the base settings and up in the left corner. Any chance this might make it in? I've yet to see anything that would allow for this.

Suggestions for a future version:

* Have the minimized view be only as big as necessary, so we can leave it in a corner of the screen. For example if there are only 2 experiments available the window will be half the size of when there are 4 experiments.

* When you click a experiment that can be done right now it performs the experiment.

Edit: * option to increase the font size, the text is way too tiny! in minimized mode.

Edited by cortina

5 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Sometimes it takes a while for the change to show up in CKAN and it's not the modder's problem.  If you're really in a hurry, manually install it.

It took three days, and sometimes it is the modder's problem, if they forget to change something.

In any case, manually installing a mod normally maintained by CKAN is often more trouble than it's worth, as CKAN will see the change and require that you uninstall it manually before it will take control of it again.

On 26 January 2016 at 2:43 AM, Shadriss said:

COuld I also suggest that it save it's location and setup? IE, I tend to only use the "Experiments on this vessel" tab in the minimized state (smaller version), in a specific location. As soon as I load the game first up, it's back to the base settings and up in the left corner.

Like it!  That's going on the list.

On 28 January 2016 at 11:13 AM, Furious1964 said:

CKAN is not offering the newest version. Please check that.

Those guys do a good job and take their own sweet time.  They cook good food slowly.  As the guardians of the true mods, I'm not gonna criticise their methods.

23 minutes ago, Tfin said:

It took three days, and sometimes it is the modder's problem, if they forget to change something.

In any case, manually installing a mod normally maintained by CKAN is often more trouble than it's worth, as CKAN will see the change and require that you uninstall it manually before it will take control of it again.

It took three days.  If you want to check on a CKAN submission it is publicly visible on GitHub.  After KSP 1.1 I'm sure the CKAN guys will do a great job and test and approve mod upgrades quickly.  Now, while things are slow, they check them less often.

Hi, Thanks for the great mod.

Also +1 for the Lab-centric view proposed in the new version.  I lave labs in space stations and on landers that will never return to Kerbin. I am interested only in the experiments remaining that I can process in any particular lab.  I can somewhat figure it out now, but the ability for a simple yes/no without Kerbin recovery would be really useful. Or, maybe include transmit only, as every experiment in the lab can also be transmitted.

Thanks

Spoiler

The mod doesn't work with ResearchBodies. You can't see science for bodies you discovered using the telescope.

The "Show all experiments" sorting works, but any other does sorting doesn't.

9e793d872b050fcb815c16ecf1d10698.png

0269b1101b9981d979ae09fa3bcbaa69.png

161adcc903c9f90cb08c06a32a168598.png

EDIT: some thing happened (magic?), and Minmus appears now on x science lists with researchbodies installed.

Edited by Thegamer211
the bug vanished?

@Z-Key Aerospace, Is there any way you could add total science points available if it is not hidden in there somewhere already.  Currently I am working on 2 tech trees and it would be incredibly useful when balancing the tree.  I know it would only be a lower limit/approximation, but that is all that is needed.

• 1 month later...

Been using the mod for a while and I really do love it.  My only gripe is that I have some things on the list that are not achievable, like experiments from surface experiment package that can not be run in an atmosphere, but they are listed as not done for all the Kerbal biomes.   Anyone know how to fix this?

On 17 March 2016 at 0:30 PM, eberkain said:

Been using the mod for a while and I really do love it.  My only gripe is that I have some things on the list that are not achievable, like experiments from surface experiment package that can not be run in an atmosphere, but they are listed as not done for all the Kerbal biomes.   Anyone know how to fix this?

Could you be more specific?  What experiment is this?  I'm guessing it is from some mod.  If you have found an experiment that has its own rules then the best thing would be to edit "science.cfg"

[x] Science! ships with three filters at present.  Each experiment that needs fixing would need an additional entry.

dmbiodrillscan = NeedsAtmosphere
HMI = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow
STEREO = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, archarius said:

I have made an account on the forums just to say how much I love your mod!

Without it you can clearly feel how much of an impact it has on my gameplay.

Fingers crossed for 1.1 update. :)

Thank you.

I don't have Steam.  You'll have to wait till they release 1.1 properly.

Don't worry, I'll get [x] Science! updated just a soon as I have something to compile against.

On 4/5/2016 at 10:50 AM, archarius said:

I did try, but it does not work. I think a lot has changed in the menus, however the good news is it's going to be updated! :)

As expected - the real question is when? I'd forgotten how much of a pain it is to keep track of completed vs uncompleted experiments. It's unfortunate that the author doesn't have this through STEAM, as it would have allowed him to work on the new version as it stands, but since that's not the case, I was hoping that it would have still functioned at some level. I'd have checked myself, but CKAN won't let me install anything that it's specifically setup for 1.1 at the moment.

A pity, but definitely waiting for this (along with Science Alert, as Ilanthas mentioned) to have updates - the science game is so much more tedious and time consuming without them.

On 5.4.2016 at 7:50 PM, archarius said:

I did try, but it does not work. I think a lot has changed in the menus, however the good news is it's going to be updated! :)

On 10.4.2016 at 9:53 PM, Shadriss said:

A pity, but definitely waiting for this (along with Science Alert, as Ilanthas mentioned) to have updates - the science game is so much more tedious and time consuming without them.

Guys, pay more attention to Github activity. Many essential mods that still await official updates have been silently forked by people and updated for 1.1. Some of them are mere recompiles as opposed to actual, functional updates (i.e. they won't work regardless). But not so this one - the fork seems to be working just fine. I'm not going to post a link since I don't want to p!ss official maintainers off. Just explore the official Github repository a little and you'll eventually find it.

Edited by MaxRebo
FFS, word censorship? Really, Squad???

2 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

Guys, pay more attention to Github activity. Many essential mods that still await official updates have been silently forked by people and updated for 1.1. Some of them are mere recompiles as opposed to actual, functional updates (i.e. they won't work regardless). But not so this one - the fork seems to be working just fine. I'm not going to post a link since I don't want to p!ss official maintainers off. Just explore the official Github repository a little and you'll eventually find it.

While I appreciate your position, I think it is unreasonable to expect that everyone is going to keep an eye on every Github repository for every mod they are interested in. You position also assumes that everyone even understands what a fork is (which, honestly, I barely do), how to find them (which I don't), or even how to find their way around Github in the first place (which, again, I don't.) If it's been forked, great news. Glad to hear it, and I'm glad you have that information and shared it. For that, I am grateful, and will try to figure it out from here. I would ask, however, that the 'Gee, are you guys really that dumb?' tone be left elsewhere, however.

Of course, if that wasn't your intention, or I'm reading more into your post that was intended, my apologies... the written word doesn't lend itself well to tone of voice, obviously.

2 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Of course, if that wasn't your intention, or I'm reading more into your post that was intended, my apologies... the written word doesn't lend itself well to tone of voice, obviously.

It really wasn't. I thought I was pretty well aware of the tone of my writing on the internet, but maybe I'm really not. Only reason I even bothered was because you in particular seemed desperate for an update and I actually wanted to make you aware you don't have to wait. It also wasn't my intention to suggest everyone should monitor every github of their mods (not even I do that). Only that they are always worth a look at times like this. Could have worded that better, and I apologize for coming across as condescending or arrogant.

I've seen that in many other mod threads people have been posting links to 1.1 forks with impunity. So as further apology, I think I'm going to risk it after all:

https://github.com/rem02/KSP-X-Science/releases

As a little help for future self-sufficiency in these matters:

you get an easy to read overview of forks of a Github project by clicking on the little number next to the big "Fork" button near the top-right of any of the main views of the Github site. The most likely candidate to have a working update is the fork with the commit graph that extents right the most. Just click on the last node in that graph (usually labeled "master") and Github will take you to the corresponding commit view page on the fork's repository. There, just click on the "<> Code" tab to get to the main view, and there click the sub-tab "Release(s)". Sometimes, there are no releases in the repository. Then there's usually a "GameData" or "Output" folder in the repository containing the release folder structure you need to put into GameData. In that case, you just download the whole repository tree via the "Download zip" button.

I hope I'm being actually helpful this time...

Edited by MaxRebo
clarified explanation...

1 hour ago, MaxRebo said:

I hope I'm being actually helpful this time...

Quite a bit so, and you just filled in a number of things I was having problems finding. Thanks for both the clarification and the instructions - this was killing me trying to figure it out.

Besides - I figured anyone with a Oortolan as an avatar couldn't be all bad. :)

Since it's somewhat related, I'll edit this in - I assume that the mod still needs Blizzy's Toolbar. I tried the fork methodology you had above, and apparently, I'm still dumb. Any thoughts, or did I miss that this will work w/o Blizzy's?

Edited by Shadriss

10 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Since it's somewhat related, I'll edit this in - I assume that the mod still needs Blizzy's Toolbar. I tried the fork methodology you had above, and apparently, I'm still dumb. Any thoughts, or did I miss that this will work w/o Blizzy's?

Works both with and without Blizzy's Toolbar for me. Actually, I have the Toolbar installed because it's just so damn useful. But I can turn off Blizzy integration in the [x] Science settings and the AppLauncher button appears and works just fine... I can only assume something went wrong with your install? Those instruction are only for getting a compiled release from a fork (as opposed to just its sources). If you've found something to download, then you most likely did everything right. Have you tried the release I linked above for comparison?

10 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Besides - I figured anyone with a Oortolan as an avatar couldn't be all bad. :)

I'd like to think so too... :P

Edited by MaxRebo
derp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.